C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air bag light on is there a way to reset it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 PM
dirty-c5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bag light on is there a way to reset it?

My car has a custom cam in it and sometimes when its cold it will die when shifting between gears. It did this yesterday and I just let out on the clutch while rolling and let it start the car and noticed the air bag light came on and also is flashed a message chargeing fault. Is there a way to reset the air bag light?

Last edited by dirty-c5; 07-24-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I need this too. I did some under the dash wiring, and now my air bag light is on?

Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Me too... Replaced the horn membrane and now the airbag light stays on...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Update;
Cleared all codes (will drive again and see what sets) and unhooked battery for 30 mins. Still have light
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Update;
Cleared all codes (will drive again and see what sets) and unhooked battery for 30 mins. Still have light
I had the same problem after replacing my busted horn membrane, it turned out that the large yellow connector that runs from the airbag to the center of the steering wheel wasn't seated properly. I pulled the wheel apart again yesterday and fixed it and viola... no more airbag light.

One of the procedures in the service manual for disabling the SBIR system is to unplug the SIR wiring harness at the base of the steering column (I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's the harness to the far right hand side if you're facing the steering wheel. If you were doing some under the dash wiring, you might have disturbed one of those wires. Have you looked at that yet?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

The only thing that I could imagine it might be, is that I did disturbed/momentary disconnect a wire that had something to do with the airbag. I didn't disturb anything close to the steering wheel, and was no where around the bumper.
I spiced into a couple different wires that were hot with ignition on, so I wonder if I disturbed them. I'm pretty confident I put everything back as it was other than the splices.
Does anyone know what color wire runs to the air bag switch in the steering wheel?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

The only thing that I could imagine it might be, is that I did disturbed/momentary disconnect a wire that had something to do with the airbag. I didn't disturb anything close to the steering wheel, and was no where around the bumper.
I spiced into a couple different wires that were hot with ignition on, so I wonder if I disturbed them. I'm pretty confident I put everything back as it was other than the splices.
Does anyone know what color wire runs to the air bag switch in the steering wheel?
I don't remember the color, but if you remove the knee bolster on the driver's side and crawl under there gymnast style and look up, it should be the harness farthest to your left (if your feet are towards the rear of the car). It's a relatively small harness, I think just couple of wires with electrical tape around them...

Maybe someone will chime in with a better description of the wiring...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

I would disconnect what ever it is that you installed as you may be pulling down the Ignition 1 voltage to the SDM. This is part of the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

I think the wires you speak of are white and dark green.

Last edited by 87SAM; 07-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 AM
RRRROAR
Heel & Toe

When did you have the cam put in ? I had a shop put a cam in my car and they did not tie off the steering wheel and they let it spin 360 deg and it broke the clock spring and the air bag light came on , the clock spring is in the steering column , had to take it to a dealer and 349.00 later light off hope that's not it
Old 07-28-2017, 06:06 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

You still have a fault some where in the SRS System. GM designed the SRS to automatically reset itself once the fault is repaired.
Before I purchased my Tech 2, I purchased a Scanner that can reset SRS system codes and light only to find out that as soon as I replaced the front impact sensor on my Silverado the trouble code and light reset itself.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Thread is from July 2010 so I doubt the poster still cares........... JMHO

I need to pay a little more attention...
Old 02-01-2021, 12:00 AM
JetBlack_Z06
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SG Lou

I need to pay a little more attention...
Well I'm glad you replied because I hope it does reset itself

Get notified of new replies

To air bag light on is there a way to reset it?

Quick Reply: air bag light on is there a way to reset it?