C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does '08-up C6 manual really shift better than C5?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:27 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does '08-up C6 manual really shift better than C5?

For those of you who have driven both a C5 manual and a 2008-up C6 manual, is the shifting quality significantly better in the '08+ C6? I've only been able to locate a couple people locally who could speak to this topic and got completely different opinions.

The car magazines that tested the '08 cars said the shifting was better but didn't go into details. With C5 shifting so abysmally bad, there was sure room for improvement.

Now I'm not talking about just the shifter, which many C5 owners have changed to C6. I've sampled a C5 so altered, and in my opinion it didn't help shifting at all ('tho the C6 **** is certainly an improvement).
In fact, with the shorter shift lever after the change giving less mechanical advantage, I thought that the shifting was heavier, harder and worse.

To really help the C5's miserable shifting, it needed more than just a shifter change and I'm trying to find out if that was done for the '08-up cars. Maybe some internal improvements in the trans? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Go drive one.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Shifter

Originally Posted by rboineau
For those of you who have driven both a C5 manual and a 2008-up C6 manual, is the shifting quality significantly better in the '08+ C6? I've only been able to locate a couple people locally who could speak to this topic and got completely different opinions.

The car magazines that tested the '08 cars said the shifting was better but didn't go into details. With C5 shifting so abysmally bad, there was sure room for improvement.

Now I'm not talking about just the shifter, which many C5 owners have changed to C6. I've sampled a C5 so altered, and in my opinion it didn't help shifting at all ('tho the C6 **** is certainly an improvement).
In fact, with the shorter shift lever after the change giving less mechanical advantage, I thought that the shifting was heavier, harder and worse.

To really help the C5's miserable shifting, it needed more than just a shifter change and I'm trying to find out if that was done for the '08-up cars. Maybe some internal improvements in the trans? Thanks.
I had a 08 and have had 4 C5's. The 08 did shift a bit better but in my opinion, not much. The 03 Z06 that I now have was ****ing like all my other C5's. I replaced the shifter with a MGW and it is about 40 percent better. I still don't like it but it is one of the things that you live with. I also drove a BMW Z4 and it was as smooth as butter!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The transmission in the 08s and newer cars is much improved but I need to preface my experience with the 08 transmission with some of my experience with the C5 transmission. I shift by placing my hand on top of the shifter. Neither of my C5s which I owned for 6 years each ever gave me a problem when shifting. Both the 97 and the 03Z had longer throws but could be shifted by using the fingers and the heel of the hand. I tried an aftermarket shifter on the 03 and after a year I went back to stock as the aftermarket thing had too much centering force that made it difficult to shift from third to second or from fourth to fifth and downright hard to get into reverse. You can bang shifts all day if you use the C5 correctly.

The 08 transmission has internal changes and the shift effort has been reduced considerably so GM was able to use a shorter shifter arm. When shifting my 08Z I can shift from first to second using just 2 fingers instead of 4 and the movement is less. Shifting to from second to third or fourth to fifth is still just a push with the heel of the hand. With the reduced motion and reduced shift effort in the 08 I can shift the car easily with barely any arm movement compared to the C5s. Just basically moving my hand back and forth with some wrist movement.

If you are a person who grabs the shifter in your hand and tries to aim it into the gates then you may benefit from an aftermarket shifter that has springs to override your strength.

Bill
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tested a 2010 C6 GS and my answer is absolutely yes! that C6 shifted so beautifully compared to the horrible shifting feel of the C5 it was amazing. the clutch was tremendously easier to push down as well. I wish I knew what it would take to make a C5 shift like that because they still look better, but that C6's shifting action was nothing short of amazing after driving a C5 for years.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no.

my 2001 Z06 with b&m shifter shifts just fine.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 806 Likes on 532 Posts

i just installed the RSD Snap shifter in my 2000 & it's a world better. it's basically a 09/10 Z06 shift assembly with a shortened & angled stick, so it's not exactly like a factory one, but it's a lot smoother
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 99 and an 07, both 6 speeds.

In my opinion, the 07 shifts better than the 99.

Quite a bit smoother, and just "feels" better, more refined.

The C6 shifter **** is nicer than the C5-I am going to put a C6 shifter into my C5 in the spring.

I know it still won't shift like a C6, but at least the **** will feel better in my hand.

Just my opinion, others may disagree.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

What are you talking about. The C5 shifter is GREAT!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
What are you talking about. The C5 shifter is GREAT!
If you say so
Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my '99 I simply cut off the barrel, with the rubber inside, and welded the top to the shifter and it made a world of difference. I've even had a shop owner ask me what shifter I had cause he thought it worked so well. The rubber in there just destroys the whole feel. It's an easy modification to do.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Which is why many people (myself included) add a spacer to the trans detent bolt after installing a short throw shifter. It makes the shifting much easier. If this is news to you, do a search for "detent bolt" or "anti venom".
Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C5 shifter is just fine if you take your time and shift with patiences and shift before you let up the clutch THE C6 is not better . you just need to know your shifter . What you feel is better is thats its shorter and leads you to belive it's better with the anti venom mod you'll get the same feel with a RSD snap shifter.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I drove a 2009 Z06....There was no difference.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

The 2 transmissions are different in that they use different synchronizer keys. The 97-07 T56's use the stamped steel (except fopr 1-2) keys. When you have it out and move it with your hands, it takes quite a bit of effort to move the synchro ring. Now the TR6060 (08 and up) has a plastic key with a built in check ball that takes almost no effort to move back and forth.

I have built both transmissions and driven them so I do have first hand experience with them. Without a doubt, the C6 with TR6060 is better shifting transmission.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thank you gentlemen who took the time to post in response to my question about shifting.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thank you gentlemen who took the time to post in response to my question about shifting.

all the posts were about a discussion of what you asked.

chill out.

Get notified of new replies

To Does '08-up C6 manual really shift better than C5?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:17 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 806 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
all the posts were about a discussion of what you asked.

chill out.
what?! it just looks like a simple thank-you to the people who answered his question.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Weezle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a Hurst Billet for your C5, best mod I've done so far...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Jazzkat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed C6 shifter and filled with Amsoil ATD and I think it made a significant difference. It is not as smooth as my M3 was (flamesuit on) but I think it is a comfortable shift. As previously mentioned, the C6 **** is very nice.

Can't comment on C6 action.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does '08-up C6 manual really shift better than C5?