C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut?

Old 03-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I want to lower the car and I have it up on jack stands at the moment. I don't want to cut the rear bushings, just lower it a little. Do I thighten or loosen the bottom nut? Or, do I tighten or loosen the top nut? Thanks! :crazy:
Old 03-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut? (Viprklr)

You loosen the top nut!!

Michael
Old 03-02-2002, 03:43 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut? (Austrian Vette)

Thanks Michael! :yesnod: :D
Old 03-02-2002, 03:49 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut? (Viprklr)

No Problem! Anytime! :cheers:
Old 03-02-2002, 07:12 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Just remember that the vettes (C4 and later) have transverse mono bow springs that are secured and rigid in the middle of the car. When you tighten the end bolts of the bow you increase tension on the bow, it curves down from the middle restraint and "raises" the car. When you loosen the end bolts of the bow you decrease tension on the bow, it flattens out from the middle restraint and "lowers" the car. After you have loosened the nut on the end bolt to lower the car, the mono bow spring will have a slight gap between the bolt and the bow. You may hear some "clanking" after you drive again if you do not add a rubber (preferably polyurethane) bushing to take up the slack.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:16 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut? (jeanlucpicard)

Can you give me a source for the bushing?

I am looking to lower only about an inch.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 03-03-2002, 01:35 AM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Default Re: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut? (see5)

Go to Ecklers, Mid America Designs, West Coast Corvettes, LAPD, etc. They all carry the bushings and kits. Shouldn't cost more than $5 or $10 for your needs. You can also try going to O'Reilys / Hi-Lo or AutoZone with one of your bushings in hand and they can match pretty close. Doesn't have to be OEM or a perfect match, you're just trying to pack in a spacer for noise dampening.

Get notified of new replies

To When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When lowering the rear of the car do you tighten or loosen the nut?