C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt Rubber Smell and Squeal in Reverse ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Burnt Rubber Smell and Squeal in Reverse ??

2004 Z06
Textrilla Clutch which now has about 4k mi. on it
Only launched hard a couple times since new.
RPM rear end, hardened shafts
was running F1's on the rears

So I had the F1's on the rear since I bought the car. Over the last few months, I notice a heavy "burning rubber" smell when I back up my driveway (slight up-hill). It's coming from under the car. Lately, I've also had a squeal when backing up. Even taking off forward will give off a little of the same squeal.
- I flush the fluid regularly (remote bleeder) and it doesn't "chatter".
- I know the tires aren't the culprit since I changed them to RA-1s last week - no difference in the smell or squeal and no marks on old tires.
- My belt looks near new.
- There are no leaks.
- I've looked underneath for debris and even looked at the cover of the O2 sensor wires as mentioned in a couple of other smell threads.

I don't smell the rubber smell when driving and only slightly when I come to a stop and the windows down.

Anyone have any clues?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Rubber boots on the rear axles rubbing on the brake lines??
Seen that one before. Tried to straighten out the brake line and it broke. I warned him that it probably would before I tried it.
I can't think of anything else that's rubber back there where you might smell it.

Maybe plastic burning. Can you tell if it's coming from the back or front? If you raise your hood, I would expect it to be stronger if it were up front.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Not really. The boots didn't look odd when I had the wheels off two days ago. I didn't "inspect" them but I should have noticed if they were torn up.
I was wondering if it were something like the Torque tube rubber or maybe even the clutch itself????
There is no vibrations and no noticeable noises when driving.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Not really. The boots didn't look odd when I had the wheels off two days ago. I didn't "inspect" them but I should have noticed if they were torn up.
I was wondering if it were something like the Torque tube rubber or maybe even the clutch itself????
There is no vibrations and no noticeable noises when driving.
torque tube rubber is pretty well sealed up in the torque tube. I think the bushing would have to be falling apart in a huge way before it would be able to reach the torque tube walls. If it were in that bad of shape, I would expect it to be completely broken.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

well, thats good to know. I'm going to try and record the sound and see if you or someone can at least identify that. Not sure if they're related since the smell started way before the sound. I just know that usually things get worse...

.. until they break.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
2004 Z06
Textrilla Clutch which now has about 4k mi. on it
Only launched hard a couple times since new.
RPM rear end, hardened shafts
was running F1's on the rears

So I had the F1's on the rear since I bought the car. Over the last few months, I notice a heavy "burning rubber" smell when I back up my driveway (slight up-hill). It's coming from under the car. Lately, I've also had a squeal when backing up. Even taking off forward will give off a little of the same squeal.
- I flush the fluid regularly (remote bleeder) and it doesn't "chatter".
- I know the tires aren't the culprit since I changed them to RA-1s last week - no difference in the smell or squeal and no marks on old tires.
- My belt looks near new.
- There are no leaks.
- I've looked underneath for debris and even looked at the cover of the O2 sensor wires as mentioned in a couple of other smell threads.

I don't smell the rubber smell when driving and only slightly when I come to a stop and the windows down.

Anyone have any clues?
In order for the rubber to burn, there has to be significant exposure to heat...as a result of proximity, contact, or friction. You are not going to generate enough heat on the CV boots just backing up. My focus would be on the belt(both)....remove them, and inspect their entire length, hoses close to the exhaust, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Burnt Rubber Smell and Squeal in Reverse ??

Quick Reply: Burnt Rubber Smell and Squeal in Reverse ??