C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette 2004 C5 Conversion to Electric

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
intoc6s
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After seeing how instant the power comes on, I would be interested to see what kind of 60-ft an electric car gets. Maybe i'll use GoogleSearch...

Only thing i keep thinking is - If all cars were electric(or the majority) would the govt find a way to tax the Chit out of electric, like gas?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply doing an electric conversion and trying to compete with the Tesla are two very different levels of projects.

In my mind almost nothing is impossible with enough time and/or resources. If you want to build something closer to the Tesla. Take a look at how it is built: regenertive braking, three phase ac motor and lithium ion batteries.

First, where do even get a set up for regenerative brakeing, a Prius? Will this entail different control arms, mounting points etc?

Why do they use a three phase motor? I would guess for the big power output, so also you need a DC to three phase convertor as well.

Then it comes to what I would say is your highest single cost, litium ion batteries. I would guess this part alone is going to run you 15 to 20 grand.

I say go for it if you are passionate enough to go out and learn or create. Just plan on spending a bunch of cash.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM
intoc6s
Drifting

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-corvette.html

Link to "Electric car smokes Corvette"
Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Raskolnikov
Advanced

Don't listen to the naysayers. If you have the money and the time then more power (pun intended) to you.

Although you aren't really inventing something new it must be said that without innovaters willing to take risks we'd be living like the North Koreans.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:31 PM
pgrovetom
4th Gear

Default Naysayers

I don't listen to the naysayers partly because if they need to ask "why" or say silly things, they aren't smart or aware or experienced to help anyway. Let them Blow their smoke and embarrass themselves to the self aware. If someone asks for knowledge on a Forum like this, those answers give Corvettes a bad name. Its sad but common.

I'm looking for people's advice with enough IQ and experience to actually help or at least say something positive.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 PM
pgrovetom
4th Gear

Default Sad

Originally Posted by chevylad
Simply doing an electric conversion and trying to compete with the Tesla are two very different levels of projects.

In my mind almost nothing is impossible with enough time and/or resources. If you want to build something closer to the Tesla. Take a look at how it is built: regenertive braking, three phase ac motor and lithium ion batteries.

First, where do even get a set up for regenerative brakeing, a Prius? Will this entail different control arms, mounting points etc?

Why do they use a three phase motor? I would guess for the big power output, so also you need a DC to three phase convertor as well.

Then it comes to what I would say is your highest single cost, litium ion batteries. I would guess this part alone is going to run you 15 to 20 grand.

I say go for it if you are passionate enough to go out and learn or create. Just plan on spending a bunch of cash.
I'm not trying to compete with a Tesla, its just a great example of what can be done.

Most of the newer AC motors and Controllers actually support regenerative braking. Even if they didn't, its about 10% improvement which is dwarfed by the battery problem.

Yes, 50KWhrs of LiFePO4 batteries will cost $18K. Look at what people put into racing. A new Corvette costs with options out the door is close to $100K. Mine has a $30K resale value. If I bought $20K in LiFePO4 batteries, then $25K for a Motor/Controller/converter and all the miscellaneous stuff for another $10K it would be lots of work but cheaper.

Except I wouldn't be just another Corvette owner. I would have the last C5 Z16 that would outperform that new Corvette in many categories. I would fuel it for free from the sun plus lower my overall electric bill and have something novel that is good for the planet. I just don't get why people are so negative.

I actually thought a Corvette Forum would have intelligent enthusiastic people that love novel things. I thought wrong it appears. I'll find another place to look for smart people. Sorry to bother all you.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pgrovetom
I don't listen to the naysayers partly because if they need to ask "why" or say silly things, they aren't smart or aware or experienced to help anyway. Let them Blow their smoke and embarrass themselves to the self aware. If someone asks for knowledge on a Forum like this, those answers give Corvettes a bad name. Its sad but common.

