C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Fix for the dreaded Falling HUD Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FirethornC5
First off I have to thank KCJeff for posting the fix for the broken pin. I just purchased a used projector and it had the broken pin problem too. And, I believe someone was already in the projector and took the plastic clip from the opposite side. So, I figured a way to fix that side and here it is. I used a wire grommet.

Here's some pics & descriptions of what I did:
In case anyone is having trouble finding that grommet at their local hardware store, McMaster-Carr has them (http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-in-grommets/=s6yr10), part number 9600K11.

The good news is, they only cost $0.04 each.
The bad news is, you have to buy a box of 100, which gives "lifetime supply" a whole new meaning.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 AM
b_mouzakis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing dash 2005 c6

It's me again-
Does anybody have an exploded view of the mounting screws for dash removal. Forum group has been sending video and pictures for dash removal but I'm still looking for an printable exploded view showing me where all the screws are.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:14 PM
red 99 first vette
Intermediate

Default post collection

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Jeff

WOW! EXCELLENT work! I adding this to my post collection!

BC
hey bill I am a new vette owner and new 2 this forum , when I find great info like this how can I save this post or save a way back 2 it so I can view it later ? thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 PM
b_mouzakis
Advanced

Default Hud

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Nice write up

Mine doesn't drop, but I wish it projected higher. Im 6'2" and I cant see the whole display. A friend of mine drove the car. He's 5'9 and loved the HUD angle
I'm 6' 2" as well and have no problem seeing my HUD when I can keep it up . No cracks please. Due to the fault of your HUD this may be affecting the location of the window reflection.

Bill
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM
AParsh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completed the HUD repair over the weekend, along with a new sound system and HVAC repair. Unfortunately the directions in this thread are not very clear for actually removing the HUD from the dash for someone like me that has a z06 and is not just installing a full HUD system into a non-HUD C5. So here is some help for anyone stuck with the dash off.

There are 3 bolts holding the HUD - 1 on each side that are easy to see and one hiding behind the cluster on the left side. There is also a harness holding it in place, so you have to remove the bolts then swivel it around so you can remove the 4 small screws shown in the beginning of this thread's pics. With the screws out you can open the HUD and unplug the harness from the HUD PCB. Now you can take it out of the car to a work area. I dont recommend doing all this work inside the car, you'll drop screws and little pieces all over between your seats etc. I was able to figure out how to fix it, but unfortunately my bezel cracked into about 4 pieces, and the bosses were broken on both sides of my HUD. I still got it to work though so im happy. Make sure you test it before you bolt it back in or put the dash back.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:29 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AParsh
...There is also a harness holding it in place, so you have to remove the bolts then swivel it around so you can remove the 4 small screws shown in the beginning of this thread's pics. With the screws out you can open the HUD and unplug the harness from the HUD PCB. Now you can take it out of the car to a work area....
The other end of that harness plugs into the instrument cluster: it's a lot easier to unplug it at that end than from inside the HUD.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AParsh
...I was able to figure out how to fix it, but unfortunately my bezel cracked into about 4 pieces, and the bosses were broken on both sides of my HUD. I still got it to work though so im happy. Make sure you test it before you bolt it back in or put the dash back.
Same here. As it happens, it is possible to install the new bezel after the dash is back in place. Just trim the tabs off the back edge and put three pieces of foam tape on the rear and two sides HUD just inboard of the bezel ribs. Slide the bezel into the front where the dash meets the windshield, then drop it down onto the tape. (You may want to practice this move without the tape first.)
Old 06-28-2014, 08:22 PM
famdoc3
Intermediate

I did mine today. A "witch" of a job especially if you have big hands. It had broken over the screw on the medial side. Made a metal fitting and it's all back together and working well. Thanks to all the posters who supplied information which made it easier for me. MIKE
Old 06-29-2014, 02:33 PM
AParsh
Racer

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
The other end of that harness plugs into the instrument cluster: it's a lot easier to unplug it at that end than from inside the HUD.
I figured there was a way to unplug it from the instrument cluster, but i couldnt see a thing and didnt want to just yank on it and break something. Good to hear there is a way to unplug it from the instrument cluster though, can you describe to other members how that's done?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I started on mine today. Got to the last step in removing the dash (the point where you remove the hazard button and wiring). Could not get the switch to come apart so I thought I'd just unbolt the middle ac vent the hazard plug is attached to. Just finding those heads is a ***** as you have to do it with your fingers rather than your eyes. In separating the vent from the dash I broke the tab off on the hazard side, which can't be repaired or it will interfere with the hazard switch sliding back in. Frikken fracken!!!!!

Got the HUD apart and both the plastic grommet are broke as well as the plastic pin on the other side. Shuzbot.

I guess tomorrow I will be visiting the junkyard to find a vent and the hardware store to get a screw and rubber grommet. Fun stuff. Can't wait to try to realign the gears. Should be fun???? I keep telling myself I'm saving at least $600 I was quoted to do the fix...

Last edited by dbs1vette; 10-08-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:05 AM
b_mouzakis
Advanced

Default Hud repair

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
Well I started on mine today. Got to the last step in removing the dash (the point where you remove the hazard button and wiring). Could not get the switch to come apart so I thought I'd just unbolt the middle ac vent the hazard plug is attached to. Just finding those heads is a ***** as you have to do it with your fingers rather than your eyes. In separating the vent from the dash I broke the tab off on the hazard side, which can't be repaired or it will interfere with the hazard switch sliding back in. Frikken fracken!!!!!

Got the HUD apart and both the plastic grommet are broke as well as the plastic pin on the other side. Shuzbot.

