C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:45 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's....

If a rim ever needed re-siliconed, is this something that one can do in his own garage, or to be done at a local tire store, OR, does it require the rim to go back to factory (HRE)? i am considering a set of HRE's but the seller indicates they need resealed with silicone. thanks for your input.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:46 AM
NastyC5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (rwj383)

:confused: I have no idea.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:24 AM
Ray'98
Racer

If in fact rims needed to be resiliconed I would send them back to HRE for a couple of reasons. First if they do need attention, in my opinion, they have or had some other problem, so have HRE take a look at them. Plus they will do the job correctly. Second, they probablly have to come apart anyway, have then spruce them up while they're there. I've had mine on the car since '98 with no problems at all. I'm not sure why they would start leaking and don't remember hearing of this type of problem before. I'd probablly give them a call directly and get their input, day da man.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:25 AM
Paul R
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (Buckmaster)

The silicone sealant is used to create an airtight seal between the two rim halves to prevent air leakage.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:58 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (Paul R)

Sounds like the seller's tire guy may have scored it when mounting/dismounting the tires, OR, possibly he took them apart for some reason. I'd send em to HRE. :yesnod:
Old 02-19-2002, 09:13 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (indypace78)

Sounds like the seller's tire guy may have scored it when mounting/dismounting the tires, OR, possibly he took them apart for some reason. I'd send em to HRE. :yesnod:
that's just it....why do they need resealed, i asked. i havent heard back from the seller yet. if i need to send them to HRE to get worked on, i need to consider that before i shell out the $$$$. anyone know right off the top of their bean what HRE would charge to break down and reseal all 4 wheels, no other work included?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Ray'98
Racer

RWJ,
Shipping from NY is about $70 each way, and the cost of HRE to do the work, not cheep. Again give them a call they have set prices to do specific things and would verify cost before shelling out any money. Just a thought, if you might be considering changing the width, this is the time. Rim halves are relatively inexpensive to change when they are already apart.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:19 AM
jeff_nation
Racer

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (ROBOPTI)

My front left had a slow leak due to the silicone bead. I dunked the whole thing in water---found and marked the leak. Then off the the wheel shop to get the tire off and I ran a bead over the marked area. It is airtight now. Saved me shippping costs and having to swap the OEM wheels/tires back on.

I have also found a few bolts around the wheel that were loose and needed tightening. When you recieve your wheels from HRE take the time to inspect them carefully. They are some of the best out there but they are still made by human hands and there is a chance for error.

Good Luck-Jeff Nation
Old 02-19-2002, 03:01 PM
jetskifast
Melting Slicks

You may also want to try http://www.fixrim.com Quick turn around, one day for repair.
Dealer curbed one of my HRE wheels. I did not want to wait a few weeks for HRE to fix rim. Had nothing to loose trying another vendor, as wheel is already damaged. If wheel repair shop screwed up repair, I would just ship wheel to HRE.
Gave http://www.fixrim.com a shot at repair. Repair came out great and was completed in one day:cheers:
Old 02-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (jetskifast)

Hey Jetski... what ever happened with that situation? Did you get it resolved?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:10 PM
HIGHRPM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (NastyC5)

When I took receipt of 4 new HRE 547's...the 2 front rims leaked badly.....I sent them back to HRE for repair....they assured me that it would take "only a few days"...iut took me 4 WEEKS !!!! to get my rims back.....they just offered excuses and put me off.....I was not at all pleased with the way HRE handled my problem.....it turned out that the rims leaked at the stem...manufacturing error....all is OK now...but they still leak 2-3 lbs. every 3 - 4 months.....I won't send them back again....I don't want the car on blocks for a month...
Old 02-19-2002, 08:46 PM
jetskifast
Melting Slicks

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (Tiger Shark)

Tiger Shark
Parker Robb Chevrolet Walnut Creek Calif refused to pay $125 damaged wheel repair bill. HRE wheel was damaged while having service at Parker Robb Chevrolet:mad
My only option was to take Parker Robb Chevrolet to court. For $125 I did not feel the time was worth the effort.
Anytime I see Parker Robb Chevrolet posts. I make sure and post, what crap customer service I received from Parker Robb.

[Modified by jetskifast, 4:48 PM 2/19/2002]
Old 02-19-2002, 08:49 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Default Re: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's.... (jetskifast)

Tiger Shark
Parker Robb Chevrolet Walnut Creek Calif refused to pay $125 damage wheel repair bill. HRE wheel was damaged while having service at Parker Robb Chevrolet:mad
My only option was to take Parker Robb Chevrolet to court. For $125 I did not feel the time was worth the effort.
Anytime I see a Parker Robb Chevrolet posts. I make sure and post, the crap customer service I received from Parker Robb.
Well, at least I'm glad the repair only cost $125. That's not too bad, but they should've taken care of it. Glad to hear your wheel got fixed at least. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's....

Quick Reply: those of you with 3 piece rims such as HRE's....