C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Donaldson blackwing / maf sensor screen

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Steve Zamcheck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Donaldson blackwing / maf sensor screen

C5 2004 MAF sensor has a screen on the front. If you have a ZO6 you have NO screen.

Question: On a standard equiped 1YY07 6 speed with Magnaflow exhaust....If I remove the screen will that produce any codes or engine problems?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Obviously, there's a difference between the LS1 and LS6 motors that allowed for the change.

This is only from what I recall from past threads when this has been asked previously.

You probably won't feel any significant improvements in performance. You might experience some negative engine characteristics like a poor idle or surging. Either could produce codes.

That's all I can recall from memory, except that some suggested using a later model MAF w/o the screen and/or having a tune done to offset any issues. That isn't inexpensive in itself...and is any performance improvement from the screen being removed or the tune?

It's interesting that HALLTECH has recently come out with a MAF screen that is supposed to improve performance and eliminate lean codes.

You should be able to search or search this forum in C5 Tech (in the red banner) and find those discussions. Use keywords "maf screen" or something similar.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Steve Zamcheck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maf screen

Thank you Hot Wheels 57 for the info. I did check past issues. This created much discussion among many members a couple of years back.

Your correct...TUNE!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my screen out and felt no difference
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you wany to remove the screen? I have a blackwing on my 98 coupe with the screen still in the maf and I don't have any problems, and I never got any codes after installation.

Get notified of new replies

To Donaldson blackwing / maf sensor screen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Donaldson blackwing / maf sensor screen