C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Header/CAI and other misc items install

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds great!! Gotta love a good cam, I just had one installed in my 2000 FRC.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:23 AM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mstrnad
Here you go Dan....

I got this vid working. Very nice mike. Sounds awesome. Cant wait for mine.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Zo6TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what side is the connector on?

is it on passangers side near glove box?? i thought there was an easier ignition and power source underneath steering column???

Here are my pics of the AEM UEGO install. The UEGO is up and running, but I still have some things to complete, so this install is still progessing and a couple of things still needs to be complete before its complete.

UPDATE: I finally have a set of headers coming in, probably later this week, so I'll get the bung installed on the drive side header and then complete the UEGO install.

Step1)So the AEM UEGO needs a 10-18V power source and a ground for this install, and it has a couple more wires for other use. Like the blue wire can be used for logging to a hyperterminal or any AFR software. So, I had to think about what I'm going to use as my power and ground source, so I reverted to the forums and got my question answered by lucky131969(Thanks lucky). Below is the schematic of were its going:

I'll utilize the YEL and BLK wire for power and ground, I'm also going to change out the 20A fuse to a 10A to meet AEM UEGO requirements.

Step2) Pic of where the C206 connector is at: (Now you don't have to take out the fuse box like I did, I was trying to look for it(trace it), but should've looked elsewhere prior to taking it out)

Step3)For the next step, I essentially took the whole interior apart, and I followed the "How to install a HUD" guide to complete this step. This is the only way I knew, to route the wires from the UEGO unit to connector C206. This is what the car looked like after I took the interior apartThe arrows show the path I'll be taking the cables to the passenger side. I even zip tied to what looked like air tubes)

Step4) In order for the cables to reach, you'll have to stop at a local hardware store and buy 5 foot long wires, for the stock wires couldn't reach to connector C206. I also used shrink tubes to make thing look a little cleaner(wrap it with electrical tape and your ready to route).

Step5) Once you have the cables routed, unplug connector C206, and you'll see three wires(yellow, black, and orange) all taped together. I wired red(UEGO) to the YLW, and black(UEGO) to the BLK wire and shrink tubed them. I also put electrical tape around the orange wire and then taped it to the other two wires(I also plugged it in and turn the key to either ACC/ON to test to see if it worked):

Step6)Now its time for the bung connector. You'll have to drill a 1" hole in your firewall, and I've decided to drill right below the hood release. NOTE: To drill, I just unscrewed the driver wheel well to gain access for drilling. Also, for now, I left the bung connector sit on top of my motor until I get my exhaust so I can finish the routing. Once your down there you can imagine how to route it and the wires can be zipped tie to existing wires so it doesn't hit anything else.

Driver Wheel Well:

Driver interior under the hood release cables:

Step7)Its time to drill the pod into the pillar. For this I used painters tape to hold the pod onto the pillar and then drilled by following manufactures specs for the plugs, and drilled a 1" hole for the wires.

Step8) You can now start buttoning everything back up. Once you have your dash in, you can install the drivers A-Pillar and plug in the UEGO and your ready to go. I'll be taking more pictures once I finishing the rest of the install, like the exhaust and the blue data cable.

Partially Finished pics of the install:

Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM
mstrnad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zo6TT
is it on passangers side near glove box?? i thought there was an easier ignition and power source underneath steering column???
Yeah I was originally going to use that, but the one underneath the glove box isn't being used and I can dedicate that specifically to the UEGO.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Zo6TT
Instructor

Default 02 sensor install

i guess i will be putting my 02sensor and bung just after the exhaust tail pipe on drivers side since its the most lean i hear ...remember i have a rear mount twin turbo kit this should give the most accurate reading possible..does anyone have pics of under the steering wheel column of the power and ignition sources? do i really have to remove the whole dash to install a boost gauge and AF ratio Gauge..??that seems very silly
Old 07-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6TT
do i really have to remove the whole dash to install a boost gauge and AF ratio Gauge..??that seems very silly
Absolutely not. No need to remove thedash. I ran my shift light and O2 gauge wires under the dash and into the pillar pod and have done the same with tweeters. Very easy to do this going under the dash and behind the center stack.

Check out my WB installation.
http://redshift.homestead.com/WBO2.html

A set of tweeters in the wife's coupe.

To the OP - nice job on the install and this thread. Car sounds awesome with great numbers.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 AM
Chaplain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for posting the heat shield pics. My foot has been roasting for the last two days. I hope I can add some DEI material without removing my headers and x-pipe.

This probably was the easiest of everything I've done so far. I cannot wait until the day were I can store pens in my center console without them bursting.

So what I've done first was clean the original heat shield for the C5. So I just used warm water and 0000 steal pads.

Then I started making a template and outlining where I'm going to cut. I just used the heat shield to trace the lines. To cover the sides of the tunnel, I just allocated 4" of space. To "flap down" the DEI heat shield to bolt the C5 heat shield back to the car, I probably left maybe 1 1/2" of space.

Now there is two areas were you DO NOT want to remove the plastic. If you do, prepare for some swearing and kicking yourself in the a$$ for doing so, this stuff is sticky! The area were you do not want to take the plastic off is where the bolts originally go to hold up the heat shield and the outside(sides) of the heat shield. The only area is the center of the DEI heat shield were the C5 heat shield will go. Just make sure you apply the DEI stuff on the correct side of the C5 heat shield. I just looked at the C5 heat shield for scuff marks made by the bolts to figure out which side it goes on, or its the lip side up.

Installed on the car:
Old 04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
dogsled
1st Gear

Z06TT - Thanks for the pictures. I have been using the IGN and ground wires from the rearview mirror for my V1. I don't like hanging cables. I also powered a Garmin from the some wires, hiding the Garmin 5V power supply inside the mirror, but when I tried to add a dashcam it smoked the fuse so I had to get power somewhere else. I knew where C206 was supposed to be, but I could not find it until I saw your pictures.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 PM
2THOSE
Advanced

Man we have damn near all the exact same mods.
XS LTs no cats
B&B Bullets
Both our C5s are TR too. Great minds think alike brother. As soon as I get back on land I'm getting my Whiplash cam and a clutch installed. Nice vid, lets me know mine is going to sound badazz also.

2THOSE
Old 01-01-2017, 11:55 AM
C4!
Navigator

Glad I found this thread. I'm the current owner of the car in this build. And other than a bad throwout bearing, and needing some fine tuning the car is a blast. If you still on the forums Mike, you did a great job.

Eric. From Algonquin IL

Quick Reply: Cam/Header/CAI and other misc items install