C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers seat and telescopic sterring wheel not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 AM
TDS00PET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers seat and telescopic sterring wheel not working

I let my battery go down (died) (optima red) 3 to 4 weeks without starting (I know, dumb). Put on a trickle charge, which after a while said battery was bad. Battery only 3 years old. Charged enough to start, drove it for about 45 minutes or more, only went up 14.1. Not sure if I need a new battery or not but believe I do. Now here's the problem. Prior to the dead battery my drivers seat (electric) and telescopic sterring wheel worked without problems. Now they will not move. The passenger seat still works fine. Went into the DIC turned off/on the seat entry no change. Even tried the FOB for reset. No noise from either, seat or wheel, when press the buttons to move them. Has anyone had this problem, if so what did you find that caused it and how was it fixed. Everything else in the car works. Looked at the fuses, they look ok.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Try taking off the negative cable then re-attach it.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
TDS00PET
Instructor

Thanks, tried and everything works again.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TDS00PET
Thanks, tried and everything works again.
You buy the
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Try taking off the negative cable then re-attach it.
Why did this fix the problem?
Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 PM
bluvette79
Pro

it reset the computer:suggested that you ordinarily wait 15 min. before reconnecting but whatever works! i bet you need a battery too. read the voltage across the battery posts with engine off. the voltage read in the car is the charging voltage unless you read it with motor off and ignition on.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:24 PM
Jeffmete
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Found this thread when my driver seat and column randomly quit. Removed the negative battery and sure enough everything works again!
Old 06-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Jeffmete
Instructor

So for me this is evidently a re-occurring problem. Exactly why does re-setting the computer cure my driver power seat not working? Last year and now this summer also. Since I’m the only one to drive it I don’t really know how long it took to fail again. Will seat failure initiate codes?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,215 Likes on 775 Posts

The root of all electrical problems in the C5 point to one cause, dumb a** pot head cocaine sniffing electrical designers. Hopefully they have been fired, retired, or just died and not part of the C8 design.

Last edited by rrwirsi; 06-30-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Jeffmete
Instructor

Well RR, hard two disagree with your rant as I fight some of these issues. But it really doesn’t explain what is really going on!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:05 PM
av8or
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have half the problem...... seat works fine, but the telescopic wheel is dead. Tried everything... just now tried disconnecting the negative battery post... didn't think it would help, and it didn't. I've disconnected and re-connected the two connectors under the drivers seat. I've removed and examined the SCM for cold solders, I've done the "eight clicks in/out, no joy. Maybe the motor is bad.

This is really weird... when using the switch on the right side of the column (the switch to move the steering wheel in and out) if I move it towards me (steering wheel out) I can hear a very faint click-click. If I push it the other way (in) I hear nothing for the first six pushes, then on seven and subsequent pushes I hear the same click-click. I've done this a dozen times... exactly the same faint noise every time.

I'm out of ideas.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers seat and telescopic sterring wheel not working

Quick Reply: Drivers seat and telescopic sterring wheel not working