C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to LS6 intake swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
webelo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 to LS6 intake swap.

I need to relocate my oil pressure sending unit this winter, so I figured I'd swap out my LS1 intake to an LS6 intake. What do I need to make this happen? What horsepower gains am I looking at? Will I need a tune?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

In addtion to the manifold you will need a "coolant bypass kit"--avail from most corvette suppliers----Also--while you have the intake off it is a good idea to replace the LS1 valley cover to a LS6 valley cover--About $75---The LS1 cover PCV system is notorious for sucking oil up inyo your intake manifold---The LS6 one hepls to eliminate much of it--
Just look in the inside of your manifold with the throttle body off and you'll be shocked to see how contaminated it is with oil--

ALSO--Why are you re-locating the oil sending unit ?? and to where??
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Power depends on application. What else do you have done? But, probably 5-10hp.

I agree with the valley cover idea, I will be doing this soon. I shoulda done it when I installed the BBK intake.

Any dealership should have the newer water coolant parts. It's just two block-offs for the rear and a new cross-over for the front. You can also cut, crimp, and solder the original pieces, but not you might feel better about using the right parts.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by tblu92
IAlso--while you have the intake off it is a good idea to replace the LS1 valley cover to a LS6 valley cover--About $75---The LS1 cover PCV system is notorious for sucking oil up inyo your intake manifold---The LS6 one hepls to eliminate much of it--

ALSO--Why are you re-locating the oil sending unit ?? and to where??
Doesn't switching to the LS6 valley cover require some modifying of the block?

My oil pressure sending unit crapped out on me this year and I'm going to relocate it to just under the fuel rail covers following one of the posts on here.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be watching this one, I plan on the same mod in January. Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

YES Thks for the reminder---You have to cut-off or grind off a small piece of aluminum on the front corner of the pass side--It's really not a big deal or a big job -- I used a standard Dremmel tool --- most important thing and most time consuming was taping and masking the valley so no shavings would get into the Eng-------

Have you looked into your TB opening yet on your LS1 manifold ?? This will convince to do do it----LOL---

ALSO here is a great link on how to do both the intake manifold swap and the LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion---Lists all the GM part #'s you will need and has detailed photos on how to cut off the alum piece for the PCV valley swap
http://ls1howto.com

CLICK on photos for full screen view !!!!

Last edited by tblu92; 12-01-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

YES Thks for the reminder---You have to cut-off or grind off a small piece of aluminum on the front corner of the pass side--It's really not a big deal or a big job -- I used a standard Dremmel tool --- most important thing and most time consuming was taping and masking the valley so no shavings would get into the Eng-------

Have you looked into your TB opening yet on your LS1 manifold ?? This will convince to do do it----LOL---

ALSO here is a great link on how to do both the intake manifold swap and the LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion---Lists all the GM part #'s you will need and has detailed photos on how to cut off the alum piece for the PCV valley swap

Should I replace the two knock sensors while I am in there? Only 40K miles, but 11 years old.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by VET IT B
Should I replace the two knock sensors while I am in there? Only 40K miles, but 11 years old.
No, not really. They are solid-state devices and very robust. Seldom, if ever do they cause problems. If you just like spending the extra cash though, go for it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tblu92;1576081421]In addtion to the manifold you will need a "coolant bypass kit"--avail from most corvette suppliers----Also--while you have the intake off it is a good idea to replace the LS1 valley cover to a LS6 valley cover--About $75---The LS1 cover PCV system is notorious for sucking oil up inyo your intake manifold---The LS6 one hepls to eliminate much of it--
Just look in the inside of your manifold with the throttle body off and you'll be shocked to see how contaminated it is with oil--

Not that I'm saying don't buy the cover. But doesn't a catch can do the same job? I didn't know about the v-cover when I did my swap so I installed a catch can. Also I cut some of the ribs under the LS6 so I could keep my stock coolant pipes. Not to be cheap but I read somewhere that the #7 cyl over heated and the LS1 setup was a good system to have. Again I'm not sure which is better. Oh to answer one question I do know the correct answer to, you don't have to re-tune after the swap. G/L
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, it IS better to retune but you don't "have" to. I usually see a lean spike in A/F when swapping LS6 intakes on the older LS1 engines, and it needs a tiny bit of massaging to get in line.

With a tune, an LS6 intake is worth an easy 10-12rwhp over the LS1 intake. I've confirmed it on the dyno before. It's worth even more on a cammed engine.
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (07-05-2020)
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DamianZ
Yes, it IS better to retune but you don't "have" to. I usually see a lean spike in A/F when swapping LS6 intakes on the older LS1 engines, and it needs a tiny bit of massaging to get in line.

With a tune, an LS6 intake is worth an easy 10-12rwhp over the LS1 intake. I've confirmed it on the dyno before. It's worth even more on a cammed engine.
But that may not be the OP's only mod. So like myself I waited until I did all the mods I planned on before I had my tune. I agree if that's his only mod then a mail order tune would be the way to go. A dyno tune on a stock LS1 even w/an LS6 intake would be way over kill and for what a 10hp gain maybe??
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
The Wrench
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

while you're in there, check the gaskets for the knock sensors; I had one installed crooked from the factory, and the sensor had oil all around it.
Also, be sure to torque carefully and in the correct pattern.

