C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 01:46 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors

I want to upgrade my stock rotors (they are warped pretty bad anyway) and refuse to buy another set of GM-crap.

Without spending 6k on the really good rotors, I see cross-drilled Baer rotors for $750-850 (set of 4) and also some "power slotted" for $500 (set of 4). Are cross-drilled worth it (they do look good) and should I pick slotted over cross-drilled for any reason (other than that they are cheaper).

Old 03-30-2002, 09:36 AM
nevadacoin
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (007)

cross-drilled Baer rotors look sweet.. :seeya
Old 03-30-2002, 10:09 AM
dmc1007
Drifting

Cruise-In I Veteran

Shop around..U can probably get a better price than the one u mentioned...
Old 03-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Brian Madderom
Instructor

You know what they say, looks don't mean a thing. Cross-drilled rotors tend to warp and crack quicker than the slotted. When you drill a rotor your taking valuable material out of the rotor which will weaken the rotor structure and take away from the friction surface. There is only one company I know of who is double ball milling their gas slotts and thermal cycling the rotors by heating and freezing them which aligns the molecules, reduces warping, and hardens them for durability. Vette Brakes and Products is getting approximately four times the rotor life over stock rotors in C-5 full racing showroom stock applications. I'd personally rather use the slotted rotors because they last longer. :flag
Old 03-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Iboomalot
Racer

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Brian Madderom)

There is only one company I know of who is double ball milling their gas slotts and thermal cycling the rotors by heating and freezing them which aligns the molecules, reduces warping, and hardens them for durability

and thissss would be WHO???????????????????????
Old 03-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I vote for eradispeed. They also have a "Limited Lifetime Warranty, against Warping."

http://www.eradispeed.com/warranty.shtm

Old 03-30-2002, 04:49 PM
99 Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Hammer)

I went with the Eradispeeds. A lot of people have them and I looked through every post I could find about them and couldn't find anything bad about them. I'm happy with them :cheers:

Jerry
Old 03-30-2002, 10:19 PM
Mako
Drifting

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Hammer)

A leading Forum vendor told me that Eradispeeds are NOT covered by a warranty against warping or cracking--esp on the track. My buddy also personally had a problem with this--on the street even. So if you get the Eradispeeds (and they do look great), get the replacement policy in writing.

I went with Power Slot rotors.

Old 03-30-2002, 11:05 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Mako)

If you want performance , you don't want slots or holes. :cheers:
Old 03-30-2002, 11:35 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (aces)

If you want performance , you don't want slots or holes. :cheers:
Hmm, Porsches $179,000 GT2 has drilled rotors, but hey, maybe they just do it for looks... And BMW M3's - ditto. Ferrari 360 Modeno - ditto. But what do these guys know about performance?

[Modified by jschindler, 9:35 PM 3/30/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 01:12 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (jschindler)

Aren't the holes in the pricey rotors cast in?
Old 03-31-2002, 01:19 AM
XKR100
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Jim,I'm with you.Have the eradispeeds and have had no problems at all.They stop on a dime and look good,too! But then again what do I know!!

Jerry

[Modified by yellowvette01, 11:20 PM 3/30/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 01:25 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (TooManyIDs)

If you do track events, rotors are a wear item like brake pads and you just get the performance GM rotors.

All othe rotors are for looks!!!

If you are gonna invest in high dollar rotors remember drilled rotors are just for looks. Porsche vented rotors are cast with the holes in them which makes all the difference in the world.

the only real high performance rotors are the ones that are cast with the holes and are cryo treated.

If you just drive on the street, get the lowest cost pretty rotors. It ain't gonna matter that much.

If you are gonna be needing to slow from 150 mph to 50 mph a lot then expect to replace a lot of rotors.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Gary2KC5)

From what the Porsche guys tell me their rotors also crack and warp. As said before they are an expendable item. As for the Baer rotors the last time I checked they were just stock GM rotors that had been massaged a little to make them look good but do not really perform any better.

By the way, how do you know your rotors are warped? Have you put a dial indicator on them to find out?

Bill
Old 04-01-2002, 01:52 AM
REDLYNER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Bill Dearborn)

I am new into the C5 world -I have been driving/racing a RX7 for about 7 years. I was always told that the cross drilled rotors allowed heat to escape better than the slotted. I guess it might be different for the Vette. Anyway, just my $.02

-Jay
Old 04-01-2002, 04:24 AM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

A couple of things...

In general, drilled and slotted rotors are just for looks. Most modern pads (and all street pads that I know of) do not generate enough gas to require relief via holes and slots. In addition, drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking. Porsche and other cast the holes into the rotors, which does not increase the likelyhood of cracking. In this case also, it's mostly for looks.

On the street, rotors typicaly warp due to abuse.. With very hot brakes, stopping with your foot on the brake pedal (like at a light) will be the leading cause of rotor warp. Parking with very hot brakes is another. On the track, you always cool your brakes down before stopping and you never sit with your foot on the brakes, or use the parking brake. As a result, very few people warp their rotors at the track and most people (like me) use stock GM rotors.

So, save your money, buy stock rotors, and be conscious of how you treat your brakes.

Mike :flag
Old 04-01-2002, 09:02 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Mike Schriber)

A couple of things...

In general, drilled and slotted rotors are just for looks. Most modern pads (and all street pads that I know of) do not generate enough gas to require relief via holes and slots. In addition, drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking. Porsche and other cast the holes into the rotors, which does not increase the likelyhood of cracking. In this case also, it's mostly for looks.

On the street, rotors typicaly warp due to abuse.. With very hot brakes, stopping with your foot on the brake pedal (like at a light) will be the leading cause of rotor warp. Parking with very hot brakes is another. On the track, you always cool your brakes down before stopping and you never sit with your foot on the brakes, or use the parking brake. As a result, very few people warp their rotors at the track and most people (like me) use stock GM rotors.

So, save your money, buy stock rotors, and be conscious of how you treat your brakes.

Mike :flag
I've owned a whole lot of cars over the past 30 years, and one trend in brakes warping is very notable. I've had brakes warp on several American cars - both
GM and Ford, but of the 20 or so Japanese cars I've owned, not one has warped. So I don't think it's the driver or conditions - I drive all of my cars the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors

Old 04-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Mad_Dog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have the eradispeed and have been very satisified. They are not knock offs of the GM as someone said above. My 2cents.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:41 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I warped the Rotors on my past 91 Infinity G20 in about 80k miles. Then again this car got the "beat down" on a daily basis. I still got 186k miles out of it before I sold it. Tranny rebuilt at 112k.

I've owned a whole lot of cars over the past 30 years, and one trend in brakes warping is very notable. I've had brakes warp on several American cars - both
GM and Ford, but of the 20 or so Japanese cars I've owned, not one has warped. So I don't think it's the driver or conditions - I drive all of my cars the same.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:04 AM
gbecton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors (Mike Schriber)

Good comments about not using the parking brake on hot rotors. I have Baer drilled and slotted (GM Rotors) mostly for looks, however, this past weekend at Sears Point I did five thirty minute runs on the track and my brakes are fine. I think the key was not using the parking brake until cool. I'm also using the Hawk Carbon Pads.

[Modified by gbecton, 7:24 PM 4/1/2002]

Quick Reply: Cross drilled vs. slotted rotors