C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-5 Brake Line pinhole and Rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 04:18 PM
No More Harley
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C-5 Brake Line pinhole and Rust

I have a '99 C 5 and have a problem with a pin hole leak in the brake line. It appears to be in a tough spot on the drivers side and a bit under the steering column towards the front of the engine. Pushing the brake sprays fluid up on a fan belt. One mechanic is suggesting that this could be real trouble if rust is found all through the brake line system. You may repair this spot and be doing the same repair in a different location a short time from now. We will look into repairing the line next week and I wonder if there is some advise on how far do you go or what things to look for in break line repair when the car is 23 years old and showing rust issues. The car has been driven mostly in the Washington DC area.
Thanks for any ideas.
David
Old 06-01-2022, 05:42 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

If it were my car, I would likely remove as much of a large section as you can, back to where you can make good unions, and replace with hand bendable brake line.
Amazon Amazon

I race a Mustang in NASA Camaro Mustang Challenge, and that's how we build them.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:49 PM
imma_stocker
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If that part of the line is rusted, I'd bet the rest is worse. Brake lines usually rust where they get salted or sandblasted. Your description should be away from both.

Unless someone tried to clean them with a super caustic chemical... I've seen that before.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:07 PM
No More Harley
Advanced

Not exactly sure what you are saying. Understand your bet is that the rust likely not good elsewhere. Don't know how common this is but seems like you have to fix the leak and nearby area and leave the rest for another day?
Agreed?
Old 06-07-2022, 04:31 PM
imma_stocker
Advanced

Originally Posted by No More Harley
Not exactly sure what you are saying. Understand your bet is that the rust likely not good elsewhere. Don't know how common this is but seems like you have to fix the leak and nearby area and leave the rest for another day?
Agreed?
I'm saying the odds are not in your favor that the rust and leak are only in that spot. If the external environment didn't cause rust and pinhole leak, then there is a good chance the damage started on the inside. Looking at the fluid when it leaked out and when you bleed through the calipers usually tells you what is going on. If you decide to have that section repaired and leave the rest alone then be sure the ends are correctly flared with the repaired section being the same material (steel vs aluminum) and same size. Look for leaks immediately and also keep an eye on it over time. Look at how line locks are installed, that's a pretty good example of how to patch brake lines.

FWIW, I've repaired small sections, large sections, replaced complete lines from salvage vehicles, and fabricated complete lines for upgraded brakes. Currently have a Bronco in the shop getting a bunch of suspension work including F-350 disc brakes all around and I'll be making new brake lines from the new hydroboost master cylinder to new calipers to push enough volume for the new calipers.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:52 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I would suggest you find some good used lines and replace them all. Front and rear.

My rears were that bad. Vette nuts had good used ones. Pretty cheap too.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:09 PM
imma_stocker
Advanced

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I would suggest you find some good used lines and replace them all. Front and rear.

My rears were that bad. Vette nuts had good used ones. Pretty cheap too.
Not all C5 have brake lines routed the same. Seen early C5 with ABS block in the rear and later C5 with the ABS block in the engine bay. Just something to look for before getting the wrong parts for the job.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:55 PM
No More Harley
Advanced

Mechanic is finished with repair from rust in line in front under steering column.. Pin hole leak.
Repaired by hand forming new lines.
Not aware of what you mean by ABS block

Get notified of new replies

To C-5 Brake Line pinhole and Rust

Quick Reply: C-5 Brake Line pinhole and Rust