C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

codes = which route to take

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
RTE61
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default codes = which route to take

I've got pcm-0856 c h
and tcs no comm
and sdm u1040 c h
abs light and traction control lamps on cluster
dic says service vehicle soon

I found what they mean but what ground points should i
be checking or would it be faulty ebcm? unpluged ebcm turned
key and reset codes and no change all returned. So before i take off ecbm for repair just want to make sure it's not something else....thanks

update: checking grounds around car but if antbody knows which one would have the tcs and sdm in common it would sure help

Last edited by RTE61; 07-14-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

If you want to varify it's not something besides that ebcm, then the next step would be to varify that the ebcm is recieving all it's proper powers and grounds. Do a good visual check of the harness and connectors. And if you want to be real thorough, ohm out your wires between the ebcm and pcm to make sure they all have good wires running between them. If you find any of this faulty you should chase it first, repair and clear and recheck codes.

Pat Kunz
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Grounds involved are:

G103 Forward lamp harness, on LH frame rail, near brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) In the engine compartment, look at the frame rail just behind the front driver-side wheel well.

G108 Forward lamp harness, below the battery tray on the frame rail.

BE SURE your battery is fully charged, when a battery starts going south you can get these errors. Sure you reset the codes on the DIC by holding the reset button until you hear a beep?? Need to reset all the codes under all the different systems.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM
RTE61
Advanced

according to absfixers mine is unrepairable because of the no comm problem. I checked the grounds, fuses, connections but before i buy a new ecbm i still would like comformation because i also have air bags not working. so my ? is are the air bags not working because ecbm has no comm or ecbm has no comm because of air bag problem?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Check the airbag sysem for codes and see what they say, I doubt they are related but you never know.

Pat Kunz
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM
RTE61
Advanced

air bag code is U1040 Loss of Communications with TCS so i guess my air bag problem is because of tcs problem
and pcm code P0856 - Traction Control input signal is because of tcs too
Old 07-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Code P0856 indicates the PCM isn't receiving a good requested torque signal. That means the EBCM, the wiring between the EBCM or the PCM could have a fault. With the no com on the TCS that is a good indication the problem may be in the EBCM or its voltage supply. Battery and battery ground connections, the ABS fuse, wiring between the underhood electrical center and the EBCM can all affect that along with the EBCM ground which is located at G108. G103 is the ground for the BPMV and pump motor circuit which goes through the relay in the EBCM. This isn't an issue with the relay so G103 is not the culprit.

As for the U1040H code is the air bag warning light lit? The U code indicates the restraint system has missed some State of Health messages which are periodically sent out on the serial bus by all modules. Since you got the code that indicates the SDM is talking to the serial bus. You don't show any other codes for the SDM so I suspect you don't have a problem there unless the air bag light is on. The codes for the SDM are:
B0016, B0017, or B0018
B0022, B0024, or B0026
B0051
B0053
B0090
B0091
B1001

Here is the diagnostic for P0856. This shows up as a 5 column table in the service manual but the way the forum interprets the printing it will show up as a single column table.
DTC C1277 or P0856
Circuit Description

The EBCM and the PCM simultaneously control the traction control. The PCM reduces the amount of torque supplied to the drive wheels by retarding spark timing and selectively turning off fuel injectors. The EBCM actively applies the brakes to the front wheels in order to reduce torque.
The EBCM sends a requested torque message via a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the PCM. The duty cycle of the signal is used to determine how much engine torque the EBCM is requesting the PCM to deliver. Normal values are between 10 and 90 percent duty cycle. The signal should be at 90 percent when traction control is not active and at lower values during traction control activations. The PCM supplies a pull up voltage of 5 volts that the EBCM switches to ground to create the signal.
The PCM sends a delivered torque message via a pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to the EBCM. The duty cycle of the signal is used to determine how much engine torque the PCM is delivering. Normal values are between 10 and 90 percent duty cycle. The signal should be at low values (around 10 percent) at idle and higher values under driving conditions. The EBCM supplies a pull up voltage of 12 volts that the PCM switches to ground to create the signal.
When certain PCM DTCs are set, the PCM will not be able to perform the torque reduction portion of traction control. A serial data message is sent to the EBCM indicating that traction control is not allowed.
Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine is running.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

C1277
The PCM diagnoses the requested torque signal circuit and sends a serial data message to the EBCM indicating a fault is present.
P0856
One of the following conditions exists:

The PCM detects that requested torque signal is out of the valid range.

The PCM does not receive the requested torque signal.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

If equipped, the following actions occur:

The EBCM disables the TCS/VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.

The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Fail Records data only.

The Traction Control and Active Handling indicator turns ON.

