C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!

I just did the Ranger method of changing the clutch fluid (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-issues-2.html) and after a few pumps of the clutch my clutch master cylinder is now squawking! I am !

I used Prestone Dot-4, which is supposed to be compatible with Dot-3. The owners manual says that you can use GM 12345347 or Dot-3 so I didn't think much about using Dot-4.

I immediately went down to my local Chevy dealer and bought some GM 12345347 and tried replacing the Prestone using the Ranger method and the squeak is still there! So I may have ruined my clutch master cylinder!

Do yourself a favor and DON'T use brake fluid! Use GM 12345347. It supposedly has some seal lubricant in it.

Others have had this problem so be aware! Hopefully the squeaky will go away over time.

By the way, my shop manual says that you don't have to change the fluid if it looks dark. This is normal and is caused by the carbon in the seals and does not effect clutch performance. I wish I had followed what the manual said.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I just did the Ranger method of changing the clutch fluid (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-issues-2.html) and after a few pumps of the clutch my clutch master cylinder is now squawking! I am !

I used Prestone Dot-4, which is supposed to be compatible with Dot-3. The owners manual says that you can use GM 12345347 or Dot-3 so I didn't think much about using Dot-4.

I immediately went down to my local Chevy dealer and bought some GM 12345347 and tried replacing the Prestone using the Ranger method and the squeak is still there! So I may have ruined my clutch master cylinder!

Do yourself a favor and DON'T use brake fluid! Use GM 12345347. It supposedly has some seal lubricant in it.

Others have had this problem so be aware! Hopefully the squeaky will go away over time.

By the way, my shop manual says that you don't have to change the fluid if it looks dark. This is normal and is caused by the carbon in the seals and does not effect clutch performance. I wish I had followed what the manual said.
Thousands of Corvette owners have kept their clutches operating perfectly using Prestone DOT4 fluid and the protocol I recommend. The squeak you note will disappear with some pedal pumps and driving.

GM recommends DOT4 fluid for all Corvette clutches. That change was made via a tech bulletin in 2007. Your dealer isn't up to date.

It's proven that clutch dust is turning the fluid black. Watch the video.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 08-25-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Default Good to hear the squeak will go away

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thousands of Corvette owners have kept their clutches operating perfectly using Prestone DOT4 fluid and the protocol I recommend. The squeak you note will disappear with some pedal pumps and driving.

GM recommends DOT4 fluid for all Corvette clutches. That change was made via a tech bulletin in 2007. Your dealer isn't up to date.

It's proven that clutch dust is turning the fluid black. Watch the video.

Ranger
Ranger,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will go away soon because it is very annoying.

As a FYI, the GM product specifically states that it has lubricants to help eliminate clutch squeaking. Wonder why they put that on the label? It is also quite expensive at $16.50!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Ranger,

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will go away soon because it is very annoying.
It took less than a day of use for mine to go quiet and has ever since. Give it a little time.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ranger,

As a FYI, the GM product specifically states that it has lubricants to help eliminate clutch squeaking. Wonder why they put that on the label? It is also quite expensive at $16.50!
GM claims addition of a "secret ingredient" to justify the 5-fold price increase compared to competitors. Marketing 101.

I've used Prestone DOT4 is two C5Zs and one C6Z without issue. Zero squeaks. I sometimes have used GM Super DOT4 too. Performs no differently than Prestone DOT4.

I've seen squeaks in a few C5 clutches when first experiencing DOT4. I always suggest repeating the flushes until the fluid remains clean. The squeaks have always disappeared. Suspect yours will to with repeated flushes.

A master cylinder will last indefinitely with clean fluid. With clutch-dust laden corrupt fluid it's service life is severely truncated. All depends on how aggressively the car is driven.

Good luck. Let us know what you find about the squeak.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Eric D
It took less than a day of use for mine to go quiet and has ever since. Give it a little time.
Thanks, Eric.

