C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing AC Fill Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Replacing AC Fill Valve

Not sure that is the proper term, but I recently noticed my AC was not cooling for the first time in 14 years (at least not so much on the driver
s side), so I took the car to a shop and they said the refrigerant was low (20-lbs). They added a can of refrigerant and everything was back to normal, but they said the inlet valve (where they connected the AC recharge line) was leaking when they removed their equipment. It made it a couple weeks and now I am back to cool air vs cold.

What is involved in changing out the valve? Does that whole metal insulated line have to be replaced?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Boss75
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's just the valve all you have to do is have the A/C evacuated and then using a valve stem removal tool just unscrew the valve and replace it. They have a small rubber seal on them that will wear out over time. You can pick both items up at a parts store. I believe the tool is a slightly different size than a valve stem removal for a tire though. Then just recharge your A/C
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Boss75
If it's just the valve all you have to do is have the A/C evacuated and then using a valve stem removal tool just unscrew the valve and replace it. They have a small rubber seal on them that will wear out over time. You can pick both items up at a parts store. I believe the tool is a slightly different size than a valve stem removal for a tire though. Then just recharge your A/C
Thanks... does not sound too bad then. Hopefully that is the only leak. Must be a really slow leak as it was fine for a couple weeks (and still not really warm).
Old 06-17-2014, 01:31 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When it's charged, put some water on the top of the valve and see if it bubbles indicating a leak.

The various O-rings go out on these things. Shoot a can of dye in there, recharge (so the compressor engages) and run the system. Use a UV light and the glasses and look around all the connection points.

If you have access to a sniffer run the AC and see if you can use that to determine the leak. (That's the best way, but you have to know someone with a shop that has it).

If you open the lines, minimum replace the applicable o-rings, dryer, and orifice tube. Pay attention to the oil in the dryer, because you will need to replace the same amount of oil in the new dryer.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing AC Fill Valve

Quick Reply: Replacing AC Fill Valve