C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with HID install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
MJD
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issues with HID install

I installed the right side headlight and fog and then reconnected the battery. Both worked without issue. I then connected the left side in the same manner and it all went downhill. The fogs will not fire and the right side headlight works but the left side flashes once and goes dead. Anyone have any ideas to what the issue is? The fog fuse is fine. Does the car need to be running to throw enough juice?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes,the car should be running,the hid's pull quite a bit of juice when they first come on,and then after about they've been lit for 5-7 seconds,the amp draw drops.
Also replace the two 15A headlight fuses with 20's,and double check the grounds-if they're crusty,they'll cause odd problems
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Carcass
Yes,the car should be running,the hid's pull quite a bit of juice when they first come on,and then after about they've been lit for 5-7 seconds,the amp draw drops.
Also replace the two 15A headlight fuses with 20's,and double check the grounds-if they're crusty,they'll cause odd problems
Exactly. Sometimes only one headlight will fire and I just back the switch a notch and turn it forward again. It's all in the amp draw.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 PM
MJD
Safety Car

Thanks guys, I'll give the 20 amp fuses a shot. I got the fogs to work. It never dawned on me that when I disconnect the battery it would reset the switch. Once I hit the button they came on. My headlight HIDs are actually going in a set of depo's. If the fuse works I'll be able to get the drivers side installed and be done with it.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM
MJD
Safety Car

Found the issue. The fuse didn't fix it so I tried swapping the ballast to see if it was a ballast or bulb issue. When disconnecting the bulb giving me the trouble the pin actually came out of the plastic housing. After reseating it everything worked. Thanks for the input fellas.

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with HID install

Quick Reply: Issues with HID install