C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocking seat fixed - plastic turnbuckle height adjuster was broken also

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rocking seat fixed - plastic turnbuckle height adjuster was broken also

Decided I couldn't stand the rocking seat syndrome in my drivers seat any more. Car's a 99 vert with 63k miles and has been rocking for the last 20k miles or so. I bought the repair kit from Zip http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...8ac28d1aaf%7D& so I didn't have to look for the correct metal washers. Process was really easy and took about 2 hours start to finish. I followed the directions here http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html which are excellent. The hardest part was getting the two electrical connectors disconnected. The rubber isolators I removed were in really bad shape.

When I got the seat out I also found the the rear plastic turnbuckle that controls the up and down motion of the rear of the seat had broken. After a quick search I found that I'm not alone in this problem...go figure. Why they would make the turnbuckle part out of plastic is beyond me...other than GM builds to a price. Luckily the plastic turnbucke had a clean break and the two shims and clevis pin were still under the seat. Until I can get a new seat track to repair the turnbuckle I jury rigged it with super glue, a couple of zip ties and duct tape.

Put it all back together and the rocking is completely gone and the rear height adjuster works perfectly. Repairing this .02 part has completely transformed the driving experience for the car.

I'm definately turning off the easy out function on the seat to help prevent future problems.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I did the $.078 fix with the nylon washers the instructions you posted are the best though so nice to have a normal seat huh?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This was one of the very first things I did to my car. Easy to do and makes a big difference.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

great to hear your story....this is one job that I keep putting off year after year
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I repaired my rocking seats two years ago, but they are starting to rock again. Time to pull them out for a refreshing!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
2_99_c5s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been putting it off for a year and a half now...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 PM
bahunter
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

My '98 convertible has the same issue - my mileage is under 40k.
Is there a more permanent "fix"? Perhaps metal pieces?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by clif
I repaired my rocking seats two years ago, but they are starting to rock again. Time to pull them out for a refreshing!
Yeah, me too...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
01texasC5
Cruising

Mine to. Even my gf is tellin me fix them. Plus passenger side carpet getting wet at the front right mounting bolt. Don't know where its coming from.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Ricbear
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bahunter
My '98 convertible has the same issue - my mileage is under 40k.
Is there a more permanent "fix"? Perhaps metal pieces?
Yes there is. Metal washer thickness of the two nylon washers and a dermal to shape them. Works really well.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just as soon replace the nylon washers every two or three years.

No way would I take the slack out with a metal washer. The original plastic and replacement nylon are like a shear bolt on a snow-blower. They're made to fail which prevents damage to the more expensive parts. If you go with metal you may damage the threaded rod; and you won't be fixing that for $3.00 in parts.

Besides; my getting into the seats to fix the bushings forced me to change out the bladders for the bolsters and lumbar support.And the leather covers!

Dan
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
bahunter
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Since I am new to the Vette scene, the presence of a nylon washer in such a place does not make much sense. But in reading some of the answers, a metal washer/spacer may not be the fix-all as desired. The nylon material provides an inherent "lubricity". A metal component may gall and indeed cause more damage than its worth (service life). Maybe a washer from Delrin (think harder nylon) would be the answer. Sure, we all have a stick of delrin material gathering dust in the shop.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 914eener
Decided I couldn't stand the rocking seat syndrome in my drivers seat any more. Car's a 99 vert with 63k miles and has been rocking for the last 20k miles or so. I bought the repair kit from Zip http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...8ac28d1aaf%7D& so I didn't have to look for the correct metal washers. Process was really easy and took about 2 hours start to finish. I followed the directions here http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html which are excellent. The hardest part was getting the two electrical connectors disconnected. The rubber isolators I removed were in really bad shape.

When I got the seat out I also found the the rear plastic turnbuckle that controls the up and down motion of the rear of the seat had broken. After a quick search I found that I'm not alone in this problem...go figure. Why they would make the turnbuckle part out of plastic is beyond me...other than GM builds to a price. Luckily the plastic turnbucke had a clean break and the two shims and clevis pin were still under the seat. Until I can get a new seat track to repair the turnbuckle I jury rigged it with super glue, a couple of zip ties and duct tape.

Put it all back together and the rocking is completely gone and the rear height adjuster works perfectly. Repairing this .02 part has completely transformed the driving experience for the car.

I'm definately turning off the easy out function on the seat to help prevent future problems.
What color is your turnbuckle that broke, white or black? I have same issue with mine, a white one. Seems the black version looks stronger, maybe newer version. The pin that connects it is different to on the black.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by punz
What color is your turnbuckle that broke, white or black? I have same issue with mine, a white one. Seems the black version looks stronger, maybe newer version. The pin that connects it is different to on the black.
I'm looking for that turnbuckle part - any idea on a part number?
Drivers side one was mangled - no amount of crazy glue will fix it for me...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
transce
Advanced

Ugh. This is something I need to do pretty badly. The directions scared me off a little. :\
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...mber-help.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...k-leather.html

Last edited by punz; 03-21-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added 2nd link
Old 05-09-2014, 01:23 AM
VEGAS421A
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turnbuckle and transmission drivers side front available on eBay.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocking seat fixed - plastic turnbuckle height adjuster was broken also

Quick Reply: Rocking seat fixed - plastic turnbuckle height adjuster was broken also