C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 AM
highender
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?

HEllo guys:

I thought my vette would come with an optima battery...since that was in the photos

but when I got the car, it had an AC Delco Professional 640 CCA, 320 battery. The seller said this battery was better.

I thought Optima red top were better ?!

What do you guys think...or what are your experiences or advice...

thanks

Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

"Best" is a subjective term..............I prefer an AC Delco for how I use my C5.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AC delco for sure!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OPTIMA red top by far
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
skinny1
Advanced

If you are going to be showing the car it better to have the original equipment. AC Delco!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

Originally Posted by highender
HEllo guys:

I thought my vette would come with an optima battery...since that was in the photos

but when I got the car, it had an AC Delco Professional 640 CCA, 320 battery. The seller said this battery was better.

I thought Optima red top were better ?!

What do you guys think...or what are your experiences or advice...

thanks

Any battery that you can take back if it doesn't make it to the end of its warranty!!! and its a 10 minute over the counter swap with no hassle... autozone is good for this!!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

As more Optima batteries are being used, people are finding that they fail just like any other brand of battery, plus they cost much more.
I would stay with the ACDelco Professional grade battery, which comes with a 50 month, free replacement warranty. The best in the industry.

Since you have a top post battery, you don't need to be concerned about leakage, as has been a problem with the side post batteries.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

AC/Delco 7 year battery is the way to go

IMO Optimas are alot of hype with a high failure rate.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

I have good results with the Exide Orbital, it is a AGM, so no acid to run out. You can get these at Sams Club, Costco, and BJ's to name a few. I have a local auto parts house carrys the Orbital. I have had one for the last 4yrs. with no problem. I also have 4 of the Orbital in my boat for the last 4yrs as well. I am a believer.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
EOS 05
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I've had decent results with both.

I like that there's way less acid to splash around if anything breaks in the Optima v the Delco.

Either way, best thing to do is hook the car up to a charger once every week or two so the charge doesn't get too low and kill the battery if you don't use it all the time. A guy at the battery store told me charging constantly would keep heat going through the battery almost all the time which isn't good. I had a dead cell in an Optima in my Z06 probably cause I slacked off on the charge maintenance. It only would charge to 11.3 Volts and would quickly drop off so Ii was pretty sure it had seen better days. No problem getting money back however.

I've killed both kinds of batteries. The big trick is maintenance or constant use. You'll probably be fine either way.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM
chevylad
Pro

If you live in the heat here like Phoenix, the gel cel battery will live 5 years versus 2-3 for any other battery.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:56 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

I'd take an AC Delco over an Optima every day of the week. Although they may have a fancier looking case, Optimas are not worth what they cost when you consider the hassle factor in keeping them maintained (IMHO of course).
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM
MyNavyBlue2001
Advanced

Default Battery

After having an Odyssey dry cell AGM battery in my Yamaha Vmax(motorcycle) for six years running, without charging it or putting a tender on it...I was sold. I got an Optima yellow top about 3 years ago. A year ago, it failed on me on a trip 200 miles from home. Since I got it online, I couldn't swap it out at a auto parts store. I ended buying an Autozone battery to get me home. I came home and tried to charge it, but it wouldn't take a charge. I called Optima and was told that the yellow top had only a 12 month or 24 warranty. I was a little peeved. So, I'll never buy anything from Optima again. I have nothing against sealed batteries...just Optima. My 2 cents...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
highender
Intermediate

WOW>..... sorry to start a "war"......but what a civilized bunch we all are...

I thank each and everyone of you. YOu gave me a lot of insight and advice...which I will use .

The seller is a racer, and Optima is one of his sponsors . But he told me that he prefers AC Delco Professional....

I have a 1999 suburban supercharged by Stillen, with two Optima red top batteries...and have not had a problem with them yet.

I guess I will stick with what I have now...the new AC Delco PRof series. I will put it on charger once a week , at the 2 amp slow charge rate.

Thanks again all !!!

Krispy Kreme donuts are on me...with beer or coffee to wash it all down...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still running the original AC Delco in my '02 (it's 7 1/2 years old now). Of course I've been trickle charging for the last 2 years which I'm sure has helped keep it going. Anyway, AC Delco will have my return business.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
highender
Intermediate

got it.

seller said to move up to yellow or blue if needed....but I have no problems with the two red top optimas on my suburban.

thanks again,,,guys.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DieHard Gold is 7yrs plus. Sits on a trickle charger and works fine after all these years.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Delco VS Optima

Originally Posted by chevylad
If you live in the heat here like Phoenix, the gel cel battery will live 5 years versus 2-3 for any other battery.
Hi, it's so nice to see the flame wars come back again every so often. INMO and actually as a matter of fact, in the Hottest areas the best battery for a vehicle is one that can be topped up with water when needed. And Optima is not a Gel Cel battery, it is as stated so many times an AGM which is an acid filled battery that contains it's acid solution in a glass mat medium. It is somewhat common knowledge amongst those that have some knowledge about batteries and the way they work that heat is a killer of batteries because it boils out the water and then the plates buckle and short. A battery that can be topped up with water and is maintained to a proper level will outlast a sealed, and agm any time, in a very hot climate, because they can not be topped up.
My personal preference is the Delco that is Made for the car. It has a great warranty, and if maintained properly as any battery should be to get the most life possible out of them, will last as long as any and more than some. And as an added bonus, it looks like it belongs in the vette.
OK--Got my flame suit on.
Good Luck To All
SEMPER FI--

Last edited by bestvettever; 09-08-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
highender
Intermediate

again...sorry if this is a sore subject. I just wanted each person's honest opinion, without any one stepping on anyone else's toes. I think we all accomplished that.
:-)

no flame wars please....
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first two batteries used in my 99 were the OEM Delco.

The first one died at 12 months, the second one at 18 month leaked in the battery box and on the computer. Took me about 8 hrs clean up.

I replaced with optima red which did not leak but only lasted 10 months. I warranty replaced it and it is now about 3 years old. My question is what is "normal" voltage for this AGM red top battery.

When I turn my ignition on with the dic set for voltage it reads 11.1 volts. I crank the car and it isn't as fast as a new battery but it does start. The voltage never falls below 10 volts while cranking.

Lately it is cranking slower and the voltages are about the same. I suspect the battery reserve capacity (cranking amps) are being reduced due to age.

Does anyone with a red top battery know the voltages for me to compare.

Ignition on lights off
Lowest observed Voltage while cranking for start
Engine running lights off a/c on.? thanks

Quick Reply: Battery: which is best, AC Delco or Optima ?