C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Noises - Throwout or Pilot or??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:15 AM
OldSchoolFormula
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Grinding Noises - Throwout or Pilot or??

So my dad's Z06 is making some very unhappy noises. He's said the transmission has been fairly rough engaging and making a rumbling type of sound between shifts. I just got done bleeding his clutch with him thinking maybe the clutch was hanging up.

Bled it and it's doing the same - perhaps even worse. Hard to say since I didn't drive it beforehand. It grumbles between shifts and at one point didn't want to go into 2nd gear, just ground. Eventually got it into gear with a little rev match and we just drove it straight back. It makes a grinding sound in the driveway when revved, both with the clutch in and with the clutch out in neutral. It does not sound good at all.

We had the clutch replaced with an LS7 unit a little while back along with the hydraulic throwout bearing and if I remember correctly, we had a pilot bushing installed.

Right now I'm a little baffled as to what is but am thinking failed hydraulic throwout bearing. Anyone else encounter this? Bit stuck right now with the other DD being out of commission.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok we need to find out exactly when you do & don't have this Noise!

1) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / Foot off clutch pedal.
Noise? Yes/No

2) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / Foot on clutch pedal. Light pressure.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

3) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

4) Engine Running /Trans in Gear / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

5) Engine Running /Trans in Gear / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.
Is the car trying to move itself? Yes/No
Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Fantastic trouble shooting questions!

Get back to us with those answers and we can help
Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 PM
OldSchoolFormula
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Kuse

1) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / Foot off clutch pedal.
Noise? Yes/No

2) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / Foot on clutch pedal. Light pressure.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

3) Engine Running /Trans in Neutral / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

4) Engine Running /Trans in Gear / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.
Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

5) Engine Running /Trans in Gear / Sitting Still 0mph / clutch pedal depressed to floor.

1) No noise.
2) No noise. When revved you get a very slight vibration at 3k+ as the clutch is slipping slightly.
3) No noise.
4/5. No noise sitting at idle. When revved, as the revs go up no noise. As the revs come back down again absolutely terrible noise and it does the car is trying to move itself. It also feels a little stuck in gear when it does this. It is also not consistent. First time I ran through these tests it did. The second time it didn't the first few times but then went ahead and did it. Grinding and trying to move the car.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Pilot Bearing! While you are in there, check the input shaft were the bearing rides!
Also recheck the clutch set. Bummer!

Last edited by Kevin Kuse; 10-15-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And when you replace it,I would recommend going with a Kevlar/Composite pilot bushing.

http://www.ramclutches.com/ (halfway down the page)

Your propshaft is going to be pretty well chewed up (that's what's happening when it's making the expensive noises)

Smooth the end of the propshaft down with Wet-or-dry#600,then polish it with Mothers till it's got a mirror shine to it. Do not lubricate it if you go with a Kevlar bushing-this just makes crap stick to it ,which will wear the bushing.
My Vette's been running for 6k with a Kevlar pilot, and it works sweet!

Kevin Kuse -Excellent troubleshooting guide !
Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM
vaportech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noise? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

My 2000 is making a grinding noise only when leaving a stop at about 3/4 clutch travel to about 1/4 clutch travel coming from the transaxle. Any Help?

Last edited by vaportech; 11-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

Noise? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

Noise? Yes/No
Did Noise Change? Yes/No

Bringing back a long dead post but I have very similar symptoms. It was actually my brother who made this first post and pointed me in this direction.

1) No noise
2)Very slight noise
3)A lot of noise
4)Same noise as #3
5)Car does not try to move itself

I'm at a loss here. I really hope this doesn't get expensive

**edit** Also if I just start the car I get no noise until it is either revved or put into then taken out of gear.

Last edited by AF Vette; 01-11-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

From your answers, I would be looking Clutch Release Bearing and/or Clutch area problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM
AF Vette
Instructor

So whole new clutch assembly replace both bearings? Just get it all done at once?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Verify you that you found the problem upon inspection! Then Yes!

Get notified of new replies

To Grinding Noises - Throwout or Pilot or??

Quick Reply: Grinding Noises - Throwout or Pilot or??