C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you struggling with HVAC Climate Control Actuators even after indexing..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 AM
vaportech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you struggling with HVAC Climate Control Actuators even after indexing..

My passenger side climate control door was not moving so I went ahead to try and fix it. After a few hours of resetting HVAC codes while observing voltages sent to the actuator and the motor in the actuator while testing the actuator's electrical components, I came up with a fix for non-working actuators...DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A REPLACEMENT!!!

First try this:

http://vette.tnreeds.com/actuator/actuator.htm

Note: For passenger side, turn clockwise

If that does not work, which it didn't for me, follow these steps (My disclamer is the same as the one in the above link. Continue at your own risk):

You will need:
1) Electrical component cleaner
2) A spring from a mechanical pencil

Step 1) Carefully take the cover off the actuator by removing the 4 Phillips screws

Step 2) Mark the gears just like the above link recommends but do not worry about turning the other gears, we will re-calibrate it all in a minute.

Step 2) Take all the gears out (except the blue potentiometer gear...this one is permanently attached to its component)

Step 3) Slide the motor off the mount and pull wires (carefully) off the pins noting that white is negative - and red is positive +

Step 4) Turn the case upside down to let the circuit board drop out

Step 5) With the electrical component cleaner and straw inserted in the nozzle, spray a steady stream between the blue gear and the potentiometer it is mounted to (don't worry about turning it but make sure your component cleaner doesn't wipe your mark off). Spray from all angles into the gap. This is too remove gear grease that accumulates over time between the contacts.

Step 6) Remove the motor mount from the motor and spray the component cleaner inside the ports in the electrical motor while turning the worm gear with your finger

Step 7) Re-install the circuit board, motor (remember to reconnect the wires), and drive gear only.

Step 7) Using nail clippers or small wire cutters, clip the mechanical pencil spring about two coils in so that you have a really short spring.

Step 8) Slide your custom spring onto the potentiometer gear's shaft so that it sits on the blue gear. Over time, the contacts in the potentiometer wear down or get separated. This spring will keep pressure on the gear to fully engage the contacts.

Step 9) Leaving the rest of the gears out for now, tighten the cover back onto the actuator with the 4 screws and tighten the screws.

Step 10) If the drive gear cannot rotate or is really stiff, you need to shorten your spring by clipping more off.

Step 11) Re-assemble the rest of the gears. Ensure once more that your marks line up on the drive gear and blue gear.

Step 12) Plug the actuator into the wiring harness but do not install it.

Step 13) Connect your battery and clear all HVAC codes. Observe the motion of the actuator.

Step 14) Once the actuator is finished going through its cycle, place it as if you were about to slide it onto the climate control door's shaft but KEEP IT OFF THE SHAFT.

Step 15) Start your engine and put your AC on as cold as it blows and in the mode that points at your face.

Step 16) Reach your hand into the open vent and ensure that the limp door is firm against the stops just as opposite door it.

Step 17) With the actuator's mount holes lined up so that the angle of the actuator is the same as when it is mounted, observe the flats on the door's shaft. If the shaft's flats line up with the flats in the actuator, you can skip to Step 19. If they are not lined up, continue to the next step.

Step 18) You must take the actuator apart again and shift the drive gear's angle from the potentiometer gear's angle so that the door shaft is lined up properly in Step 17 Now, go back to Step 17.

Step 19) Re-mount the actuator and put the HVAC through both extremes while observing the climate control doors. Ensure that they are in sync (Make sure the dual climate **** is in the 12-oclock position).

Step 20) Disconnect the battery again for a few minutes and then restart your engine. Ensure the 'out of range' HVAC codes are clear

Good luck! If I need to explain something better, Please let me know!

Last edited by vaportech; 11-06-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 AM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

very cool... i need to do this during the winter.... my drivers side actuator has been acting up for a while....
Old 11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
vaportech
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommie
very cool... i need to do this during the winter.... my drivers side actuator has been acting up for a while....

Get notified of new replies

To For those of you struggling with HVAC Climate Control Actuators even after indexing..

Quick Reply: For those of you struggling with HVAC Climate Control Actuators even after indexing..