C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Throttle Body Bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 09:43 AM
VetteBiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Throttle Body Bypass?

Hey Fellow Vette's,

Just received my throttle body bypass kit in the mail. Began to wonder why would GM bother designing the throttle body with hot coolant flowing through it. Is there a reason for the coolant to flow through (maybe warm up a sensor, or something)?

Just seems odd the GM would go out of their way to design something that really had no usefull purpose. Not sure if this question has been asked before, if so, sorry for the duplicate.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Why Throttle Body Bypass? (VetteBiz)

Actually, the throttle body coolant bypass kit has no purpose. For the nanosecond the air passes through the throttle body, the coolant line doesn't increase the air temp even a fraction of a degree. Look at the size of the throttle body, and then estimate how long the air is in there at WOT. You're pulling six to eight cubic feet of air per second through the throttle body, and it doesn't matter if the TB is 150 degrees or 130 degrees.

In cold weather, ice from condensation on your throttle plate can make a difference, though.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Actually it does serve a purpose if you live in the frozen north and your throttle blade ices up :lol:
Old 04-03-2002, 02:11 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

it worked in the C-4s because the whole intake system was aluminum and it picked up heat from the TB and caused a HP loss,but with the C-5s plastic intake manifold that is not a problem because there is no heat transfer to the manifold. :chevy

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 1:12 PM 4/3/2002]
Old 04-03-2002, 02:22 PM
vettvert
Drifting

Default Re: Why Throttle Body Bypass? (clem zahrobsky)

The Vette Doctors told me that my '99 has a bypass line built in from the factory and there is no use for the bypass kit.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:50 PM
corvette_karl
Instructor

Default Re: Why Throttle Body Bypass? (vettvert)

My bypass went on this past weekend. I don't think I expect it to change much, but I figured that it is heat being transferred to the throttlebody and so it couldn't hurt to bypass it.

I live in South-Central Texas and so don't need it to help warm up the throttle body in cold weather. It rarely gets near freezing here and if it does, I keep my car in the garage anyway.

Karl

Get notified of new replies

To Why Throttle Body Bypass?

Quick Reply: Why Throttle Body Bypass?