The DIC displays the following messages:

-
Service Traction System

-
Service Active Handling

The ABS remains functional.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for the DTC is no longer present (the DTC is not current) and you used the scan tool Clear DTC function.

The condition for the DTC is no longer present (the DTC is not current) and you used the On-Board Diagnostics Clear DTC function.

The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.

The PCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 40 consecutive warm-up cycles.

Diagnostic Aids

The following conditions can cause this concern:

An open in the requested torque circuit

An short to ground or voltage in the requested torque circuit

A wiring problem, terminal corrosion, or poor connection in the requested torque circuit

A communication frequency problem

A communication duty cycle problem

The PCM is not receiving information from the EBCM

Loose or corroded EBCM ground or PCM ground

A DTC P1571 may set along with several other PCM DTCs if the key is held in the CRANK position while the engine is running. The starter lockout function of the PCM is enabled several seconds after the engine is running and prevents the starter from engaging while the engine is running. This will cause a partial loss of power to some components and systems.
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

3. Clear the DTC in order to verify that the fault is present.

4. Measure the requested torque signal in order to determine if the signal has a valid duty cycle.

5. Measure the requested torque signal in order to determine if the signal has a valid frequency.

11. This vehicle is equipped with a PCM which uses an electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM). When replacing the PCM, the replacement PCM must be programmed.

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Connector End View Reference: Antilock Brake System Connector End Views or Powertrain Control Module Connector End Views in Engine Controls-5.7 L

Step 1

Did you perform the ABS Diagnostic System Check?

--

Go to Step 2

Step 2

Inspect the EBCM ground and PCM ground, making sure each ground is clean and torqued to the proper specification. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 3

Step3

1. Install a scan tool.

2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

3. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs in both the EBCM and PCM.

4. Turn OFF the ignition.

5. Start the engine.

Does the DTC reset as a current DTC?

--

Go to Step 4

Step4

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

2. Disconnect the EBCM harness connector.

3. Install the J 39700 universal breakout box using the J 39700-300 cable adapter to the EBCM harness connector and the EBCM connector.

4. Start the engine.

5. Measure the DC duty cycle between the requested torque signal circuit and a good ground.

Is the duty cycle within the specified range?

5-95%

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 6

Step5

Measure the DC Hz between the requested torque signal circuit and a good ground.

Does the frequency measure within the specified range?

121-134 Hz

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 6

Step 6

2. Disconnect the J 39700-300 cable adapter from the EBCM connector.

Important: Disconnecting the EBCM connector and turning ON the ignition could cause other modules to set loss of communication DTCs (Uxxxx). Once the EBCM is reconnected, the EBCM may set DTC C1298.

3. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

4. Measure the voltage from the requested torque signal circuit to a good ground.

Does the voltage measure within the specified range?

4-6 V

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 7

Step 7

2. Disconnect the powertrain control module (PCM) harness connector.

Test the requested torque signal circuit for the following conditions:

--

A short to voltage

A short to ground

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 10

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Step 8

2. Disconnect the powertrain control module (PCM) harness connector.

Test the requested torque signal circuit for the following conditions:

--

An open

A high resistance

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 9

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Step 9

Inspect for poor connections the harness connector of the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 11

Step 10

Inspect for poor connections the harness connector of the EBCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--

Go to Step 13

Go to Step 12

Step11

Important: The replacement PCM must be programmed.

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module Replacement in Engine Controls - 5.7 L.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 13

--

Step 12

Replace the EBCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 13

--

Step 13

1. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.

2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.

Does the DTC reset?

--

Go to Step 2

System OK

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-15-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:02 AM
RTE61
Advanced

Thanks that gives me plenty to look at. Not sure how far I can go on the list unless I can find a scanner.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by RTE61
Thanks that gives me plenty to look at. Not sure how far I can go on the list unless I can find a scanner.
You have all the scanner you need right on the dash board. Just use the DIC to read the codes. Better than any autoparts store scanner you can buy.

Bill
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM
99MALLETT396
Racer

Default PCM P0856 H C & SDM U1040 H c

My car is having the same problem as yours, did you figuer out a way to fix it? Please let me know thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
RTE61
Advanced

Default Update

Just to let everyone know the results. I sent my ecbm to modulemaster they could not fix for 150.00 but sold me a rebuilt one for 200.00 + tax and shipping = 227.00. Hook it up and cleared codes and all is back to normal. Except for my code for crank system relearn still looking for a scanner that will allow me to do that. Would rather spend the money for the scanner than to pay for the stealership to relearn it. Thanks for everyone input on this matter.

Get notified of new replies

To codes = which route to take

Quick Reply: codes = which route to take