C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gaskets question.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM
justin_heat05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gaskets question.......

Getting ready to tear apart my engine to replace heads and need recommendations on head and intake gasket replacement procedures. Stock gaskets? Headbolts? Should i use copper coating on the gaskets? Or nothing?

Any other helpful ideas while doing this is appreciated.

Justin
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What year C5?

I use the standard OEM MLSS head gaskets and they work fantastic. Its supporting 450 RWHP with out issue.

Each head removal you MUST replace the head bolts. There torque to yeald one time use only. I recommend upgrading to ARP bolts or better yet, their stud kit. The head stud kit is fantastic! The ARP Bolts are reuseable and so are the studs. Follow the head torque specs to the letter and use the correct torque sequence in the service manual.

You do NOT need to use anything on the gasket. Make sure that the head and block are CLEAN!

Your one step from a cam install. Recommend replacing the timing chain and the OEM harmonic dampner. I use a Power Bond Damper! Excellent quality for the dollar!

Make sure that you get the correct length pushrods for your head application. If the head deck height or valve stem height is different, you will need different pushrods. Upgrade to chrommoly.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by justin_heat05
Getting ready to tear apart my engine to replace heads and need recommendations on head and intake gasket replacement procedures. Stock gaskets? Headbolts? Should i use copper coating on the gaskets? Or nothing?

Any other helpful ideas while doing this is appreciated.

Justin
All these "procedures" are in the service manual.

Get notified of new replies

To gaskets question.......

Quick Reply: gaskets question.......