C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight gear fix just flipping the bad gear 180 degrees?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:15 PM
yaegervette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took mine apart.. cleaned out and flpipped wheel only. i guess it depends how long u let it go for
Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 AM
Spirited1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flipping the gear will not work

Originally Posted by minitech
Looks like the headlight gear only travels half way back and forth and then it breaks by the teeth on the nylon gear breaking. Has anyone just flipped the gear to get more life out of the gear? For mine I would be fine with it working another 11 years!
The gear and assembly is NOT symmetrical and cannot be flipped inside out ... just pop the gear out of engagement with the motor, turn it 180 degrees to engage the motor on the opposite side of the worn gear where the teeth are new ... the original lasted 13 years, Im betting Ill get a few more out of this no cost fix

Last edited by Spirited1; 07-14-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: i was not correct
Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Spirited1
The gear and assembly is NOT symmetrical and cannot be flipped inside out ... just pop the gear out of engagement with the motor, turn it 180 degrees to engage the motor on the opposite side of the worn gear where the teeth are new ... the original lasted 13 years, Im betting Ill get a few more out of this no cost fix

No-one literally meant flipping the gear. They just meant rotating it. No need to take the motor apart. You just take the arm off the motor and rotate the motor by hand 180* and put the arm back on.

Quick Reply: Headlight gear fix just flipping the bad gear 180 degrees?