One cool addition - I took out the two nasty little foam strips that keep dirt/water out from under the manifold, and found a big piece of identical foam in a home computer shipping box. Cut it to match the underside of the manifold. This has to help reduce heat soak a bit - at least as good as a throttle-body bypass or a hood seal - Ha.

DG
Old 12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
webelo
Racer

I haven't noticed that my LS1 burns oil and I really don't feel comfortable taking a dremel to my block... so I think I'm going to bypass this mod. I haven't checked my TB yet, but when I do and if I find oil, I'll consider a catch can.

Originally Posted by Jims79
But that may not be the OP's only mod. So like myself I waited until I did all the mods I planned on before I had my tune. I agree if that's his only mod then a mail order tune would be the way to go. A dyno tune on a stock LS1 even w/an LS6 intake would be way over kill and for what a 10hp gain maybe??
I do have a couple other mods (corsa exhaust and breathless intake) and I'm running the hypertech program. As it it is now, I think I'm running a bit on the lean side. I also get a little ping at low RPMs and under load (possibly because of hypertech? or a combination of mods?) Between the exhaust, CAI, and ls6 intake mani, I think it might be time for a tune.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

There have been issues with the early 97-99 knock sensors--When the go bad you will get horrible pinging all the time--Typically with mods you need to "de-sensitise" your knock sensors with a tune--Certain mods allow the sensors to pick up new strange noises and pull out timing---LT headers especailly
I agree a tune is not mandatory with a manifold swap--just drive 50 miles or so to let the fuel trims learn out however any C5 will benefit from a tune--and with the swap you can gain a few extra ponies with "fine tuning"--
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

There have been issues with the early 97-99 knock sensors--When the go bad you will get horrible pinging all the time--
Hmmm...that's interesting. If the knock sensor goes bad, or it senses pinging/knock(real or false), the PCM will pull timing. How exactly does a bad knock sensor CAUSE pinging?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:55 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Because when it fails---it will not remove any timing-----
It's kinda complicated
The knock sensors store data as a referance to remove timing--
Every time you fill up or put in over 10 gallons or so of fuel the stored data is re-set ---The stored data records "occurances of knock"--When the occurances on knock reach a certain point--the timing table swithes to the "low octane mode"---
( as a side note if you typically never fill up your tank--you may notice your car becoming lazy---Thats because you never re-set the Knock sensors to return to the "high octne table" )
A bad sensor will never build up data to remove normal signs of knock and is always on a newly re-set mode---With today's crappy gas the knock sensor system is great to keep your engine from pinging--Getting some KR is normal with todays gas--A good sensor will record these occurances on knock and remove timing accordingly with the stored data--- and reset at fill-up-( the data is actually recorded by your ECM and the sensor is just the tool by which it recieves it)
This is a laymans explanation---what actually happens is the ECM changes the parameters of the "listening" part of the sensors--changing the sensitivity ,filter settings and frequencies---
Old 12-03-2010, 02:04 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Check out the TPIS website, they did a bunch of test using different manifolds. I was surprized by how little gain they achieved and at the rpm that gain occurred.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 to LS6 intake swap.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by webelo
I haven't noticed that my LS1 burns oil and I really don't feel comfortable taking a dremel to my block... so I think I'm going to bypass this mod. I haven't checked my TB yet, but when I do and if I find oil, I'll consider a catch can.

I do have a couple other mods (corsa exhaust and breathless intake) and I'm running the hypertech program. As it it is now, I think I'm running a bit on the lean side. I also get a little ping at low RPMs and under load (possibly because of hypertech? or a combination of mods?) Between the exhaust, CAI, and ls6 intake mani, I think it might be time for a tune.
Sounds like you need one. ECS has a good mail order tune for under $200. They support this web site & did my street tune. Good guys. You should give them a call before you do anything else.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GT2BHPPY
Check out the TPIS website, they did a bunch of test using different manifolds. I was surprized by how little gain they achieved and at the rpm that gain occurred.
True. The gains are mostly in the high rpms over 5000.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts

Because when it fails---it will not remove any timing-----
It's kinda complicated
The knock sensors store data as a referance to remove timing--
Every time you fill up or put in over 10 gallons or so of fuel the stored data is re-set ---The stored data records "occurances of knock"--When the occurances on knock reach a certain point--the timing table swithes to the "low octane mode"---
( as a side note if you typically never fill up your tank--you may notice your car becoming lazy---Thats because you never re-set the Knock sensors to return to the "high octne table" )
A bad sensor will never build up data to remove normal signs of knock and is always on a newly re-set mode---With today's crappy gas the knock sensor system is great to keep your engine from pinging--Getting some KR is normal with todays gas--A good sensor will record these occurances on knock and remove timing accordingly with the stored data--- and reset at fill-up-( the data is actually recorded by your ECM and the sensor is just the tool by which it recieves it)
This is a laymans explanation---what actually happens is the ECM changes the parameters of the "listening" part of the sensors--changing the sensitivity ,filter settings and frequencies---
I don't see how the knock sensors "store data", as they are only piezo-electric, and read by the PCM. Based on my understanding, the knock sensors learn based on two things: bias voltage, and min/max noise. Since it monitors these functions, I don't see the correlation with filling up with 10+ gallons of gas, or low/high octane tables. I also don't see why the knock tables would reset, and have to learn the base min/max noise again, based on filling up with gas. If you can point me to where you obtained this information, it would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: LS1 to LS6 intake swap.