C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight/fog stumper! Check out these odd symptoms (NOT GEAR RELATED!) Bill Curlee??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Headlight/fog stumper! Check out these odd symptoms (NOT GEAR RELATED!) Bill Curlee??

PROBLEM FIXED!

Sure enough, it was a single 10(!) amp fuse (#6) in the passenger footwell that killed both buckets, the fogs, taillights, running lights and dash lights!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I try to turn on my fogs like I normally do on the way to work when its a little past dawn. I see that the fog light switch does not light up as normal. I turn the stalk to position 2 and the headlights come up and turn on.

I attempt to turn off the headlamps, but they stay in the up position. Also, still no fogs. I end up having to manually lower both lights. Once I manually lowered them, they will not go up with the switch.

Both low headlights and fogs are HID's.

So here's all the tests/symptoms:

- Both headlights turn on but stay in the down position.
- Fogs do not light up in either stalk postion 1 or 2. The fog button's LED does not light up when pressed.
- I can flash the high beams via stalk - they still work.
- If I lock the car, both fogs flash indicating the lock occuring.

I checked any relevent fuses in both the passenger footwell and engine. All were fine.

I really did try a search on this, but didn't see all these symptoms listed in any threads.

- Is it the headlight switch (but the lights turn on)?
- Is it the headlight controller (again, headlights come on)?
- Is there an infamous ground that would affect just these two things (both headlight motors and fogs/fog switch)?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by UncleFodder; 04-16-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleFodder
Yesterday, I try to turn on my fogs like I normally do on the way to work when its a little past dawn. I see that the fog light switch does not light up as normal. I turn the stalk to position 2 and the headlights come up and turn on.

I attempt to turn off the headlamps, but they stay in the up position. Also, still no fogs. I end up having to manually lower both lights. Once I manually lowered them, they will not go up with the switch.

Both low headlights and fogs are HID's.

So here's all the tests/symptoms:

- Both headlights turn on but stay in the down position.
- Fogs do not light up in either stalk postion 1 or 2. The fog button's LED does not light up when pressed.
- I can flash the high beams via stalk - they still work.
- If I lock the car, both fogs flash indicating the lock occuring.

I checked any relevent fuses in both the passenger footwell and engine. All were fine.

I really did try a search on this, but didn't see all these symptoms listed in any threads.

- Is it the headlight switch (but the lights turn on)?
- Is it the headlight controller (again, headlights come on)?
- Is there an infamous ground that would affect just these two things (both headlight motors and fogs/fog switch)?

Thanks for any advice.
Do the headlights work normally with the twight sentinel?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Do the headlights work normally with the twight sentinel?
The lights turn on but do not raise. Now that it is dark, I see I also lost my tail lights (but brake lights are ok) and dash lights.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Any other ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like you have a defective multifunction switch. They commonly fail and I have seen more and more fail lately, as our cars age.

When I get home I will tale a look at the headlight/fog light schematics and make sure all the symptoms are coverd.

BC
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Any other ideas?
I'm not convinced there is only one problem. Since the twilight sentinel turns on the headlights, that tells me the sensor is working, and the BCM is getting the input(also that micro relay #44 is working).

The reason I wanted you to try the twilight sentinel, is that it bypasses the multifunction switch to turn on the headlights, raise the doors, and turn on the park lamps, dash, etc.

Do you have a meter, and can you read schematics?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
I'm not convinced there is only one problem. Since the twilight sentinel turns on the headlights, that tells me the sensor is working, and the BCM is getting the input(also that micro relay #44 is working).

The reason I wanted you to try the twilight sentinel, is that it bypasses the multifunction switch to turn on the headlights, raise the doors, and turn on the park lamps, dash, etc.

Do you have a meter, and can you read schematics?
Meter - yes. Schematics, I can sure try...
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Meter - yes. Schematics, I can sure try...
Since Bill is at work, give me a call. PM sent.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

PROBLEM FIXED!

Sure enough, it was a single 10(!) amp fuse in the passenger footwell that killed both buckets, the fogs, taillights, running lights and dash lights!

Many, many thanks to Mike (Lucky) who walked me thru some diagnosing to this conclusion. Also, thank you Bill for stepping up to help as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

PROBLEM FIXED!

Sure enough, it was a single 10(!) amp fuse in the passenger footwell that killed both buckets, the fogs, taillights, running lights and dash lights!

Many, many thanks to Mike (Lucky) who walked me thru some diagnosing to this conclusion. Also, thank you Bill for stepping up to help as well.

No problem. Minifuse #6 was the culprit, it provides a headlight off input to the control module..so if it's not there....the control module gets confused...haha....plus it provides 12 volts for the park/tail lamps.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

DAMN FUSES!

Thanks Mike for all the cool schematic help!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight/fog stumper! Check out these odd symptoms (NOT GEAR RELATED!) Bill Curlee??

Quick Reply: Headlight/fog stumper! Check out these odd symptoms (NOT GEAR RELATED!) Bill Curlee??