C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"stealership" translation needed -BCM reprogramable or no

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "stealership" translation needed -BCM reprogramable or no

ok, long story short (er, still kinda long) --

my 97 got a 2002 PCM as part of the the big rebuild. That part's fine, I can do everything required there.

The single key the seller was willing to part with is so worn down that it trips VATS every single time...

Since I already had the electrical system all apart, I asked the local chevy dealer if I could upgrade to a new BCM and have it reprogrammed -- they said yes, but it needed to be in the car already.

Fine, I found a 2001 BCM with 2 keys, all cylinders, etc. on the auction site for $45. Obviously, I bought it Everything is installed, the car runs fine, but needed the ABS autobleed proceedure (had all the brakes off too).

I went back to the same local dealer and said I needed to reprogram the BCM to match my options, do the autobleed and turn off the TPMS circuit.

The service advisor looked me in the eye and said "They can't be programmed that way."

I said "Which way?"

He said "Any way. They can't be programmed."

We settled on him doing the autobleed (and I'd find someone else with a techII)... The tech came in a bit later and said fuse #1 had no power so I had a problem with the fuse box. I explained the BCM swap again. He was sure the BCM wasn't involved, so we ended up tracing schematics in the service manual, to the relay that is switched on by the BCM. He jumped the relay and did the autobleed.

I asked him about turning off the TPMS and he was non-commital. I asked about reprogramming the BCM and he changed the subject, but later said "you're using the wrong parts. We won't program it."

Finally, I mentioned that I did this because of the worn out key and that I bought everything for $45. I asked if they could just program the new key code into my 97 BCM. "Nope those are set at the factory."

Ok. What can be programmed on the BCM? Can the VATS codes be changed? Can I use my 2001 cylinder with the 97 BCM? Can I use the 2001 keys, 97 cylinder, 97 BCM?

Am I stuck paying $180 for keys??

Why hasn't EFI Live made the BCM visible yet?

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 09-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay first things first:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpost.php?p=127605

VATS Relearn isn't difficult (at least with HPTuners)

TECH II can turn off the TPS on a 2001+ car

The rest, I duno. Good luck!

Last edited by iced98lx; 09-08-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

To be clear, I'm not talking about a VATS relearn. I'm talking about changing the VATS codes to a new set of keys.

Some self-answers (through experimentation )

Can I use the 2001 cylinder with the 97 BCM? NO
Can I use the 2001 keys, 97 cylinder, 97 BCM? Not unless I can reprogram something in the BCM
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

I regressed to the 97 BCM, 97 cylinder and ignition switch, and 97 key. It took FOREVER to get the VATS relearned... My EFI gave no feedback that the process was completed so I did it about 900 times (the security light never went out).

Now my ABS / traction control issues are solved, but I have new codes.

B0432 -- Rear Defogger Relay Circuit
and I had an Hx code C1225 -- LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation

I cleared the 1225 and it didn't come back yet, but I also didn't actually drive the car...

I'm a sad panda as I now have to unmount the tires, buy and install TPMs and buy new keys
Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote: Am I stuck paying $180 for keys??
----------------------------------------------
Keys, $14.99 on big auction site. Got to know your VATS #, then any Locksmith can cut the keys for you.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

How do you get that VATS code? Dealership again?

Actually I might have it... Is it a 9 digit number (from memory so the count might be off)?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:22 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Measure the resistor in the key with an Ohm Meter. 15 diffrent combinations. Instructions on the big sight.

And NOOOO, I'd stay away from that dealer if I were you????
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

VATS #, Resistance in ohms

1 392
2 523
3 681
4 887
5 1.13k
6 1.47k
7 1.87k
8 2.37k
9 3.01k
10 3.74k
11 4.75k
12 6.04k
13 7.50k
14 9.53k
15 11.80k
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Thanks Byron -- my keys are on the way!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Thanks Byron -- my keys are on the way!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Quote: Am I stuck paying $180 for keys??
----------------------------------------------
Keys, $14.99 on big auction site. Got to know your VATS #, then any Locksmith can cut the keys for you.
Byron

How do you determine the VATS number??? I know that you can read the key resistance but how do you know what resistance the BCm needs if you dont have a key????

