C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 no-start condition showing p0601 and p1518

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 no-start condition showing p0601 and p1518

Hey guys please help me. I am a longtime Mustang fan, but recently fell into possession of a '98 c5 automatic which I love. I know nothing about GM cars so I'm kinda lost. Here's my problem:

The car had a bad battery (wouldn't hold a charge) and my mom was borrowing it and kept driving it with the low battery. Finally one day she parked it and turned it off with no issues up to this point. It has since refused to start. It turns over fine but has no spark and will not start.

The IP was showing the following: reduced engine power, service traction control, service abs, service engine soon. I pulled the following current codes: PCM p0601, p1518 and TCS c1276. I also changed the battery hoping for an easy fix. No dice.

The p1518 code is a TAC module communication code and can be set by low battery voltage. The p0601 code is more troubling as it's a PCM memory fault code. Service manuals seem to say that once the p0601 code is thrown a new PCM is a must. I hope not.

I've seen others with this exact same problem but with no fix posted. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have checked most fuses related to the TAC and PCM with none blown and I also cleaned the contacts on the ignition switch. Any ideas? Also do these cars have a fuse box inside or just the one underhood?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

Also I believe the car has the column lock fix because I CAN turn the wheel without the key in the ignition but I can still hear the motor when I insert the key. I doubt this is a CL issue but who knows, it sounds like it can cause all kinds of issues
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

There are more fuses under the pass. side floor.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

Where under the carpet, or behind the kick panel or up under the dash by the glove box?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama5.0
Where under the carpet, or behind the kick panel or up under the dash by the glove box?
It's under the carpet on the passenger side near the tunnel where it starts to slope up. I'm not sure but I have heard that code is the kiss of death for the PCM. It is not terribly expensive IF you shop around.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

I think you are right about it being the kiss of death for the PCM. When looking at the service manual, it has only one course of action for that code: replace PCM. I can keep hoping though right? Thanks for the location of the inside fusebox. That really puzzled me.

I'm now wondering if I'm gonna need a custom tune after I replace the PCM (if that's what I have to do). I don't know much about the car other than what I can see. I know it has the VR intake, long-tubes, and corsa exhaust and I assume it's tuned bc the tranny shifts quite firm. Would these mods alone require a tune, or not? Anyone know?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

Also where is the PCM on these cars?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Bama5.0
6th Gear

Are you kidding?! Under the battery?! That seems like a dangerous place with about a quart of sulfuric acid sitting on top of it. I'm going to search for shorts and bad connections before I replace the PCM but if anyone on here has had the same problem please let me know what the fix was for your car. Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Bama5.0
Are you kidding?! Under the battery?! That seems like a dangerous place with about a quart of sulfuric acid sitting on top of it. I'm going to search for shorts and bad connections before I replace the PCM but if anyone on here has had the same problem please let me know what the fix was for your car. Thanks
I see you are new to the forum, so perhaps you are not familiar with the search function(located at the top right part of the page). It will yield results when looking of common issues.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...e-driving.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...help-asap.html

Get notified of new replies

To C5 no-start condition showing p0601 and p1518

Quick Reply: C5 no-start condition showing p0601 and p1518