C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug's Shorty Headers...what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Pajak44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doug's Shorty Headers...what to expect?

After reading many mixed reviews, I ordered a set of Doug's Shorty Headers last night from Summit Racing for my 02 Z06.

Has anyone had any experience with these headers, or shorties in general? If so, could you help me with the following questions...

Keep in mind, the car is stock except for VaraRam intake and a Corsa X-Pipe.

1. Will I notice any increase in power?
2. Will I notice any change in sound?
3. Is it a DIY job, or do I need a mechanic? (I'm no mechanic, but I can turn a wrench.)

What I'm really looking for is a more agressive sound; the stock Z just seems far too quiet for a car with that much power.

I really want to eventually go with Corsa Xtreme, Loud Mouth, or BB Bullets, but that will be when the budget allows. I only had a few hundred to play with now, that's why I went with the shorties. If anyone knows of a better way to get better sound with $500, PLEASE ADVISE!

Thanks for any help!!!

Josh
Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Sorry Josh, Im one of those guys who says shortys arent worth the money. The sound wont be dramatically different, & the power gain is very minimal. Long tubes are the way to go. You can spend $500. on a used set of good headers. I paid $700. for my TPIS longtubes, Random Tech X pipe and Random Tech hi-flow cats. The parts were slightly used, but in great shape.
Good Luck
Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I looked at them years back and found that some people had fitment issues with Dougs in regards to flange lining up with the stock cat pipes.

B&B are better as shorties.

I agree that longtubes are the way to go unless you live in Kalifornia, etc.

Return the shorties and look up forum member Superman09. Hes selling American made polished stainless longtubes with catted x-pipe for $899 shipped and $750 shipped for the catless version. That's currently the best deal on c5 headers right now.

Last edited by ~Josh; 10-30-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 AM
MR.Z06
Racer

Doug's Shorty Headers...what to expect?

Disappointment, Regret
Old 10-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sorry Bud.... Your going to be UN-IMPRESSED! Here are the headers from Superman 09:::

These are for my 06 Coupe but,,,the ones for the C5 look almost identical.

The headers shown below will net you 35 HP, With a VARARAM, there will be even more. Around 10-12. They fit great, are very durable and the price is right!!!

When you change the airflow that much in your engine, you will need a tune to get all the power and economy that your engine has to offer.

Without a tune you will run rich and it will loose fuel efficiency. (read loss of fuel mileage!!! With a tune you will gain it back plus some

My 02 ZO6 with all the mods plus a ported TB and a professional tune made 390 HP at 375 Tq at the rear wheels.

As for the mufflers, once you add the headers, your Ti exhaust will wake up and sound better.

Take it from experience, when you change mufflers, change them fo sound ONLY. There NOT much power to be made at all with just a muffler swap. When you install an aftermarket muffler, be careful of unwanted cabin DRONE. Some systems drone really bad and that will make you hate your car.

If you want to tune your car and not have to go to a tuner consider this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-sale-now.html

I used Chuck to tune my car and the results were fantastic!

Bill
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

To answer your questions.
-There will be a power increase. It wont be dramatic, but it may be noticable.
-It should change your exhaust tone a bit. And they will probably sound great with those exhausts you are looking at without being excessively loud (like they are with LTs)
-Easy to install on your driveway with jackstands or ramps. Fair warning, the back bolt on the drivers side is a bit of a bear.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can expect to be out $500.

save up and get LT's.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
you can expect to be out $500.

save up and get LT's.
Vettegirl, please don't reply to my threads in the future. Your comments have been completely unhelpful. Thank you.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

i do not know what your problem is.

i did not say anything that would warrant that from you in this thread, or any other.

you need to get your panties out of the bunch they are in and move on to the real problem in your life, your attitude.

i will post to every thread you are in and if that is not alright, well too bad.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:56 PM
99alvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Pajak44
Vettegirl, please don't reply to my threads in the future. Your comments have been completely unhelpful. Thank you.
Kinda rude!! vette people are like family and honestly they are just trying to help you no offence but shortys won't give you that much like maybe 4-5 rwhp
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alvette
Kinda rude!! vette people are like family and honestly they are just trying to help you no offence but shortys won't give you that much like maybe 4-5 rwhp
Nope, kinda honest.

Others here including me think she's a waste of bandwidth.

One line responses that any person would either know already, or half correct answers that stink of the uninformed. Just blow past anything she has, nothing to see.

Besides, the girl looks like a dog.

She should get a clue, similar to O6ama.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to doug's header I do not have any experience but I have had a set of billy boat shorties for about 5 years. I bought them from a member here used for about 300 bucks With a G5X2 cam / Texas Speed Ported LS6 heads with stock intake and bottom end as well as stock cat back I get about 425 RWHP... I have been very impressed with my shorties but do believe If I did not get them used I would have not paid full price for new ones I would have got LT.... One thing nice about my shorties is it was quite easy install from the top.... Oh car is a 2002 Z06 ...

Last edited by RaleighSS; 10-30-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

to all you haters, whatever.....

Last edited by imavettegirl; 10-31-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:16 PM
MR.Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
to all you haters, whatever.....
I think you're hella cute.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Should go faster since your wallet just got lighter, do a search just spend the extra cash and get LT's unless you like throwing your money away.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a recent post on the forum with a link to shortie dyno tests.Seems the stock exhaust manifolds out performed most and were pretty much equal to the rest.I was also thinking of doing them,but after that changed my mind!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Pajak44
Advanced

Thanks to all for the very helpful tips/advice!

The Z06 was my first Vette purchase. I actually found and bought it from a forum member...(BWeber). I couldn't be happier with the entire transaction.

It's great to be able to ask a simple question like this one and get and get so many informed recommendations. I'm very excited to begin the mods, so you can count on many more threads from me.

I was able to cancel the shorty header order. What I am really looking for is a more aggressive sound. I'm going to start a new thread with opinions on the most cost effective way to get that sound, while keeping the cats (I'm in MD, so need to comply emission regs).

Again, thanks to all for the great help!

Josh

Get notified of new replies

To Doug's Shorty Headers...what to expect?

Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
BryanB75
Racer

Like everyone has said, shorty's will suck for any power gains. Long tubes are the way to go
Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
johnnytaboo
Racer

If you want to hear aggressive, I'm not too far from you and I've got Corsa Extreme mufflers coupled with LG streets and a catted x-pipe. We can meet up some time so you can hear what my exhaust sounds like and gauge how much louder or quieter you would prefer yours to be.

- John
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by johnnytaboo
If you want to hear aggressive, I'm not too far from you and I've got Corsa Extreme mufflers coupled with LG streets and a catted x-pipe. We can meet up some time so you can hear what my exhaust sounds like and gauge how much louder or quieter you would prefer yours to be.

- John
Thats what you need to do. Hear a LIVE demo.

BC

Quick Reply: Doug's Shorty Headers...what to expect?