Bill
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The VATS keys all have the same possible values so any year key could work with any year car.

The lock cylinder just has contacts to connect the key to the BCM so what lock cylinder is used certainly does not matter as long as the key can turn it.

Obviously you have an old BCM talking to a new PCM already so it appears that any combination of PCM and BCM is possible too.

I don't see why the key value can't be changed. It appears the BCM creates a "password" which is sent to the PCM to allow fuel. The PCM just needed to learn this new "password" when you changed it.

Here are some quotes from the 2001 service manual;

**Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration

The service BCMs EEPROM chip must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations by using a scan tool. The EEPROM stores information regarding the vehicle options and point of sale. If the BCM is not properly configured with the correct RPO codes, the BCM will set default values for some systems, which could cause malfunctions in other systems. When the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programed to identify the following information:

Country of Sale (US, Canada, Europe, Japan, etc.)
Real Time Damping (RTD)
Memory Options
Front Fog Lamps
HVAC (C60-Manual, CJ2-Automatic)
Active Handling
Auto Headlamp Control
Power Tilt/Telescope Column
The BCM sends password information to the PCM on the serial data line to enable fuel for Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) functions, therefore, the PCM must also be programmed to accept the new password sent by the BCM. The BCM programming procedure will enable the learn password mode for both the BCM and PCM. This mode allows the PCM to learn the new password sent by the BCM whenever the BCM or PCM is replaced. If the BCM and PCM are not properly programmed together, the vehicle will exhibit a no start condition and the PCM will store a DTC P1631.

When an ignition key or the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programmed to accept the resistance value of the new or existing vehicle keys in order to allow PASS-Key® operation. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrents.

**Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Important
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn the passkey data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use these procedures after replacing:

BCM
PCM

10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
Tech 2
Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a Techline terminal.
On the Techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the Techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).
With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

--
So, it appears you could have done the 30 minute relearn procedure yourself without any diagnostic or programming equipment.

The options listed above for the BCM could certainly have been changed with a Tech2.

After you installed the 2001 BCM they could have just treated the vehicle as a 2001 at the dealership. You found a dealership with a tech who has no clue... fairly common. If that idiot could access the BCM to do the autobleed then he could have changed the options.

Peter
Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Byron

How do you determine the VATS number??? I know that you can read the key resistance but how do you know what resistance the BCm needs if you dont have a key????

Bill
I've done it before with a resistance decade box. Basically, pick the first VATS resistance and turn on the car. If the security light comes on, turn the car off and wait more than 3 minutes. Then, try the next resistance. It can take a while but the most common resistors are #4 to #6 I believe. GM has a box that allows you to do this too.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 09-08-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Bill, lionelhutz has it down Pat. The few times I've done it, I didn't have a decode box. I went to Radio Shack, bought a Resistor assortment and one small varible resistor (pot). Made up a combination that equaled VATS #1, then VATS #2---- and so on. Once I hit on the right one, car started right up! ?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The VATS keys all have the same possible values so any year key could work with any year car.

The lock cylinder just has contacts to connect the key to the BCM so what lock cylinder is used certainly does not matter as long as the key can turn it.

Obviously you have an old BCM talking to a new PCM already so it appears that any combination of PCM and BCM is possible too.

I don't see why the key value can't be changed. It appears the BCM creates a "password" which is sent to the PCM to allow fuel. The PCM just needed to learn this new "password" when you changed it.

Here are some quotes from the 2001 service manual;

**Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration

The service BCMs EEPROM chip must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations by using a scan tool. The EEPROM stores information regarding the vehicle options and point of sale. If the BCM is not properly configured with the correct RPO codes, the BCM will set default values for some systems, which could cause malfunctions in other systems. When the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programed to identify the following information:

Country of Sale (US, Canada, Europe, Japan, etc.)
Real Time Damping (RTD)
Memory Options
Front Fog Lamps
HVAC (C60-Manual, CJ2-Automatic)
Active Handling
Auto Headlamp Control
Power Tilt/Telescope Column
The BCM sends password information to the PCM on the serial data line to enable fuel for Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) functions, therefore, the PCM must also be programmed to accept the new password sent by the BCM. The BCM programming procedure will enable the learn password mode for both the BCM and PCM. This mode allows the PCM to learn the new password sent by the BCM whenever the BCM or PCM is replaced. If the BCM and PCM are not properly programmed together, the vehicle will exhibit a no start condition and the PCM will store a DTC P1631.

