C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using factory nutted studs on stock exhaust manifold collectors

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using factory nutted studs on stock exhaust manifold collectors

So whats up with the factory exhaust collector studs that have a permanent nut midway on stud that bottoms out against collector surface then a second nut thats tightened down onto the stud end.
Is there any reason just plain old bolts cant be used to tighten the collectors up with?

I broke all but one of the nuts off when trying to loosen them all even after soaking them in PB blaster. So instead of buying all new GM studs at about $5 a piece im thinking why wouldnt a .30 cent bolt work just as well. The picture below the stud/nut are actually in the opposite direction for the picture and I didnt notice it.

My weekend project...What fun!

Last edited by briann510; 10-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I only broke one stud on the passenger side. I through drilled it and used a 1/4" stainless nut and bolt.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Luckily no studs actually broke off in the manifold but only the outer nuts broke off on end of stud instead.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive used a stainless bolt. Just be sure to put some anti seize on the bolt liberally.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

I think the frozen nut problem lies in the fact the GM nuts are self locking and are hard as hell to get back off after many heat cycles. I heated one up wit ha torch to see if that would help and it broke off as soon as I turned it so it didnt like a torch put to it at all.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by briann510
So whats up with the factory exhaust collector studs that have a permanent nut midway on stud that bottoms out against collector surface then a second nut thats tightened down onto the stud end.
Is there any reason just plain old bolts cant be used to tighten the collectors up with?

I broke all but one of the nuts off when trying to loosen them all even after soaking them in PB blaster. So instead of buying all new GM studs at about $5 a piece im thinking why wouldnt a .30 cent bolt work just as well. The picture below the stud/nut are actually in the opposite direction for the picture and I didnt notice it.

My weekend project...What fun!
Stage 8 makes collector bolts that are lock tight and have a setup that will not come loose or allow the bolt and nut to be moving/vibrate loose.

Get notified of new replies

To Using factory nutted studs on stock exhaust manifold collectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using factory nutted studs on stock exhaust manifold collectors