C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shortie headers power gain or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
poorfellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shortie headers power gain or not

i live in cal. longtube headers will not smog anyone running shortie headers ? if so did you gain any horsepower and what brand are you using. thanks
Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Not !

Some have actually lost power
Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Not worth the expense and time to change
Old 02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Alex99
Instructor

I use the LS7 exhaust manifolds, cats and H-Pipe in my C5 and they definetely added some power. Can't talk about shortie headers but those manifolds are atleast as good or better.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by poorfellow
i live in cal. longtube headers will not smog anyone running shortie headers ? if so did you gain any horsepower and what brand are you using. thanks
Shortie headers are certainly not going to give you the performance gains of long tubes. That is a fact. How big the difference is, has been debated.

I added shorties for other reasons.
1) I like the look of headers in the engine compartment
2) I wanted to offset some of the added weight of my supercharger
3) I wanted to stay CARB compliant.

With those goals in mind, I bought the B&B shorties, had them jet-hot coated and installed them. They fit perfect, look great, and achieved my goals. I did not do any preheader/postheader dyno runs.

They WERE expensive, but I am satisfied.

FWIW.....
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Tsab
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Question:

If you retain your O2 sensors and air pump why is CA against long tubes? Your aren't adding more emmisions just have better flowing exhaust. Is it because they don't have a CARB number?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poorfellow
You could probably squeeze out 6 to 9 hp with a set of B&Bs. Of course the bang-for-your-buck value with this mod sucks. I've heard, "not worth the time and expense" but this is a relative statement. Each person decides for himself what his time is worth and how much money he can afford to waste on Corvette stuff. My father thinks everything I do to my car is a waste of money.

I'm currently doing a heads/cam install and I'm going to bolt on a set of B&B shorties to my AFR 205s (a lot of people think AFRs are a waste of money too). As with 'hattitude', my shorties will be Jet-Hot coated as well. I like the way they look and they're a ton lighter than stockers. And finally, I want my exhaust to be fairly quiet and be emissions legal.

see vetteweb
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Tsab
Question:

If you retain your O2 sensors and air pump why is CA against long tubes? Your aren't adding more emmisions just have better flowing exhaust. Is it because they don't have a CARB number?
Short answer is: Because CA says so.

No rhyme or reason is required in La La Land.

If I remember correctly at one time a proposal was made to stop the sale of black cars because it takes more energy to cool them.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsab
Question:

Any piece of equipment from the air filter to the cats needs to have a CARB EO# to pass smog.

The manufacturer needs to apply, pay $$$$, and then the tests have to show the piece of equip does not negatively affect emissions.

The reason that NO long tubes can get a CARB EO# is because there is a rule that the OEM cats cannot be moved, replaced (unless defective), or modified. Since long tubes will move the cats farther to the rear, they will automatically be disqualified.

I didn't say it would make sense, but that's the reason. Personally, I would think if air quality is the goal, any car passing the sniffer test should be good to go...... but unfortunately, I don't make the laws.

Good Luck....
Old 02-15-2010, 02:03 AM
paullywalnuts
Pro

No shortie's on Vette's IMO.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga

Oh thats why I love being in SD and having GA plates........ You can get around having LT's you just have to find the right shop...Just a thought
Old 02-15-2010, 02:47 AM
HD_2_C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
Oh thats why I love being in SD and having GA plates........ You can get around having LT's you just have to find the right shop...Just a thought

AMEN!!! Being an AZ resident outside of home state, I'm exempt from emissions. Just turn in a letter signed by the commander and no emissions required. Oh...and they waive all vehicle licensing tax. Cost $2.17 per year to register. :-)

As for the OP, good luck whichever way you decide to go.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:17 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PewtVette
You could probably squeeze out 6 to 9 hp with a set of B&Bs. Of course the bang-for-your-buck value with this mod sucks. I've heard, "not worth the time and expense" but this is a relative statement. Each person decides for himself what his time is worth and how much money he can afford to waste on Corvette stuff. My father thinks everything I do to my car is a waste of money.

I'm currently doing a heads/cam install and I'm going to bolt on a set of B&B shorties to my AFR 205s (a lot of people think AFRs are a waste of money too). As with 'hattitude', my shorties will be Jet-Hot coated as well. I like the way they look and they're a ton lighter than stockers. And finally, I want my exhaust to be fairly quiet and be emissions legal.

see vetteweb

I went with the B&B Shorty just because of the required CA smog test every 2 years. Yes, it doesn’t give you added horses as the long tubes, but I don’t stress worrying where to go or if I am going to pass the visual test or not. It's harder to find those "looks the other way" smog tester, because of the heavy penalty that comes with getting caught. Even if you find that special tester, I would imagine their fee isn’t going to be cheap and you gotta hope their still in business 2 years later for your next smog certificate.

Shorty Headers will boost about 5-10 hp (too little to really notice), compared to the Long Tubes Headers that brings in about 10% HP increase. Personally, I like the header look over a stock manifold, even if it is just a Shorty.

Last edited by 1FUNVTT; 02-15-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 PM
RogerZ06
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

JBA is one of the best for shorties.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you could find them for a very good price, that would push the deal over the top. With the shorty headers, a ported stock throttle body (the emissions station will never know) and a good professional tune, a nice set of aftermarket cat back exhaust and some custome work on your stock air box, I bet you would see a very nice improvement.

Way back when the C5 first appeared,, I wanted shorty headers sooooooo bad for my 98. They were $1200. and you gained a WHOPING 12 hp. So,,,that nevered happened!

If you can get a set for a great price,,,go for it.

I always thought that they looked way cool!

BC
Old 02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I put a set of JBA shorties on my 02 Z06. I like the way headers look but I didn't want to get into a big project and the shorties were easy to install. I did them myself one weekend. I do think I got a little off idle response, how much HP, I don't know and really don't care. I changed the plugs and wires at the same time and overall I am happy with what I did. I bought mine off Ebay and got them cheap, so for few $$. If I would have paid list price I might not have got them. Overall I'm happy.

Get notified of new replies

To shortie headers power gain or not

Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 PM
PewtVette
Burning Brakes

Follow up- I got these back from JET-HOT a few days ago. Turnaround was 8 days- door to door. Thanks to Jeff at Jet-Hot for the great service.

After (below)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

An increas in HP is an increase.. period....
Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I'd use 'em for the weight savings alone.

Quick Reply: shortie headers power gain or not