C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02- which fuel tank runs out first

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02- which fuel tank runs out first

first my gauge is going crazy .then after about 100 miles i figured what the heck ill fill it up to see if the gauge will move .well i couldnt put any fuel in ...none . but the gauge says it is 3/4 full so now what ......im just about ready to pull out both tanks and just change everything ......but first im going to put a scanner on it ....but im still curious which tank goes dry first.and which tank actually sends the fuel foward to the engine.thank u very much.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

An electric high pressure fuel pump attaches to the fuel sender assembly inside the left fuel tank. The fuel pump pumps fuel to the fuel rail assembly at a specified flow and pressure. Excess fuel from the fuel pressure regulator, a part of the fuel filter, returns to the left fuel tank through the return pipe. The fuel pump delivers a constant flow of fuel to the engine even during low fuel conditions and aggressive vehicle maneuvers. The PCM controls the electric fuel pump operation through a fuel pump relay.

The left tank fuel pump also supplies a small amount of pressurized fuel to the right fuel tank siphon jet pump through the fuel feed rear crossover pipe. The pressurized fuel creates a venturi action inside the siphon jet pump. The venturi action causes the fuel to be drawn out of the right fuel tank. Fuel is then transferred from the right fuel tank to the left fuel tank through the fuel sender fuel feed pipe.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

thank u very much
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

yep its crazy --3/4 full and would not take any gas ........
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had this exact same issue....pumped gas til it clicked like 3-4 times.....got in car 3/4 full....thought i was doing something wrong cause i had just bought the car back then.

did several of the 20oz techron additive treatments and now all is well.....it did act up a time or two since with the dropping to zero but another techron treatment when it does as well as filling up with chevron ultimate and it is fine now.....goes to full when i fill up.....doesn't drop to zero out of no where. maybe in my head but my dropping to zero usually happens when i let it go til like under 1/4 tank, not sure if it is picking up more trash then or what

hope this helps
Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 PM
DB97
Heel & Toe

Default Does gauge affect fuel flow?

I just bought a '97 coupe in August and the seller alerted me to this problem. I started putting in the additive, but haven't driven enough miles to correct this. My gauge drops to zero only after about 25 miles of continuous driving.

My question is this ... can the electronics see this as a problem and cut off the fuel supply to the engine, even though there is enough fuel, or is it just a problem of the gauge readout? I also noticed that when the gauge goes to zero all related readouts on the DIC also drop out.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB97
I just bought a '97 coupe in August and the seller alerted me to this problem. I started putting in the additive, but haven't driven enough miles to correct this. My gauge drops to zero only after about 25 miles of continuous driving.

My question is this ... can the electronics see this as a problem and cut off the fuel supply to the engine, even though there is enough fuel, or is it just a problem of the gauge readout? I also noticed that when the gauge goes to zero all related readouts on the DIC also drop out.

Thanks!
that last part - "all related readouts on the DIC also drop out."
Sounds different. I've had the "fuel gauge" problem before (techron fixed it) but when my gauge read Empty the "check gauges" warning came up but all other readings/gauges remained constant.

Have you pulled your codes? If you have any, post 'em.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Eh, nothing to it!

(1.34mb download)

http://www.flaglercountycorvetteclub...%20Article.pdf
Old 11-26-2010, 02:57 PM
DB97
Heel & Toe

The only current codes are 1431, which is the Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance and probably came up the last time the gauge failed, and 1571.

The DIC functions that fail with the gauge are mileage range and instant mileage, so I'm guessing that these are fed by the same circuit that goes down with the gauge.

I can live with this as long as I know that the sensor problem doesn't cause an engine shut down. Kinda surprised that a fault like this didn't prompt a recall. I've never ever had a car with a gas gauge that suddenly drops out, but most have been Hondas or Acuras, and pretty much nothing ever goes wrong!

Appreciate the help! Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:09 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DB97, you can still drive it. You can also clear the codes while driving, and most times the guage comes back up.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:15 PM
DB97
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by byronhunter
DB97, you can still drive it. You can also clear the codes while driving, and most times the guage comes back up.
Thanks! Will try that the next time it happens.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 AM
glassman74
Racer

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Eh, nothing to it!

