C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ?

I just read a nice article in the Tech tip section. Its "Spark Plug and Ignition Wire Removal and Installation C5 Corvette LS1".

I was wondering if anybody can tell if there is a performance gain when using this setup (or any other aftermarket setup - plugs/wires).

If you have any info to this, please post.

Thanks, Jochen
Old 03-20-2002, 03:17 PM
jlamay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (Jochen)

I'm not sure about performance gains, but the engine did seem smoother after install. Also, If you are running mods, and your engine is running too lean/rich, your original plugs might be messed up. also, Plug 7 was a b_tch to get out, make sure you have the dual swivel head.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:28 PM
1990bevile
Racer

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (jlamay)

How would it gain performance, other then drawing less power (less resistance in new wires) for each spark? I dont think it would be more then 1 hp gain even.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:31 PM
blackvette1
Instructor

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (Jochen)

I was thinking about changing my plugs/wires since my car has about 43K miles on it. Is this something I should mess with changing or not. Also what plugs and wires can any one recommend. :cheers:
Old 03-20-2002, 03:32 PM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (1990bevile)

A waste of time and $$$ in my opinion...Maybe for the looks?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Da Kind
Burning Brakes

Before wires and plugs mod: 385 rwhp

After wires and plugs mod: 435 rwhp

Just kiddin :D

HP is not the only way to measure performance.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (Da Kind)

Thanks for all the replys. Well, its definitally not for the look (The plugs nobody will ever see and the wires are below the fuel rail covers), and if there is no performance gain with copper plugs, why change to copper when they last only a third the time a platinum last . . .
I hope i dont get flamed, but my engine runs very very smooth with the first set of stock platinums (42 K miles)!

Maybe there is another benefit i havent seen yet ?!?

Jochen
Old 03-20-2002, 05:41 PM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's always great to upgrade your ignition with hotter wires and plugs. You should check your plugs often, depending on your driving. It's not a big performance mod on a stock motor, but it helps creates a hotter/fuller spark, which helps complete ignition of the fuel in the cylinder which helps eliminate knock. I't also cuts down on battery drain and can help with any interference you may be getting through your radio and electronics. Since everything on our car is aluminum we really don't have a good ground. And since your going to pulll them, replace them. Our stock plugs have a problem with losing their pucks(insulator around the electrode). I found the bests prices on the best wires(Magnecor 8.5,$69.00) and plugs(NGK TR55's $1.95) at Thunderracing.com.
Hey, I just hit 300 posts! :cool: :cheers:

[Modified by ScreaminDemon, 3:43 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 05:59 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

FWIW, the last time I checked with LPE, John was using stock wires and Bosch Platinum plugs on all his engines. He said no performance gain with aftermarket wires and copper plugs. :)
Old 03-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Mr. C's 5
Burning Brakes

Joe,
Let's not forget all the storys about the platium pucks falling off the electrodes and making the gap too large. - C.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:19 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Just to summarize.

Plugs and Wires dont directly create or develop HP.

With that said, there are some reasons to be the most efficient in all conditions, with respect to EMI interference and heat resistance.

What achieves that?

Copper Plugs, and high quality silicon wires.

What does GM use?
They use platinum plugs, with pucks, where the pucks fall off eventually in nearly all cases. This creates a larger the spec gap, and reduces performance and smoothness. The wires are crappy carbon based pieces.

Copper is the best dissapator of heat, and that is critical in a performance motor that sees sustained hi temperture combustion. These keeps preignition away.

High quality wires not only insure efficient spark delivery, but also are important in high temp areas when using headers, and also should be selected for EMI reduction and elimination.

My choice. NGK TR55 Copper plugs, and Magnecor wires. :yesnod:

[Modified by kewlbrz, 4:20 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (kewlbrz)

I just bought a set of MSD 8.5's. I bought them basically because they're red and the black stock wires are boring looking. I don't expect any performance gains from them, but God knows it won't stop raining here so I'll never be able to know. :(
Old 03-20-2002, 08:38 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (QuickSilver97)

:lol: I don't mean it in a bad way but some of these mods do squat.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:37 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (John Shiels)

Thank you guys for all your opinions.

Jochen
Old 03-21-2002, 09:47 AM
dahoof
Burning Brakes

I just changed mine this past weekend. Although I will not claim mor HP. I will say that the engine runs a whole lot smoother. Not that it didn't run smooth before but a definite difference. :cheers: :yesnod:
Old 03-21-2002, 10:00 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ? (dahoof)

If there are no defects in what you have , the plugs and wires do zip. wires and plugs don't add a thing unless there is a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ?

Quick Reply: Any performance gain with aftermarket plugs and ignition wires ?