I guess tomorrow I will be visiting the junkyard to find a vent and the hardware store to get a screw and rubber grommet. Fun stuff. Can't wait to try to realign the gears. Should be fun???? I keep telling myself I'm saving at least $600 I was quoted to do the fix...
My hat is off to you my friend. I have looked and peaked and poked at my dash board and am terrified just thinking about removing the dash. Doing these repairs I can handle. Its the dash removal I afraid of. When you get finished please let me know how long it took or any pit falls I should watch out for.

Bill
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Submitt2me
Banned Scam/Spammer

I'm having my windshield replaced next week and thats when I'll try this fix. It appears that I can access the HUD pretty easy with the windshield out or am I missing something that requires the dash to be removed?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you need to fix the falling HUD...sorry, having the windshield out does not provide access to what you have to get at to fix the HUD.

It's UNDERNEATH the dash and all the things you need to do to remove the dash really have to be accessed from starting with removal of the console, then working up from there.

If you have a full day (or longer) and some basic hand tools and read the write ups thoroughly and as I did, set your iPad there so you can refer to it often...it's not that hard.

For a skilled mech who does it regularly I'd say it's 4-6 hours. For someone who can read and comprehend basic instructions and is a little handy even though has not done it before, plan on 6-10 hours depending on what else needs fixed or what you might break. I was quoted $600+ to fix it and once I got in there and found wiring that needed rerouted from previous work as well as 2 broken dash tabs and hard wiring my gps and V1 I'm sure I would have been charged $800+ to do what I did myself, even though with parts chasing and such I had over 10 hours into it, my wallet is glad I decided to take it on.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Submitt2me
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by dbs1vette
If you need to fix the falling HUD...sorry, having the windshield out does not provide access to what you have to get at to fix the HUD.

It's UNDERNEATH the dash and all the things you need to do to remove the dash really have to be accessed from starting with removal of the console, then working up from there.

If you have a full day (or longer) and some basic hand tools and read the write ups thoroughly and as I did, set your iPad there so you can refer to it often...it's not that hard.

For a skilled mech who does it regularly I'd say it's 4-6 hours. For someone who can read and comprehend basic instructions and is a little handy even though has not done it before, plan on 6-10 hours depending on what else needs fixed or what you might break. I was quoted $600+ to fix it and once I got in there and found wiring that needed rerouted from previous work as well as 2 broken dash tabs and hard wiring my gps and V1 I'm sure I would have been charged $800+ to do what I did myself, even though with parts chasing and such I had over 10 hours into it, my wallet is glad I decided to take it on.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess its time to ****** a dash out. My turn signals have been acting funny lately as well. Sometimes they'll come on and sometimes they wont. Additionally, my temperature control display has stopped working. Im not an expert mechanic by no means but how can you go wrong when folks like Patches take the time to write a detailed outline on what to do. Forget the Z06 book for dummies when these guys are around.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 PM
AParsh
Racer

Having the windshield out will not be a huge shortcut, but it will make everything easier...much easier actually. I'm so happy i did this though, my heads up display is great.

My tip - don't ever mess with the HUD positioning again. Just let it sit in its one spot and don't fiddle with it. I feel like no matter what repair you do there's still a chance for it to break again....and anyone that's done it once would NOT want to do it again.

Fixing the HVAC (temperature lcd screen) is actually pretty dang easy. I've never soldered anything and just "went for it" based on the forum posts and it works!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:28 PM
PlasticCar
Advanced

I just completed mine today and I think that worst part was getting the gears to line up when you're putting the mirror back in the HUD. I was impressed with the quality of the dash and all the trim pieces except for the lower steering wheel cover. Most everything lined up where it should and was easy to get back together. One thing I found out is put the glove compartment in last or when you find out that you forgot to hook up the hazard warning switch or the two bulbs that go in the defroster, you have take it back out 2 or 3 times. For you gentlemen who are putting it off, I'm 72 and I did it in about 9 -10 hours. Just follow the great instructions and while not easy, it's not real hard as long as you can bend better than me.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crap, if ive got to remove the dash, I think i will just pay the $600.00 and save myself from the frustration and bleeding knuckles. I'm far too big and too old to be doing this, plus I'll end up frustrated and break something even more expensive...

Amazing write up, and as always, great input and installation tips from everyone who's posted in this thread, you guys are the best!

Thank the good lord for expendable income. I can justify this cost after changing the headlamp motors, seat foam and covers, PLUS the HVAC control module myself. I must have saved at least double the cost of this repair.

Thanks again gents...

Beast

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Fix for the dreaded Falling HUD Display

Old 06-03-2015, 03:36 AM
Guam135i
Advanced

Is there a write up on how to get the HUD out in order to fix it? new to Corvettes sorry
Old 08-08-2015, 10:10 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Jeff

WOW! EXCELLENT work! I adding this to my post collection!

BC
If you could add to this post. I repaired mine today and I found my right side broken but the left side bushing was missing as well. The left pin was just flopping around in a big hole.

To fix the left side I went to the hardware store and found a small rubber bushing which I was able to fit into the mirror bracket. It had a small hole just the right size for the pin. It ensured a tight fit with no movement from the mirror.

To align the gears on the right side you must look for the arrow on the mirror gear and align it with the mark on the motor gear in order to insure correct operation.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did this one today. Bushing on right is starting to take a dump but fixed the pin side and reinstalled. Yes, there are arrows on both gears to line up. About 3 hours start to finish.

Quick Reply: DIY Fix for the dreaded Falling HUD Display