C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of a HORN RELAY fuse for a 1998. (horn went off this morning)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:32 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of a HORN RELAY fuse for a 1998. (horn went off this morning)

This morning at 5am, the horn went off and it was a constant horn, not beeping.

The only way to stop it was to remove the horn fuse, which I did.
Now, I'm thinking it's maybe because of the horn relay fuse that caused it because the fuse box is completely dry.

Where can I buy the horn RELAY fuse? Can I get it in stores?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by nv_lao93
This morning at 5am, the horn went off and it was a constant horn, not beeping.

The only way to stop it was to remove the horn fuse, which I did.
Now, I'm thinking it's maybe because of the horn relay fuse that caused it because the fuse box is completely dry.

Where can I buy the horn RELAY fuse? Can I get it in stores?
So you are looking for a fuse....or a relay?

If you do a search, you'll find this is a common problem...and in most cases...is the membrane within the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by lucky131969
So you are looking for a fuse....or a relay?

If you do a search, you'll find this is a common problem...and in most cases...is the membrane within the steering wheel.

Oh yeah, I forgot they were 2 seperate things xD.
I'm looking for the RELAY. (it's in the fuse box, so I guess that's why I called it a fuse xD)

And what is the "membrane in the steering wheel"?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm looking for the RELAY. (it's in the fuse box, so I guess that's why I called it a fuse xD)
Ok. The first thing I would do is check to see if there is a ground at all times to the relay coil. If so, the most likely cause is the membrane.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...brane-fix.html

Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree it is most likely the horn membrane in the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Alright, thanks for the help guys.

I think once spring comes, i'm just gonna bring this car up to the dealer.
Too scared about that airbag. And plus there's some other minor problems with the car.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Gona be expensive if you take it to the dealer unless you have an extended warranty......$$$$$$. Dealer is going to replace the airbag to replace a part you can buy aftermarket for about $60..........
Oh really? about how much?
We were just planning on taking it to a GM dealer b/c the dealer we bought it from was in FL and we bought it "AS-IS".
If it is pricey, I'll probably just end up doing it (but scared of the airbag!)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I have not seen the price of the air bag new but I have seen used going for $350 on the big auction site. I'm betting that the dealer will get more than $700 parts and labor and painting the replacement cover to match your interior if it is not black.

As far as the air bag going off, you need to disconnect the battery and then wait at least 10 minutes for the charge stored to disapate (a capacitor I think holds the charge in case the battery gets cut out somehow in an accident.) Once the battery is out of the picture follow the instructions in the link above but go to the 2nd or 3rd page for a reference to a replacement membrane that is available rather than trying to repair yours. I have seen them on Ecklers and I think that Mid America may also sell the membrane.

Wow, that's a lot! I guess I'll do it myself. I found the horn membrane on eBay for $60. So are you sure about the airbag being disabled after unplugging the battery after about 10 mins? If so, it'll make it a lot easier knowing the airbag won't malfunction in my face.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

8vette7 is correct,if you disconnect the neg battery cable for 10 minutes you wont have to worry about the air bag deploying.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And what is the "membrane in the steering wheel"?
There are several threads that are related to this subject, horn membrane repair, on the forum but it most likely your problem. The horn operates by the pressure applied to the air bag unit that is in the middle of the steering wheel. This membrane is a part of the air bag unit. Over time the membrane in the air bag fails and will short and the horn goes off by itself and to stop you need to pull the fuse. Weather conditions can create a horn membrane response that cause the short to react and you get the horn operates and does not stop. It can also create no horn response when you attempt to use the horn. Check the different threads there is a lot of FYI for you to use.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default PULL the SIR (yellow wires) after disconnecting battery

I had the opposite problem. NO HORN. Before pulling the wheel disconnect battery. Remove close out panels under steering wheel. Then PULL OUT the 2 yellow wires called SIR which are held together with a special plastic connector. Then a couple of torx screws gets the wheel off. Saw someone selling homebrew membranes and $60 sounds about right. There's a thread about 5 months ago on here showing you how to fix your own membrane. Dont pay a steelership $600 or $800 for a new airbag you don't need. I traced out the wiring and added a smal SPST switch to ground out the relay and drilled a small hole in the plastic dash. Switch is black and almost invisible. also added an AOOHA horn but thats another story.
Have fun.
BIGHANK
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by bighank
I had the opposite problem. NO HORN. Before pulling the wheel disconnect battery. Remove close out panels under steering wheel. Then PULL OUT the 2 yellow wires called SIR which are held together with a special plastic connector. Then a couple of torx screws gets the wheel off. Saw someone selling homebrew membranes and $60 sounds about right. There's a thread about 5 months ago on here showing you how to fix your own membrane. Dont pay a steelership $600 or $800 for a new airbag you don't need. I traced out the wiring and added a smal SPST switch to ground out the relay and drilled a small hole in the plastic dash. Switch is black and almost invisible. also added an AOOHA horn but thats another story.
Have fun.
BIGHANK

You could do this or pull the fuses in the footwell that control the SDM fuse #16 I think.

Get notified of new replies

To In need of a HORN RELAY fuse for a 1998. (horn went off this morning)

Quick Reply: In need of a HORN RELAY fuse for a 1998. (horn went off this morning)