C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers in california????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Long tube headers in california????

As usual, I am confused. I read on the forums that long tube headers are illegal in Ca. I just bought a Z06 in California that the dealer and dyno chart say has long tube headers on it. It had just passed California emissions with the headers installed. When I asked at the dealership aboput this I was told certain brands of long tube headers are legal in Ca. I do not know what brand of headers are on the car but I hope to find out from the first owner, who had the headers installed.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Unless you have a buddy in the system.... illegal (none have a CARB #) and will fail.

Sounds like a "friend" set-up
Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 AM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True no Long tube to my knowledge are CARB approved! - Having said that there a re a lot of people in Calif running long tubes. and other stuff such as intake manifolds, cams etc.

If you have the long tubes on your car, here is how you get thru smog.

1. Make sure your car and engine compartment are show quality clean when you take it in.

2. Make sure the air pump and all the AIR hoses are connected and operative.

3. Make sure you are not throwing any codes or strange stuff.

4. Take it in and have them do a prelim. test. to ensure it passes sniffer and codes.

5. They don't like to look under a lowered car and it is harder for them to tell if you have long tubes, especially if you have a good set and they are tucked up well.

6. Watch out for the skimmer shops, These are the guys who will be looking for reasons to fail you to sell you stuff like saying it failed and needs plugs or other stupid crap. They will look for reasons to fail you.
You just appear to be meat on their table.

7. On the cams ~~ If you have a really wild cam or even one that gives a little lope at idle they will fail you. It will show up on the idle test with the sniffer.

8. Have the car well warmed up and roll in quietly, don't go rapping the pipes and making a lot of noise.

9. Make sure the car is tuned and running well!

10. The all important one is Keep your mouth shut! Let them find things and tell you!

If your car passes all the machine tests with flying colors, Sniffer etc. Looks good and well kept you will find that most of the good honest shops will let you through.

I know alot of guys running long tubes in Ca. remember we have the state inspection only stations also. They can be easier to get through than a shop that tries to make follow on money by failing you.

If they question you just say, Oh really? I don't know much about that stuff and that is the way I bought the car and it passed testing in the past!

Just a few tips!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Good points, but it's like playing Russian Roulette. If you fail, it'll cost you a bunch to swap out the LTs. Some C5s (like mine) have pup-cats. Installing LTs will eliminate them and that'd be another expense if you have to bring the car back to stock.
This applies to illegal intake filter setups as well. If you have something other than OEM, a K&N, or a Callaway, make sure that it is easily swappable. I swap my Halltech unit out before going in for the test. Catch cans are another no-no. Remove it before the test, as it is considered a modification to the emissions system.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russian Roulette for sure, but once you find a shop that respects you and your car, you keep going back to them. Just keep the car cleaned and tuned and turning in really low emission numbers with no problems.

Another tip is to ask around look for others who have the same issues. Find out who they use. Remember you will be required to use a test only facility at some point.

I think one of the keys is too keep the engine bay looking as stock as possiable.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Long Tubes and a really big cam, but I have GA plates on my car. I would have to say the dealer has a friend or the car has doesnt have LT's on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers in california????

Quick Reply: Long tube headers in california????