C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBCM Out of Warranty fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:17 PM
sandmanusd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Believe what you want-that won't get your car fixed. If it was a real safety issue, there has been enough STINK over this that there would have been a recall by now. A feature not working is NOT always a safety issue.

Im sorry that is how you think the world works. It is not a recall because it hasn't been proven to kill anyone and they havn't lost any lawsuits yet... That doesn't mean its not a safety issue, it means the cost / benefit analysis study they conducted (and believe me they have conducted it) has not waranted a recall yet. And unless people can prove deaths and win lawsuits vs GM over the issue, they won't issue one, because it would cost them too much money to do the right thing.

THAT my friend is how the world works. Companies do things based on bottom lines, not what is right / wrong. The fact that it isnt a recall doesnt PROVE its not a saftey issue, the only thing it proves without a doubt is that it would cost more money for GM to MAKE it a recall then its worth to them... Cost / benefit analysis... google it
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sandmanusd
Im sorry that is how you think the world works. It is not a recall because it hasn't been proven to kill anyone and they havn't lost any lawsuits yet... That doesn't mean its not a safety issue, it means the cost / benefit analysis study they conducted (and believe me they have conducted it) has not waranted a recall yet. And unless people can prove deaths and win lawsuits vs GM over the issue, they won't issue one, because it would cost them too much money to do the right thing.

THAT my friend is how the world works. Companies do things based on bottom lines, not what is right / wrong. The fact that it isnt a recall doesnt PROVE its not a saftey issue, the only thing it proves without a doubt is that it would cost more money for GM to MAKE it a recall then its worth to them... Cost / benefit analysis... google it
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
MightyDuc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your frustration, sandman. But in the grand scheme of things, you can get this fixed for $50 plus whatever it costs to have it removed and reinstalled after the module itself is repaired. I would imagine that a post in one of the regional forums might net you a fellow vette owner that would be willing to do it for a beer or two...

I had the same issue with my car, and while it is disappointing that GM won't step up to the plate, I honestly wouldnt expect them to in the current financial environment. Plus, I get a ton of pleasure from driving my car... Sure, I could probably get them to pay for it if I was relentless, but to me, it just wasn't worth it... $50 and a week later, and I'm as good as new. I'll just consider it a typical maintenance expense and be done with it!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
XX
XX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MightyDuc
I understand your frustration, sandman. But in the grand scheme of things, you can get this fixed for $50 plus whatever it costs to have it removed and reinstalled after the module itself is repaired. I would imagine that a post in one of the regional forums might net you a fellow vette owner that would be willing to do it for a beer or two...

I had the same issue with my car, and while it is disappointing that GM won't step up to the plate, I honestly wouldnt expect them to in the current financial environment. Plus, I get a ton of pleasure from driving my car... Sure, I could probably get them to pay for it if I was relentless, but to me, it just wasn't worth it... $50 and a week later, and I'm as good as new. I'll just consider it a typical maintenance expense and be done with it!
I will keep you in mind next time for a beer or two and I will even drive up too you...J/k....This is a common part failure for the c5 GM knows it and ignores it.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM
corvettekit
1st Gear

Default fix

i fix it this in 5 min ask me how ...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clayton: go to the auction site, copy and paste the following into the search bar: DELPHI CORVETTE ABS COMPUTER EBCM ECU REBUILD REPAIR

I emailed him asking about this service; he seems confident he can fix it. I pulled mine out this morning, and it will be on its way to him tomorrow... I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW - he claims to have 26 years of automotive electronics experience, and to have repaired over 3,600 of these things... Plus he has tons of positive feedback from people that have sent their EBCMs to him. I'm not scared!
Dave repaired my EBCM on my 02 Z06 w/17k, $50 and returned the same day he received my unit.

Just buy the Torx #20 drivers ( 1 short 1 long from Sears) and the R&R is very straight forward.

Ed
Old 10-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

What is your answer for those that have 97-00 with this problem?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sandmanusd
This is a saftey issue on a vehicle that should be recalled, but since it hasn't killed 1000's of people yet, they don't bother. See Toyota for further details on ignoring safety issues and what they SHOULD have done. This is no different from Toyota issue..

Regardless of if a car can work without a safety feature, or the fact that back in the "olden days" cars didnt come with ABS doesn't work, as cars didnt used to have seatbelts either. Its called progress, ABS are standard on just about every car in the world now, and I expect GM to fix something that is an obvious issue with their product. If the A/C had gone out after this long, I would agree with you, but through no fault of my own, a faulty saftey feature on a GM car is broken and I expect a company to take care of it. If not because they care about it killing anyone, for business sake. As I have never taken my car to anyone but Chevy dealer for any service, oil change etc. Now they will never get any money from me again.

Its simple business 101... Make the repair for cost at $500 or whatever it would cost them, and continue to have a customer for life, who will pay $500 10 fold or more. OR... as they choose to do it: Save $500 now and lose 10's of $1000's in future sales and business from that customer and anyone he knows. GM was bailed out for poor business decisions by OUR tax money, yet you support poor business decisions by them now.

The fact is this is a safety issue that should be a recall. Anyone who has taken business 101 or any Economics course knows that the price for human life is anywhere between $5-10 million. So if it saves GM $500 by ignoring an issue and has the potential of killing only 10 people, they can pay out the $10 per lawsuit and still save money.
Dude, it's a 9 year old sports car. Your warranty ran out long ago, and things are going to break. No manufacturer will fix things forever. It doesn't matter if it's a safety feature or not. By your logic, I should be able to roll my '76 Stingray up into the dealer and get new seatbelts and a brake booster, right? They're safey items after all!

And if you think your beloved Toyota dealer would treat you any differently, then throw down for an LFA and try to get them to replace the ABS module 9 years later. Report back how hard they laugh at you.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AFAIK, this system isn't required to be operational for a State Safety Inspection. An air bag light will fail and a check engine will fail an emmissions but that's it. The hydraulic system and friction components must be in good condition but no one ever looks at the ABS. That tells me that the powers making up safety inspection rules do not consider this a required feature to operate the vehicle.

As far as causing an accident, I doubt there would be a case even if it did happen. The warning light clearly tells the driver the system is disabled. If said driver then continues to operate the vehicle in a manner causing them to lose control, who's fault is that? In other words, if you know your ABS & TC are disabled and you take a 25mph curve at 60 or floorboard the throttle on a wet road...who should be at fault. I'd say the driver is.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fendermender
AFAIK, this system isn't required to be operational for a State Safety Inspection. An air bag light will fail and a check engine will fail an emmissions but that's it. The hydraulic system and friction components must be in good condition but no one ever looks at the ABS. That tells me that the powers making up safety inspection rules do not consider this a required feature to operate the vehicle.

As far as causing an accident, I doubt there would be a case even if it did happen. The warning light clearly tells the driver the system is disabled. If said driver then continues to operate the vehicle in a manner causing them to lose control, who's fault is that? In other words, if you know your ABS & TC are disabled and you take a 25mph curve at 60 or floorboard the throttle on a wet road...who should be at fault. I'd say the driver is.

It is not a safety issue. It does suck that it fails, but it is not life threatening in anyway. I had mine fail. I sent it to ABSFixer for repair and reinstalled myself.

If you can't afford to have the dealer fix the problem, then see if someone in Cali can help you out. Post up in the regional section asking for some help. It takes very little time to pull one out and replace and we have a lot of nice Corvette owners on this board willing to help.

Quick Reply: EBCM Out of Warranty fix?