Ranger
Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 PM
terryharrison
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01vetter did your squeak go away? I ask because I just changed the fluid in mine and I also used prestone DOT4 and now mine is squeaking.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ive done the ranger method several times using Prestone Dot 4 and mine is still quiet.

curious, how can a clutch master cylinder make noise if its just a cup holding fluid?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:54 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Default Still squeaking

Originally Posted by Fort Rucker
01vetter did your squeak go away? I ask because I just changed the fluid in mine and I also used prestone DOT4 and now mine is squeaking.
Not it hasn't gone away yet. I have put about 300 miles on the ODO since I changed the fluid. I think that it sounds a little better though. Hopefully a few hundred more miles might clear it up.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Default It's a hydraulic cylinder

Originally Posted by Ikester
Ive done the ranger method several times using Prestone Dot 4 and mine is still quiet.

curious, how can a clutch master cylinder make noise if its just a cup holding fluid?
It contains a hydraulic piston with some sort of rubber seals.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM
terryharrison
Advanced

Thanks. I am switching mine back to GM fluid to see if the squeak goes away. Had to order the GM fluid though so it will be a few days.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I put Motul 600 in my clutch last year. So far no issues other than having 130K on the clutch......
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Never used anything other than DOT 4 With 5 out of 7 of my Vettes being sticks, never had a problem or noise.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Not it hasn't gone away yet. I have put about 300 miles on the ODO since I changed the fluid. I think that it sounds a little better though. Hopefully a few hundred more miles might clear it up.
Suggest you change the fluid in the reservoir each time you drive the car. Do that three or four times and I suspect the squeak will disappear.

Prestone DOT4 has been run in many C5s. Should work in yours too.

Anyone going with GM brand needs the "Super DOT4 Brake and Clutch fluid PN 88958860." It's 5X the price of Prestone DOT4 and performs about the same.

Ranger
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Until I need to flush the whole system, I am sticking with the GM DOT 3 fluid, which is supposed to have additional friction modifiers.
You may have trouble getting it since most dealers are now just stocking the new DOT 4 part number for the C6s.

It is one of those parts that if the dealer does not stock it, you will have to order a case from GM. I searched the dealers in my area and finally found some.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikester

You are confusing the master cylinder with the reservoir. The master cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal and is what pumps fluid to the slave cylinder.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Until I need to flush the whole system, I am sticking with the GM DOT 3 fluid, which is supposed to have additional friction modifiers.
You may have trouble getting it since most dealers are now just stocking the new DOT 4 part number for the C6s.

It is one of those parts that if the dealer does not stock it, you will have to order a case from GM. I searched the dealers in my area and finally found some.
If your process is working for you, great.

Others should be aware of two points.

In 2007 GM Power Train revised the spec for fluid for all Corvettes with a hydraulic clutch. It was changed to DOT4 brake fluid, vice the previously specified DOT3. That change offers a higher dry and wet boiling point for the clutch fluid.

Both GM-brand Super DOT4 and Prestone DOT4 are compatible with GM DOT3, that was OEM in C5 Z06s. So the three fluids can be mixed without issue. There is no need to change all the fluid at once.

The more times you swap the contents of the clutch reservoir using DOT4, the cleaner the fluid will be, eliminating accumulated clutch dust, and the closer the boiling point will be to the new Corvette spec.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
You are confusing the master cylinder with the reservoir. The master cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal and is what pumps fluid to the slave cylinder.
ah
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I have been using Prestone DOT4 and the Ranger method for clutch fluid swaps ever since I picked up my Z earlier this year. No squeaks, and I swear the shifting has improved (could be in my head though). Doesn't DOT4 have a higher boiling point too? Regardless, as Ranger mentions, it is recommended per a GM service bulletin and much cheaper than GM's own stuff. Very cheap at Walmart and will save you lots of $$$ in the future if you do this routine maintenance!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
The Stranger
Racer

lol

Quick Reply: Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!