C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Procedure - C5 Rear Differential Fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Toque, great write up and photographs. Just a couple of suggestions. I replaced the crush washers when I did mine, the fluid had been changed under warranty because of the infamous leaking driver side seal. The mechanic I assume over tightened the plug and bent the washers into a heart shape and they proceeded to leak anytime the diff got hot. The crush washers were expensive from GM, somebody must make an alternative.

Second thing I did was to put the gear lube container in (I used Mobile One LS gear oil) a pan of very hot water. It sure made pumping a whole lot easier.

Well done and thanks for all your efforts.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:53 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
LOL! Same deal.. The drain is on the passengers side and fill port is on the drivers side. The FILL PORT is well labled.

Drain the trans, reinstall the plug. Open the fill port (C5 ZO6 will have a temp sensor in the fill port) and pump in the ATF till it flows out of the fill port.

I use a quality ATF. If you have a 97-2000 C5, use a NON Synthetic ATF. You can use AMSOIL Torque Drive AFT

If you have a 2001 C5, any synthetic or non synthetic can be used. I perfer synthetic ATF.

Bill
Bill. you're saying that you CAN use the Amsoil Torque Drive synthetic in the 97' transmissions???
Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
I still need to do the transmission. Was gonna grab the Torque-Drive fluid but decided to wait. I have a 97' 6speed. I remember last time I changed it, I was reading something about paper blockers??? Something about not using synthetics in these early MN6 trans?
The basestock in synthetics isn't all the same. If you read the sticky post at the top of this page, buried in there is a list that most recognize as "safe" for the early C5's with paper blocker rings. AMSOIL is on that list. I sell at lot of the Torque Drive to early C5 owner's and none has reported a problem to me. I use it in my 02 Z06 at the track as well.

P.S. Didn't see a response to the question about Dexron VI. Dexron VI is backwards compatible when used in an automatic application, but not in manuals. GM has a new part number for their manuals requiring the now superceded Dexron III specification: 88861800 (88861801 in Canada). Dexron VI is lower in viscosity than Dexron III. A lot of aftermarket fluids (like the Torque Drive) are still made to meet the superseded Dexron III spec.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BKH
Why not?
GM bulletin, here among other places: http://www.grandprixforums.net/websi...XRON(R)-VI.pdf
Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 AM
BKH
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
GM bulletin, here among other places: http://www.grandprixforums.net/websi...XRON(R)-VI.pdf
Originally Posted by C66 Racing
The basestock in synthetics isn't all the same. If you read the sticky post at the top of this page, buried in there is a list that most recognize as "safe" for the early C5's with paper blocker rings. AMSOIL is on that list. I sell at lot of the Torque Drive to early C5 owner's and none has reported a problem to me. I use it in my 02 Z06 at the track as well.

P.S. Didn't see a response to the question about Dexron VI. Dexron VI is backwards compatible when used in an automatic application, but not in manuals. GM has a new part number for their manuals requiring the now superceded Dexron III specification: 88861800 (88861801 in Canada). Dexron VI is lower in viscosity than Dexron III. A lot of aftermarket fluids (like the Torque Drive) are still made to meet the superseded Dexron III spec.
Good info, Thanks guys!
Just filled mine up yesterday with synthetic Dex VI....Guess it's coming right back out. At least its easy!
C66, PM sent for Amsoil info...
Old 11-27-2014, 12:02 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BKH
Good info, Thanks guys!
Just filled mine up yesterday with synthetic Dex VI....Guess it's coming right back out. At least its easy!
C66, PM sent for Amsoil info...
Responded and yep, I'd change it soon and be very easy on the tranny until then.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:05 PM
MAJ_Charlie
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Thanks for the help Charlie !

Toque
My pleasure. Just happened to see the thread when the other member asked about it and was on your website already so I just put it out there for him. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by MAJ_Charlie; 11-27-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jjaaam
If it's that simple then it makes me sick to think that the dealer wants to charge me $149.99...

You don't have to drop a pan or anything? Just two plugs for an entire trans fluid change?

I know I could do 90% of the stuff that you guys do...I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I'm just not a mechanic so I've never done it before.

Just looking at Toque's page on changing rotors...I never thought it would be as simple as pulling the wheel, two bolts for the caliper, take the rotor off, and repeat the process. I'm afraid that this realization is going to end up costing me a TON of money...........LOL......

That easy procedure is for MN6/MN12 Trans..

If you have an A4,,, THATS A WHOLE DIFFERENT PROCEDURE!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT_Charlie
Happy Thanksgiving.
You too ! Happy Thanksgiving !

Toque
Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 PM
sparcnz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys:

Finished this work last night. Wrote a procedure what I did.

My web page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aae8/webpage.html

Scroll down to the bottom and click on:
C5 Rear Differential Fluid change:

Went for a 90 mile cruise tonight, and it feels great !

Hope it can help someone out !
Toque
Hi Toque,
Maybe it's just me and my location, but your web site comes up with a message from Verizon that the page and been decommissioned and been deleted.
Is there another place where this info might be available?

Regards Kevin.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sparcnz
Hi Toque,
Maybe it's just me and my location, but your web site comes up with a message from Verizon that the page and been decommissioned and been deleted.
Is there another place where this info might be available?

Regards Kevin.
Kevin

Try my new site.

Www.ToqueZ06.com

Toque
Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Guys:

Finished this work last night. Wrote a procedure what I did.

My web page:
http://www.toquez06.com

Scroll down to the bottom and click on:
C5 Rear Differential Fluid change:

Went for a 90 mile cruise tonight, and it feels great !

Hope it can help someone out !
Toque
Great website. Thanks Mark.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
Great website. Thanks Mark.
Thanks Mike !

Quick Reply: DIY Procedure - C5 Rear Differential Fluid change.