C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best cam for my 98??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best cam for my 98??

I see you guys know what you are talking about so I'll try to make it easy to understand. I just bought a 98 and I want to put a cam and headers on it. It is a DD and an automatic, so I'm not trying to race, but I want it to sound mean and sexy and have some more *****. Like I said I would prefer a mean idle but not something too crazy, but something that you can tell is not stock. It already has a Borla Exhaust on it, but what would you guys say would be the best brand and style of a cam and headers for me? I'm going to stay with the stock heads if that's alright?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All time favourite, tested and proven 100's of times.

224/228, 581/588, 114 LSA....period for auto vettes specially. Assuming u will have boltons (Air intake, headers) before bolt on a cam.

search here in tech: man u will find cam threads pages, pages....pages, read as much as u can.

Also u need other related/supportings parts like valve springs, timing chain....u have that idea right?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 325 Likes on 202 Posts

Hey, Sami, you should sell him your extra cam - it's a bit bigger than 581, as I recall, but give him a stall and a set of 3.42 and he'll really fly....
Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Ok thanks. Now I don't know too much about cams (obviously) so is LSA the brand name? and how rough is the idle? and will this help me out with torque and acceleration or top end, b/c I'd rather have acceleration, or would this decrease either or. What do you believe is the best kind of air intake and headers also? I do know I need to change the springs, rods, and timing chain also but I don't know if they all come in one kit, if not whats the best kind of those should I get. Thanks again. Also sorry for the lack of knowledge on this stuff.:
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

To answer your question, Pretty much all aftermarket cam is mid-top end power, they wont give you SOTP feel in street less than 2k rpm. Dont know where u live but we have supporting tuners all over US (most states), if u live close to NJ/NY/CT/VA.. than there's lot of tuners. Call them and let em know what u want out of ur car.

Regarding mean idle, for wow factor than get the tighter LSA and small duration, lift somwhere around .560--.580.

Mean sound depends on LSA and Duration, and getting final how much overlap. More the overlap more the mean sound.

Fro ex: 228/232, and 113 LSA

228+232= 460
460/4= 115
115-113 (lsa)= 2
2*2= 4

4 here is overlap.

Stock 01 Z cam

204/217, .525/.525, 116.5 LSA.

204+217= 421
421/4= 105.25
105.25-116.5= -11.25
-11.25*2= -22.50 (overlap).

U really need to study urself, search here or on LS1tech.com, dont underestimate those Fbody guys they are way ahead of vette guys when it comes to modding. Dont depend on forum guys, Cam is the heart of engine, it literally changes the character of car.

GM ASA or LS1 Hotcam will give u that mean sounding, but it will be like more bark than bite.

Watch some videos on Utube.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Gbuick
Advanced

I live in Rhode Island so I'm close by. B/c I'm not trying to go 150+MPH so the better cam for up to 130MPH or so would be better for me. I've been searching You Yube and I really like the way it sounds in the video of "Daves c5 corvette heads/cammed/direct port idle". Also after putting a cam on with the stock heads do I really need to dyno tune it?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

You will find this helpful. I suggest you read it before you buy.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...cam-guide.html

You should have a very clear idea of what your goals are before you do anything. Any significant increase in power will require spending $$ to strengthen your driveline. I suggest you begin adding up all the costs before you get started. It adds up very quickly. Probably a lot more than you want to spend.

You can improve the sound of the car by just doing a catback system.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Ok thanks I'll try that site.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

That site is great!!! Thank you!!! I already have a Borla exhaust so what brand and style headers and intake setup do you believe would be the best?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

This thread is really asking to open up a can of worms with all these best questions, to put it short there really is no "Best" anything, it's all a matter of opinion a preference, unless of course your asking the best color; which is obviously QuickSilver!!!

I cannot to a better job of explaining the "best for you" cam than the ls1tech link, check that out, and do some more searching for cam selection on ls1tech (there ALOT of info on tech on cams)

As for headers, most choose between Kooks, ARH, LGM, and now a quite a few are choosing OBX (cheaper brand that used to be sold on eBay mainly). In all reality they've all been proven to be good choices, it's just a matter of what you want.

I went with Kooks, as Kooks has been making headers for a long time, anddd Maryland Speed (a sponser here of CF) was, and still is running a bangin' special buy Kooks headers and X pipe, and get the headers ceramic coated for free, on top of which they had the lowest price I could find! 1328.31 Delivered for Coated 1 3/4 Kooks headers, and Kooks ORX!

Last edited by ls1impulse; 10-25-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

ARH if u can afford, otherwise just wait and buy a used one from sale section, for 97-2000 year. OBX is just another cheap brand, best for the buck tho.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
99vetteran
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 308 Posts

Kooks, cam in mine is 561-569 lift and 224-228 duration on 114 centerline. Makes 414 rwhp. Runs pretty good.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

k. What do you guys think about hooker? Definatley get stainless too?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:13 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

Where are you located at? It would probably be best for you to contact a sponsor in your area.

If you'd rather purchase all the parts yourself I'd call Texas Speed, and let them know your plans so they can send everything you need to match what your looking for, It seems to me you want a street car, with gobs of under the curve TQ

Best intake without a doubt is a Vararam, Hookers are extra cheap garbage; i'd probably buy them if I were modding a pinto. If you want to go the cheapest you can route go OBX so at least you'll get a decent product that should last.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gbuick
That site is great!!! Thank you!!! I already have a Borla exhaust so what brand and style headers and intake setup do you believe would be the best?
^^The 3 big names in LT headers are LG, ARH, and Dynotech.

Might find this thread helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1563136673

Not sure what you mean by intake. Are you referring to the intake manifold or cold air intake (CAI)? What do you have on your car now?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Independent1
^^The 3 big names in LT headers are LG, ARH, and Dynotech.

Might find this thread helpful.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1563136673

Not sure what you mean by intake. Are you referring to the intake manifold or cold air intake (CAI)? What do you have on your car now?
Dynotech > Kooks? Never heard that before.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ls1impulse
Dynotech > Kooks? Never heard that before.
^^First time for everything. The dynotechs are alleged to be a knock-off of the LGs. There was a great thread comparing the LGs, AR, and Dynotech headers a while ago. Was pretty interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best cam for my 98??

Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Ok. Yea I was talking about a cold air intake b/c right now its stock. I live in Rhode Island. What does LG stand for? Sorry I don't know. Anybody know where the cheapest price for AR or LG's headers would be? Is it necessary to tune it after installing them?

Last edited by Gbuick; 10-26-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gbuick
Ok. Yea I was talking about a cold air intake b/c right now its stock. I live in Rhode Island. What does LG stand for? Sorry I don't know. Anybody know where the cheapest price for AR or LG's headers would be? Is it necessary to tune it after installing them?
^^LG stands for Lou Gigliotti. Here is link to website.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/index.php

There are a lot of different CAIs out there. I would do a search and see what you find. Halltech and Varam are a couple of names. Some are relatively easy to install and some are more complicated. There are also varying claims as to the increase in HP they provide. Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware.)

To get the most out of the headers you need to get your car retuned.
The CAI does not require retuning. The pcm can adjust within certain limits.

If you are on a budget, and most of are, there are some good deals on the C5 parts for sale section. Just make sure that whatever you buy works for your car's model year. There are some subtle but important differences between the model years.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Do you think that the CAI's with the split to two small filters is any different than the one big single filter besides the look. any better performance issues?

Quick Reply: What is the best cam for my 98??