C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights won't pop-up sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Stonecutter908
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights won't pop-up sporadically

This just started this morning for me. I had to sit and wait for the sun to come up before I was able to hit the road. The headlights refused to pop-up.

Now home and with the car parked, here is what am experiencing ...

I have the hood up and am testing without the keys in the ignition. Turn the dial to parking lights, ok, turn the dial to head lights and lights come on but headlights don't pop-up. No clicking or gear grinding to be heard. Try again, and it works now for the first time today after failing a couple dozen for me. Try again, and fails.

I have some electrical gremlins and am not sure where to start troubleshooting from here. When they did pop-up on the one attempt, it was business as usual. No grinding, slow moving parts, or extra cranks on the way up or down.

Ruled out a fuse or the actual motor that moves the headlights since the problem is sporadic. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM
CBILLY1
Instructor

Your problem is more than likely the "headlamp control module" located under the right headlamp. Pull the module and open it up. You can reseal it with silicone. There is a relay inside that develops corroision. I'll be glad to email some photos if that will help.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 PM
dpop
3rd Gear

How old is your battery?

Will the lamps raise if you raise the rpms before turning the switch?

I've had this happen both times on old batteries.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by CBILLY1
Your problem is more than likely the "headlamp control module" located under the right headlamp. Pull the module and open it up. You can reseal it with silicone. There is a relay inside that develops corroision. I'll be glad to email some photos if that will help.
Poor advice, since no troubleshooting has been done.

To the OP:

DO NOT start opening up the control module until you have checked the "headlights on input" to the control module. Per the schematic below, you will find two connectors on the control module. The connector you are interested in has the following wire colors: white, dark green, 2-orange wires, black. Check for 12 volts at the white wire, with the headlight switch to on. If you have 12 volts, then the control module is suspect. If you do not have 12 volts, then the wiring or MFS is suspect.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Stonecutter908
Racer

Resolved.

Lights not popping up was my first symptom of a battery at EOL. It finally died on me and I had to replace.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have a 2002 Z06 with 67,500 miles and the drivers side head light sometimes will not come up. It is embarrassing to have to open the hood and lightly tap the headlight motor cover with the small rubber hammer I now have to carry with me. After a few taps the light comes up. I haven’t noticed any weird noise…

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights won't pop-up sporadically

Quick Reply: Headlights won't pop-up sporadically