C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bat wing pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Bat wing pan

Hi All, doing an LS conversion on my '65. Would like to use a bat wing pan - I belive it will fit with out PS. Can anyone tell me the diff between the one piece and the 2 piece. It seems the 2 piece commands more money, anyone know why?
Thanks, Frank.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sure it cost's more to make, machining the mating surfaces and drilling and taping bolt holes and all the bolts.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Sure it cost's more to make, machining the mating surfaces and drilling and taping bolt holes and all the bolts.
Yes, of course but in the used market it seems guys won't buy the 1 piece for $100 but they'll step up and buy a 2 piece for $300ish. Plus GM went to the effort of building a more costly pan. There must be a difference.......
Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 2 piece you can take just the "wing" part off, allowing you to do easier maintenance / starter, headers, etc.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm just guessing, but I would think it would be difficult to cast the baffles into a single piece pan. The lower half of the two piece pan looks like a maze which would help keep the oil from sloshing front to back and side to side. I'm not saying that couldn't be done with a single piece pan, but I would think it would be cost prohibitive. I guess we would need to know what the inside of the single piece pan looks like.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
With the 2 piece you can take just the "wing" part off, allowing you to do easier maintenance / starter, headers, etc.
Doesn't really help at all! The top of the wing stays behind, still in the way of anything you might want to do.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Its_Go_Time
Doesn't really help at all! The top of the wing stays behind, still in the way of anything you might want to do.
Doh! I had heard the reverse. I have a 1 pc lol
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Well a one piece pan just went for $80. on ebay and 2 piece for $340. Some one must know ....
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bat winged pan was developed to help out with oil starvation when doing high G turns, accelerations, and braking. There are conflicting reports to how successful it is, and it is hard to tell which opinions are correct. Some have had failures with the winged pan and some have had failures with the non-winged pan. Me, I'm going to use my bat wing pan on a new LS3 build because I've seen some reports of oil starvation when using the non-winged pan which is the 'stock' part for the LS3. It may not help or it may help I don't know yet, but may as well use it as some have had success using it. If you plan on going to the road race track or autox track, then you should look at dry sump or at least accusump instead of relying on an oil pan. I would guess that you are not going to track the car, in which case you are fine with the non-bat wing pan.

The bat wing is a two piece pan, the non-bat wing pan is a one piece. Don't think I have hear of a GM pan that has once piece and is a bat wing. I could be wrong.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Heres a one piece...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I'm just guessing, but I would think it would be difficult to cast the baffles into a single piece pan. The lower half of the two piece pan looks like a maze which would help keep the oil from sloshing front to back and side to side. I'm not saying that couldn't be done with a single piece pan, but I would think it would be cost prohibitive. I guess we would need to know what the inside of the single piece pan looks like.

Get notified of new replies

To Bat wing pan

Quick Reply: Bat wing pan