I'm looking for people's advice with enough IQ and experience to actually help or at least say something positive.
This is the nature of an open forum, so responses will vary, so you'll just have to live with that. Perhaps an electric car forum of some sort will precipitate the "positive" answers you are seeking. This forum is made up largely of corvette enthusiasts. Some members have mutiple corvettes, and truly have a passion about the car, it's history, etc.

If you think a lack of positive or helpful responses reflects the IQ or experience of forum members, you would be sorely mistaken.

The fact is, that many of us with experience as technicians, mechanics, engineers, etc. dedicate a great deal of time understanding the intricacies of the platform(s) we own, so we can help out other members.

Just don't surprised if others don't share your enthusiasm when it comes to cutting up a Z16(which is more collectable than other C5s) for an electric car conversion.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm not trying to compete with a Tesla, its just a great example of what can be done.

Most of the newer AC motors and Controllers actually support regenerative braking. Even if they didn't, its about 10% improvement which is dwarfed by the battery problem.

Yes, 50KWhrs of LiFePO4 batteries will cost $18K. Look at what people put into racing. A new Corvette costs with options out the door is close to $100K. Mine has a $30K resale value. If I bought $20K in LiFePO4 batteries, then $25K for a Motor/Controller/converter and all the miscellaneous stuff for another $10K it would be lots of work but cheaper.

Except I wouldn't be just another Corvette owner. I would have the last C5 Z16 that would outperform that new Corvette in many categories. I would fuel it for free from the sun plus lower my overall electric bill and have something novel that is good for the planet. I just don't get why people are so negative.

I actually thought a Corvette Forum would have intelligent enthusiastic people that love novel things. I thought wrong it appears. I'll find another place to look for smart people. Sorry to bother all you.
There is nothing wrong with the project, but a new corvette does not cost $100k, unless you are referring to a ZR1. As good as an electric motor is, it won't outperform a ZR1.

I cannot help you much with the electronics. If I were doing this project, I wouldn't start with a C5. I would sell the C5 and move down to a C3. There are a lot less electronics to deal with and you can sell your C5, buy a C3 and still have money left over to fund the project.

You are also very idealistic about how things work. Power from the sun isn't free, you have to buy solar cells which are not the most efficient method of power generation, nor is it 100% environmentally clean. There are a lot of nasty chemicals and pollutants needed to create solar cells. Your gasoline bill will go down, but your electric bill will definitely go up. If you are building it because it will be fun that is great, but if you are building it because it will be good for environment, then you are crazy because it won't be.

If you think I am dumb, well I have a B.S in Computer Engineering and a minor in mathematics. I also participated in the solar car project at my university. I have been to symposiums on solar and solar/electric cars and have seen what electrics can do and I am also aware of what they can't do.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by chaase; 10-15-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I like the idea of a electric Vette. However, I think the weight is the biggest issue. The C5 has a steel frame which is heavy. The C6 Z06 has an aluminum frame but is still too heavy. I don't see many serious racers getting below 2800 lbs. The engine is aluminum as well, so not a lot to be saved there. So, I think weight is going to be a problem that can't be solved. Even with running a turbine to ditch the batteries.

It may be better to build a tube frame and mount a Vette body on it. But that is just a Wild A$$ Guess.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll bet there'd be a lot more support on this forum...

http://www.electriccars.com/main.cfm
Old 10-15-2009, 05:05 PM
chevylad
Pro

so you are seriously considerting the Prius type of setup in the corvette. Will it even fit?

My biggest hurdle in the project would be the cash outlay. What do you plan on spending or is there a budget? The minum budget I would outlay for a project like this is 100 grand, but that's with no real thought into it.

First, I would look into materials first that I know of (batteries, ac motors, control logic, dc convertors, etc)

Next is labor. What can you do yourself. Can you weld, fabricate, design suspension geometry, etc) What do you have for tools to accomplish what you want or do you plan on buying a high end CNC lathe along the way.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but this is not a project for the faint of heart. You're talking about redesigning an entire car, which may include changing the frame, suspension, etc. It also takes some pretty deep pockets.

