C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:32 AM
KC2GIW
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you guys think? New set? New brand? Back to stockers? What would you do?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by KC2GIW
The MS number isn't really Yella Terra, it's the Mako group - their importer/distributor I guess.

That's the exact number I called and there the person told me to send back one pair.
Did you call the Australian number? I would e-mail them as well and also contact the guy on LS1GTO. I'm sorry, but replacing one pair is unsat, they obviously have an issue as there are recent reports surfacing on several forums of multiple failures. I have these rockers and have installed them on friends cars. Knock on wood they have been rock solid. They seem to have manufactured a batch lot of them.

One additional thought. If you go to the Holden forums where many of the Australian manufacturers participate you could duplicate your post there. They may see it there and contact you or someone down there may be able to direct you.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:46 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I am running these as well and am of the impression this is a recent issue but am still concerned. I just sent an enquiry to the headquarters in Australia. Since it is Saturday over there now not sure they will see it until late Sunday here in the US.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
KC2GIW
Racer

I called back later yesterday afternoon and told them I'd be more comfortable replacing the whole set. Of course she couldn't make that decision so I'm waiting for someone else to call me back...and rather impatiently at that.

Perfect wrong time for this to happen - I have to go out of town for work for the next two weeks. :-(
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I called back later yesterday afternoon and told them I'd be more comfortable replacing the whole set. Of course she couldn't make that decision so I'm waiting for someone else to call me back...and rather impatiently at that.

Perfect wrong time for this to happen - I have to go out of town for work for the next two weeks. :-(
Do you still have your stock set of rockers? Might want to install them for right now so you can at least use the vette. Murphy's law, things ALWAYS seem to break at the worse possible time.

Keep us posted on what you come up with on the one.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Z QQH 6
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I had #5 intake go out this past weekend on way home from 09 Corvette Caravan. top part of rocker push rod side. Bearings intact. Contacted distributor local he gave me a # to call. I did got a woman who told me tech guy was out and he will probably say replace it. They are sending me a replacement pair. Did not ask for broken one back? I too would like to replace whole set because,,,,,,,,, I think a return call is in order. I'm going to try the #s given in this thread About 3000 miles on them.

Last edited by Z QQH 6; 09-11-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, Im the guy from ls1gto. I did have 1 fail at 5700 miles. Most all miles were very easy as once I put the heads and cam in, the clutch & slave started going. Then when I had the $$ for the clutch and all, I was still driving easy for the break in time. I had just finished the break in mileage and it broke.

In my ls1gto thread, I was contacted by a Doug Smith, and was told to send the broken set back, but I sent the whole set, pedistals and all. Turns out, I did the right thing. An Austrailan engineer called me 2 days after shipping, and wanted ALL of the rockers back. He even was keeping up with my thread about the failure and said that my setup of the rockers was spot on and was not the issue.

It took a little over 2 weeks from time of failure to getting the parts. TrickFlow even sent me a replacement pushrod for the damaged one at no charge. I did, however, have to pay for the shipping of the rockers to the Mako Group in Mississippi. Luckily I didnt have to pay to ship them to Austraila.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM
KC2GIW
Racer

Yes, I talked to the woman at Mako - and she was waiting for an answer from Doug. I'm going to call her again because I have to leave soon and I'd like to get things rolling ASAP. I might go back to stock in case I want to drive it for the 36 hours I'm home next week... :-(

This is worrysome. I wonder if I should go with scorpions or comps or just stick with stockers from now on. I have a feeling that if this was an exhaust rocker, my connecting rod wouldn't have been too happy...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:03 AM
KC2GIW
Racer

PS I'm over on the GTO forum too...only in the NE section though - same screen name.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I might go back to stock in case I want to drive it for the 36 hours I'm home next week... :-(

This is worrysome. I wonder if I should go with scorpions or comps or just stick with stockers from now on. I have a feeling that if this was an exhaust rocker, my connecting rod wouldn't have been too happy...
JMHO but I would put in the stock rockers and wait it out. I would expect that once they find the cause, be it material issue or machining that they would correct it and the design will once again work as it should.

As far as if it had failed on the exhaust, I really doubt damage to piston or connecting rod. It might backfire though. With the composite intake there is a chance of blowing a piece of it off, but even this is very unlikely.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

This is flippin awesome... I just put some YT Ultralights on in the spring after my HS modded stock rockers went south on me. Now I'm worried one of my rockers could do this... and I'm wondering if I should just get some COMP trunions and put some stock rockers back on there. Dammit!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was giving this some serious thought as my next mod. This thread sure made up my mind, and, saved me some coin.
Ed
Old 09-11-2009, 02:22 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
This is flippin awesome... I just put some YT Ultralights on in the spring after my HS modded stock rockers went south on me. Now I'm worried one of my rockers could do this... and I'm wondering if I should just get some COMP trunions and put some stock rockers back on there. Dammit!
How many miles on them? Most of the broken ones that have appeared on the various web sites have happened very quick/low miles.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I wonder if it's still possible to get Crane Gold rockers. The company's out of business, but these are supposed to be the best.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:24 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

Mine was roughly 3500 miles
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I wonder if it's still possible to get Crane Gold rockers. The company's out of business, but these are supposed to be the best.
Yeah, and what do you do if you have a problem with one of those.?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

valid point! What about scorpions? Any opinions on those?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zeevette
Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. Now running the YT's.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vettenuts
How many miles on them? Most of the broken ones that have appeared on the various web sites have happened very quick/low miles.
Sadly I haven't driven my Vette much this summer, I bought a new Jet ski and since my Jeep/Winter vehicle has a hitch... The Corvette has sat alot. They might have 1500 miles on them. I was planning on driving it from here in Michigan to Kentucky and back in early October. I'm having second thoughts.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

valid point! What about scorpions? Any opinions on those?
Why not just buy someones broken YT's?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?