C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80 or 6L90 in C5 Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
TrueBlueGTO
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80 or 6L90 in C5 Vettes?

Hey guys,

As I plan to wrap up the first 6L80e conversion on a GMT360 Trailblazer in the next 2 week, I figured...hmmm...maybe the C5 guys would be interested in a bolt in kit that allows them to keep their cruise control also. I'm talking a total bolt in kit and you can keep your cruise control complete with new harness/ECM.

So basically, this is a bit of market research as I investigate which is the next vehicle and/or forum we become a sponsor of....provided we are fully successful with our project.

I'm not sure what all comes and doesn't come with the present kits (if any) on the market, but, I believe we have cracked the code on how to get make late model GM vehicle run with the 6L80E/6L90E computer system and include the following features:

Utility:
-Use of factory cruise control
-Variable Valve Timing
-Tap up/down shifting
-ECM managed boost control.

Conversion Hardware:
-24X LS-motor retro fit kit WITHOUT having to pull the motor/crank (SBC/BBC systems to follow)
-Fully inclusive wiring harness
-Adapters for torque tubes
-New TB/Accelerator Pedal/Sensors
-Differential input (?)

Again...just looking for a general idea of if interest and a market exists for this.

Last edited by TrueBlueGTO; 05-16-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

That sounds good, I would like to have 6 gears.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure there would be lots of interest. How much interest depends upon the , just like anything else.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM
TrueBlueGTO
Cruising

Originally Posted by Rhode Warrior
I'm sure there would be lots of interest. How much interest depends upon the , just like anything else.
Agreed

Obviously, not having tackled the C5 Vette in "prototype" depth yet, I cannot give a reliable estimate.

However, using the 4Wd/AWD Trailblazer as a reference (about $6500 including labor), I can only speculate overall package would probably be around $9k plus the labor. This is including the cost of a used stock 6L80 vette trans to be at $2k). I have NO clue what trans and ECM/harness R&R labor times are. Off hand I know the biggest hardware expense will be the torque tube adapters. Just gauging it off of the costs associated with making our custom transfer case adapter and input shaft gears which are approximately $1k each. Again these are all prices set on prototype costs. A 10-15 group buy set up would probably shave a good $1k off...maybe.:o

Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I seem to recall the Vette is VERY differnent for this swap, since the trans is in the rear, I think the cradle is different, torque tube, ECM, shifter,.... Not to mention many would probably want the paddle shifter too.

Bet it's gonna cost BIG $$$ to do the conversion and I guess the interest is gonna be iffy once the number gets above $10k.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM
TrueBlueGTO
Cruising

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
I seem to recall the Vette is VERY differnent for this swap, since the trans is in the rear, I think the cradle is different, torque tube, ECM, shifter,.... Not to mention many would probably want the paddle shifter too.

Bet it's gonna cost BIG $$$ to do the conversion and I guess the interest is gonna be iffy once the number gets above $10k.
We've already laid out a package and kit design to address the 24x and related wiring issues.

You would use a Vette 6L80e or have to swap out the output shaft of a AWD/RWD 6L80 transmission. 6L80's unlike 4L60-70 variants utilize the same body casing.

The only tap up/down shifting that we will offer will be on the shifter **** itself. I'm sure incorporating the C6's steering wheel taps is possible, but that is beyond the business model/case. So long as the floor of the C5 clears the bulk of the larger body of the transmission, everything else is really minor to my concern.

Last edited by TrueBlueGTO; 05-16-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueBlueGTO
We've already laid out a package and kit to address the 24x and related wiring issues.

You would use a Vette 6L80e or have to swap out the output shaft of a AWD/RWD 6L80 transmission. 6L80's unlike 4L60-70 variants utilize the same body casing.

The only tap up/down shifting that we will offer will be on the shifter **** itself. I'm sure incorporating the C6's steering wheel taps is possible, but that is beyond the business model/case. So long as the floor of the C5 clears the bulk of the larger body of the transmission, everything else is really minor to my concern.

Well go for it and see what the interest is.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:40 PM
TrueBlueGTO
Cruising

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Well go for it and see what the interest is.
It's only money right?? Due to the extra Vette misc. to address (i.e. torque tube, differential input, and high(er) initial cost of a C5, it is not really high on the priority list. Doing the '99-2005 full size trucks/pickups is an easier and bigger market and the F-body/GTO market would probably be a runner up market. Now that we believe that we can address the LT1/TPI market, that is even a consideration. However, as stated, this is an informal market research before I choose the next vehicle.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

????
Old 05-05-2016, 12:34 PM
ManofSugar96
Intermediate

Anything yet?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by ManofSugar96
Anything yet?
They haven't posted at all since 2011, you might want to contact them outside of the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To 6L80 or 6L90 in C5 Vettes?

Quick Reply: 6L80 or 6L90 in C5 Vettes?