C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water on the floor board

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, your the best!
You keep on helping and the pictures tell the story well.
Thanks for all you do for all of us.
Mine is still leak free!
Brad

Last edited by Boulty1961; 11-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM
superjet701k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDingo
I have water (not just a few drips) on my floor board. Not puddled up but it is VERY damp and it keeps the windows fogged up pretty much all the time. I have no idea where the water is coming in at but it's on both sides of the car so I ruled out the AC drain plug.

Any advice would be great because I need to get this sorted out before it gets too bad... I'm super stressed about this because I feel like this is going to cost me a lot of $.

I don't know if anyone has said it but I'm sure it's your AC drain tube is plugged very common
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Roz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
How did I know you have a ZO6?? Very common issue. The tri area where the windshield header, the top and the door drip molding meet is sealed with a putty. That putty dries out, cracks and BINGO,, you have the leak that your experiencing..

The ONLY way to properly fix it, is to remove the drip molding and resealing the area.

I will be doing this repair on the passengers side this winter. Yes,, LOTS of pictures will be taken.

Bill
In for pics/instructions. I have noticed I when exposed to a heavy downpour my passenger floorboard will get damp. The driver's side is dry for now. I may as well go ahead and do both sides.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I will be doing this repair on the passengers side this winter. Yes,, LOTS of pictures will be taken.

Bill
I will be looking forward to this. I have the same problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Roz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roz
In for pics/instructions. I have noticed I when exposed to a heavy downpour my passenger floorboard will get damp. The driver's side is dry for now. I may as well go ahead and do both sides.

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you checked the drain udders for the wiper wells? They may be a part of the problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html
I have not. I can see the trail/trace of water coming in the forward-most passenger-side door jamb. It seems as if the door jamb is flooding and the water spills into the cabin. Water shouldn't be that "deep" into the jamb with the door having a seal all the way around it. It has to be coming from above.

However, I'll probably look into the wiper udders too. It doesn't seem to complicated.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM
AQWIKZ
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

waiting for Bill to do write up so I can fix my leaks as I have the same problem. all utters are clean.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:57 PM
c5z16z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikesZ51Vette
waiting for Bill to do write up so I can fix my leaks as I have the same problem. all utters are clean.
me too were is this write up i have the same leak inside my c5 z , i have
it in the trunk passenger side compartment,

in the drivers side floor board,

and in the compartment behind the driver and passenger seats under the rear window....

sucks found out the hard way got caught in the rain,

will my extended warranty fix it ????
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM
03qkslvrZ
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had bigtime water leaks in my 03 Z. The water would run down the A pillars, and down the kick panels. Then after a hard rain I would find alot of water under the seats. Comes to find out, water runs down the driprails toward the windshield and into the car. It also runs back along the headliner and runs down and comes out where the seatbelt pulls out beside the seat. I talked to a local corvette shop and asked who did his windshields. He told me of a shop. I talked to the guy and he knew of this issue. He said the biggest problem was with the reveal mouldings. They would crack on the insides. I'm assuming the pieces that break divert the water where it needs to go. He also refused to replace it without genuine GM parts. Since he replaced my windshield, mouldings, and also the side weatherstripping around the windows, I have had no leaks. The whole job was $2600. Thank goodness for full coverage.

Last edited by 03qkslvrZ; 08-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 03qkslvrZ:
ArmchairArchitect (11-06-2018), CorvetteBrent (11-07-2018)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:41 AM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above you need to do both sides. I still have all of my pictures and information to completely seal the car. If my memory is correct you'll need about 2-3 tubes of caulk and about 5-6 hours of time to kill on a weekend. Making the dam inside the car can look messy but it's all covered with trim so you'll never know and you'll never have to worry about water again.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (11-07-2018)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Upstate
Safety Car

Location: [Quote=WOEII] Is dried brown doodie powders man! [/Quote]

Anyone have pics of this procedure?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Jax03z06
Intermediate

any pics of the dam???
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 06-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Big_George_S
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Anybody ask him if his wife was in the car when he took the 45 mph corner at 110 mph? Might be bodily fluids?

Sorry just had to do that.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:38 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

OH CRAP! That means you have an entirely different issue and it fairly involved to fix it. I too have a Z. Been there!!

Look at this picture. You will see WATER. The water comes from the area where the roof, windshield and door sorrund roof channel meet.

You have to take the roof drip channel off and seal that joint!!!

The water runs down the windshield pillar and leaks in here:

The water ends up on the door sill and then it runs into the floor area. Instead of fixing mine, I ran a TALL bead of silicone RTV sealer allllllllll the way across the door sill. It acts as a dam. Then the water just runs OUT of the car on to the ground. Have NOT had a leak issue since.

Sorry I dont have a pic of the dam but, its easy to build and invisable when the door sill cover is reinstalled.
I believe I have this exact issue with my C5Z because the last time I washed my car, I could tell it was only damp at the front corners of the headliner. But when it rains (much more water than a car wash), that water spreads in the cabin and gets everywhere.

That being said, what's involved in taking off the roof drip channel? Can I just neatly stuff black silicone in there without disassembling it, would that work?

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: water on the floor board