Tell you what. You figure out the car end and I'll work on the supplying electricity end. I'm buidling a solar trough generator and my polished stainless reflectors should arrive in a week or so.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good for the planet? The nickle for the batteries is mined in canada primarily(a huge eco hit right there as it is strip mining) it is loaded onto trains which arent eco friendly either.Then transported to rifinerys in europe using tons of fuel to move the ships,more trains.Then refined in polluting factories.The refined nickle then has to be shipped again by ship to japan which is the largest producer of the type of batteries needed(more pollution in production btw).Then shipped over seas to it's final destination.Now add in the power plants,mostly natural gas or coal fired to produce current to charge them.Add in the short life of the batteries and the cost to dispose or recycle them.Even you can see they are really a eco bomb!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 AM
The Boy Racer
Advanced

I give you props for thinking outside the box however you are going to run into some major hurdles. #1 Weight distribution- The Tesla is designed from the ground up as an electric car, so the builders already knew where to place the batteries to achieve awesome handling. #2 Electronics- Its not going to be a simple plug and play. You are going to need a whole new yet to be designed computer to ensure everything does what it's supposed to. #3 Please don't destroy a Z16. Buy a beater C5 or something.

Good Luck Mate
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 AM
chevylad
Pro

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Good for the planet? The nickle for the batteries is mined in canada primarily(a huge eco hit right there as it is strip mining) it is loaded onto trains which arent eco friendly either.Then transported to rifinerys in europe using tons of fuel to move the ships,more trains.Then refined in polluting factories.The refined nickle then has to be shipped again by ship to japan which is the largest producer of the type of batteries needed(more pollution in production btw).Then shipped over seas to it's final destination.Now add in the power plants,mostly natural gas or coal fired to produce current to charge them.Add in the short life of the batteries and the cost to dispose or recycle them.Even you can see they are really a eco bomb!
Are you sure you're not talking about NiCad instead of Lithium Ion?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by chevylad
Are you sure you're not talking about NiCad instead of Lithium Ion?

I think he is talking about NiCd, but the point is still valid. Batteries are not particularly clean to produce. Most of this stuff produces pollution when produced. Converting from a gasoline engine to electric just doubles up the pollutions. Instead of the getting the manufacturing pollution once, you are getting it twice.

Last edited by chaase; 10-16-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just buy the Tesla-why hack the Vette up. You'll drop tons of cash into this thing and have WHAT? An overweight SLUG is what you'll most likely end up with.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by intoc6s
Only thing i keep thinking is - If all cars were electric(or the majority) would the govt find a way to tax the Chit out of electric, like gas?
They already have. It's called Cap 'n' Trade. or Cap 'n' Tax. There's nothing wrong with an electric car, if that's what you want. However if you're doing it to go green, don't believe the hype that Soros and the MoveOn.org crowd are trying to sell you. The earth is starting to cool, the solar cycle is winding down, the ice caps are starting to reconstitute, the polar bears are repopulating, etc. All this does is put more money into Al Gore's, George Soros', GE's, and the large conglomerates' pockets that have been lobbying for the green technology they've put billions into.
As for my money, I just put a big forged Lingenfelter 403 in that makes 630hp N/A, gets 27mpg, and makes women and little children cry when I open the cutouts, while passing NJ emmissions. I like the sound and the outcome of the work I put into it. And I like the expression it puts on the Prius people's faces when I spin the tires at 60mph and smoke them. OTher than that I guess an electric vette would be ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette 2004 C5 Conversion to Electric

Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So individuals with dissenting opinions on your foolish fantasy about destroying a collectible corvette to install some make-shift electric drive train have lower IQs than you? Interesting assertion on your part considering you you know so little about your proposed modifications that you would come on here to ask for advice.

I think if you look in the mirror you will se a delusional self aggrandizing blow-hard that his only mission was to come on this forum to insult.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Just say this done to a 67 camaro. Go for it.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Meech
Advanced

I'll give you my old Nash metropolitan to hack up for the vette. Cool Idea I agree, but not a vette!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette 2004 C5 Conversion to Electric