When an ignition key or the BCM is replaced, the BCM must be programmed to accept the resistance value of the new or existing vehicle keys in order to allow PASS-Key® operation. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrents.

**Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Important
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration .
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn the passkey data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.

Conditions
Use these procedures after replacing:

BCM
PCM

10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required
Tech 2
Techline terminal with current SPS (Service Programming System) software
Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.
Select "Request Information" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle and connect it to a Techline terminal.
On the Techline terminal, select "Theft Module Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Disconnect the Tech 2 from the Techline terminal and connect it to the vehicle.
Select "VTD Re-Learn" under "Service Programming".
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
With the Tech 2 (scan tool), clear any DTCs.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

--
So, it appears you could have done the 30 minute relearn procedure yourself without any diagnostic or programming equipment.

The options listed above for the BCM could certainly have been changed with a Tech2.

After you installed the 2001 BCM they could have just treated the vehicle as a 2001 at the dealership. You found a dealership with a tech who has no clue... fairly common. If that idiot could access the BCM to do the autobleed then he could have changed the options.

Peter
That's exactly what I thought. I did have the PCM/BCM portion under control -- the trouble was that the 2001 BCM was not enabling fuse#1 (ABS fuse) and was thus setting all the ABS codes, etc. The car ran great though.

The only puzzle piece left is the different part numbers for all the BCMs and whether there are any modular incompatibilities (e.g. the 97-98 EBTCM hanging out back...). I'd love to use the 2001 BCM so I can turn off the dadgum TPMs...

My wife reminded me that this was the dealership that refused to reprogram the BCM in her truck to fix the seat motors (sometimes when the truck BCM loses comms to the PCM the seat will randomly attempt to kill you at key on or key off -- easy fix: reprogram the BCM). This particular dealership refused and wanted to replace the seats...

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 09-09-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is possible to use the later model PCM with the older C5's, it just requires some changes to the pin outs to make everything work.
Check out EFIAlchemy.com I believe they are a forum sponsor.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

I'm asking about BCMs. I've already swapped my PCM successfully, programmed it, and done the VATS relearn.

Get notified of new replies

To "stealership" translation needed -BCM reprogramable or no

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

That's exactly what I thought. I did have the PCM/BCM portion under control -- the trouble was that the 2001 BCM was not enabling fuse#1 (ABS fuse) and was thus setting all the ABS codes, etc.
I'll have to take some time to look through the wiring diagrams for both years. Maybe there was a wire at the wrong pin on the newer BCM but it's also possible the ABS systems are different. It's also possible that it could be hot-wired to make it work. I'm not familiar enough with this fuse #1 to know what's going on.

Peter
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm asking about BCMs. I've already swapped my PCM successfully, programmed it, and done the VATS relearn.
Hey Erik,

Sorry to here of your woes. I have a tech2, that you could borrow, if you can figure out what you're suppose to do.

I used it to fix my wiring and change a few RPO codes in my project car and my Bro's Z06.

Drop me a PM, if need to use the Tech2 and I can ship it out to ya.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I'll have to take some time to look through the wiring diagrams for both years. Maybe there was a wire at the wrong pin on the newer BCM but it's also possible the ABS systems are different. It's also possible that it could be hot-wired to make it work. I'm not familiar enough with this fuse #1 to know what's going on.

Peter
Basically there is a relay that sits between fuse 1 and B+. The relay gets its trigger signal from the BCM.

I can wire in a switch or just change the signal to something that gets switched on with the ignition to avoid draining the battery, but what I'm really concerned is that there is some fundamental differences in the modules themselves between years and that's what's driving the BCM part numbers.

I know the EBTCMs are different modules between the years, but I can't imagine what would be different between a 97 radio and a 2001 radio, or turn signals for that matter

Quick Reply: "stealership" translation needed -BCM reprogramable or no