C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vararam VR-B2 & Powerduct experience.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default My Vararam VR-B2 & Powerduct experience.

Well just thought I would give a review or let you guys know my experience with the Vararam, I ordered it off a forum member here it was brand new he never installed it.

When the part arrived I could tell how horrible the quality was as soon as I opened the box, the fog light bezels were held on by 4 rivets on the top and they were flimsy and look like the were cut with a dremel poorly put together. So I thought what the hell it's suppose to perform great, so I pulled the car on ramps and started pulling it apart I was reading the instructions from Vararam but they are very poorly written so I brought up some instructions online. Install wasn't bad took about 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't fit great but o well. I got it all installed started the car and of course it was idling rough sounded like crap which is expected I could hear the air sucking from the front of the car sounded great I thought wow this thing is really gonna work. So my friend has a 03 EVO 400AWHP and we have raced before and he would get me by about 3 cars after the Vararam it was more like 1 car. So I was impressed by that.

UNTIL the next morning I get into my car and my CEL is on, hmmm so I run the codes and its bank 1 & 2 lean, so I was dissapointed I was going to the track that night to test it out. I read online that you can have the PCM re-learn it but I didn't have time, which I SHOULDN'T have to because according to Vararam you don't need a tune. So I took it to the track on DR's.

Now stock my best time is a 12.3@116, so I thought 11's were capable with DR's and this intake WRONG, out of 7 or 8 passes only 1 was better it was a 12.2@117, other than that all the other passes were the same E/T and trap speed, HIGHLY DISSAPOINTED. Hopefully its just because its throwing codes and the car is probably pulling timing.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
timritchieblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.c5forum.com/diy/idlerelearn.php

keep us updated, getting ready to order one myself

could one beef up the system with better rivets or screws?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use your head a little bit and do the drive cycle so the engine computer can adjust to the added air flow! Sheesh!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Use your head a little bit and do the drive cycle so the engine computer can adjust to the added air flow! Sheesh!
I agree. You can't throw one of these on and go straight to the strip.
The computer has to take time/miles to relearn.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised you ran with a lean condition and any codes. Not a good idea when you're pushing your car to the limit at a track event.

You also need to make sure you're comparing ET/mph under the same or corrected conditions. I've lost a tenth or two during the course of a day because of changes in DA.
Scott
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

You need a tune. The VaraRam ingests so much more air the PCM can't completely re-learn the A/F on it's own.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

It's a CAI, not a Swiss clock. For the price, it's a greatly effective add-on. You people that whine about the quality amaze me. Have you looked at the rest of your car lately? Quality-wise, the Vararam fits right in.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
It's a CAI, not a Swiss clock. For the price, it's a greatly effective add-on. You people that whine about the quality amaze me. Have you looked at the rest of your car lately? Quality-wise, the Vararam fits right in.
....sorry......just a ridiculous statement.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't advise tracking a car that's throwing lean codes, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I guess the vararam is good enough that even with the codes you still ran the same/better. Imagine if you actually get it tuned right.

As far as the cheap riveted ducts, they do that to provide a weak point that breaks easily if you crash your car. Trust me I know, I smacked the nose sideways a curb a few weeks back and it ripped those ducts right off but nothing else got damaged in the intake.

As far as the workmanship, yeah it looks crappy but who cares. If it looked really nice it'd be twice the cost and then people would complain about that. It's still the best system on the market, what can ya do?

Dope
Old 09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Rohan
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm, strange, mine looks really good in there and works great! Who cares what the part you will never see looks like?

I see the same thing with every person who complains about the Vararam and power duct. They put them on stock cars and think that all the sudden their car is going to become a beast. You have to understand that the really noticeable gains will only be achieved when these parts are used in conjunction with other parts.

Get a mild tune to go with that Vararam and maybe some headers and you will be really surprised.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Your statement is beyond ridiculous. So let me get this straight. Because we don't see it, it does not have to be a quality made product? Are you for real? Have you seen what they sell these things for? At that price, it should be made like a Swiss clock.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Your statement is beyond ridiculous. So let me get this straight. Because we don't see it, it does not have to be a quality made product? Are you for real? Have you seen what they sell these things for? At that price, it should be made like a Swiss clock.

Yeah they're about 265 bucks. Big whup. For that money you get a product that actually will improve your 1/4 mile time by at least .2 of a second. I'd call that a screaming bargain for a performance part. If you do alot of mods, you should know how much performance parts cost.

Oh, I see you're an Eastern Canadian. I understand things cost more in the great white, and you're probably French, which means nothing is good enough except maybe Jerry Lewis movies.

Last edited by zeevette; 09-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Yes, it costs $250. Can you name a better made yet cheaper product? Most of the CAIs I've seen are pretty much crap, the Honker is okay but IMO is an inferior design and costs $400 instead. Sure it looks a little nicer but is it worth it? Not to me.

Dope
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Ed@TheVetteDoctors
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Throwing a lean code means the LTFT's were running at least 25% off. To compensate, the PCM will add more fuel to try and bring the STFT's to zero. Luckily when you entered WOT (no closed loop control) the PCM knew it had to add more fuel prior, so it added it to the WOT fueling (Power Enrichment -- PE) as well. The problem is you do not know how much, when etc.

You can try driving around a bit, but I would check for an air leak after the MAF. You shouldn't have sent the trims that far off. You will need a tune to squeeze the very most out of the Vararam, but mark my words, it should and does work.

Good luck

Ed M

Last edited by Ed@TheVetteDoctors; 09-14-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If it were me,,, I would add all the power mods that the budget will afford and go get a good tune. Dont settle for a caned tune. Get a street tune and have the LTFT and MAF tweeked on the street for the BEST results. Your ricer buddy wont have the advantage after that!!

BC
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I just put one on, with Power Duct on my 2001 a month ago. No codes at all. You don't mention what year and engine is in your car. I know some Z06's have had codes issues, but most LS1's don't. That sucking sound you hear is probably a vacuum leak. My car makes no such sound, which might explain your codes. I have a Volant system on my other car, a 300C and it is not any better made that the Vararam. Both made out of thin plastic. Not sure what you were expecting, but I thought mine was reasonably well made.

Phil
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
futuretech
Drifting

Lean can mean piston damage. Ask me how I know.... I have a 2000 and the early models of that year use a different motor mount that lowers the engine about 1". Powerduct must be modified to fit correctly. Bunch of fun.

Last edited by futuretech; 09-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My Vararam VR-B2 & Powerduct experience.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
biggums46
Intermediate

I've had the Vararam and Powerduct on for about 7 months without an issue or code. Track conditions could've been more favorable when you ran it stock vs. Vararam install.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by futuretech
Lean can me piston damage.
what?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
bdiddo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine on for over a year. Absolutely no code issues. I wish i had tracked before doing other mods to baseline the change. But oh well. From the minute i put it on and heard the gulping of air was music to my ears. Again, I did not confirm actual performance but seat of pants was definately felt

ps. this was 4th CAI change

Quick Reply: My Vararam VR-B2 & Powerduct experience.