(1.34mb download)

http://www.flaglercountycorvetteclub...%20Article.pdf
Good reading. glassman74
Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If I understand the above correctly, the fuel should be pretty much emptied out of the right side tank when the gage reads about 1/2. Given the fuel fill is on the left tank and the cross over pipe connects the left and right tanks, why would the OP be unable to add "any" fuel when the gage reads about 3/4 full?? Shouldn't the fuel have flowed across the cross over and finished filling the right tank?????
The explanation basically told you that they keep the tanks as close to equal as possible. If they didn't it would really change the balance of the car as it was being driven. Maybe not noticeable on the street but would be a real PIA on a road course. Probably would screw things up at a drag strip as well.

Bill
Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Simple logic says the right tank must empty first or the pump would run dry. So, by extension, the jet pump must pump fuel out of the right tank faster than the engine uses it, meaning the jet pump is always attempting to pump the right tank empty. When both tanks are fairly full I expect the fuel is pumped to the left tank and then travels back through the crossover to the right tank. The right tank will then be sucked dry once about 1/2 of the fuel is used and fuel no longer flows back through the crossover tube to the right tank.

The filler dumps into the left tank and there is another hose about the size of the filler neck that allows fuel to flow over to the right tank. So, it doesn't matter which tank is empty since they will both fill at the station.

I do find it odd that the OP says he drove 100 miles and couldn't pump a drop of fuel into the car. The car should have taken at least 4 gallons of fuel by then, assuming he did mixed driving which is almost always <25mpg. There should have been room for a little over 3 gallons of fuel even if he drove all highway miles at 29mpg.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 11-28-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:22 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Default strange

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Simple logic says the right tank must empty first or the pump would run dry. So, by extension, the jet pump must pump fuel out of the right tank faster than the engine uses it, meaning the jet pump is always attempting to pump the right tank empty. When both tanks are fairly full I expect the fuel is pumped to the left tank and then travels back through the crossover to the right tank. The right tank will then be sucked dry once about 1/2 of the fuel is used and fuel no longer flows back through the crossover tube to the right tank.

The filler dumps into the left tank and there is another hose about the size of the filler neck that allows fuel to flow over to the right tank. So, it doesn't matter which tank is empty since they will both fill at the station.

I do find it odd that the OP says he drove 100 miles and couldn't pump a drop of fuel into the car. The car should have taken at least 4 gallons of fuel by then, assuming he did mixed driving which is almost always <25mpg. There should have been room for a little over 3 gallons of fuel even if he drove all highway miles at 29mpg.

Peter
thats why i was asking all these questions .i went in the neighborhood of 100 maybe 125 miles at best and could not put any fuel in ....it really wouldnt b a big deal just yank out the tanks and replace all or everything and b done with it .but ive had a cough from hell and dont want to push my luck getting out in the cold air ...2nd to that the car is gonna b in a parade friday night and i got to go back about 50 miles to get the car there .....i sure dont want to run out of gas cause im gonna let the girls dad drive the car .....but i think im ok because i should still have about 200 miles of gas still in it ....because i havnt driven it (trying to save the fuel thats in it )it couldnt have picked a better time to screw up ..oh well .ill just pray for a good outcome .thank u all very much for ur replies .and ill keep my fingers crossed ....and try one more time to fill er up .
Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM
seering
Racer

If it makes you feel any better.

We had a quicktrip locally that i tried 3 different pumps one morning that all acted like it was full .. couldn't add any gas at all.
I thought it was the pump .. maybe the pair at this spot ..
Ok apparently its all of them or the car.
Was one of those morning i just happened to look down and thing .. damn I dont want to walk

Drove across the street to the racetrack ... filled it up with no problems.

Moral of this story ... make sure you try a different station before you spend too much time on it.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
fxdl
Racer

Your fuel guage is just lying to you. Do the techron additive and it will probably clear up. Happened to me before and that fixed it. Don't be too quick to start tearing it apart.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
vet85
Burning Brakes

Default thank u

ok guys thanks for reading ill try another pump

Get notified of new replies

To 02- which fuel tank runs out first

Quick Reply: 02- which fuel tank runs out first