C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average cost of labor for H/C vs Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Average cost of labor for H/C vs Cam

I am getting ready to hopefully install a cam in the next month or two, finally! but the car has stock 99 heads, 853's, just curious if I should shop around and find a set of stock 243's or decent heads between now and then, but I need to know what the average labor charge is for a cam vs H/C, I already know about the what the cost will be for the many different heads out there but I am on a budget so cant run out and buy set of worked trickflows for 2500$. Any info or experience with this please let me know, Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont put stock 243's on. You will gain some power, but the time/money it takes to do the swap isnt worth the gains if you ask me. Have you thought of doing the swap yourself? Its really not hard to do.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

I have thought about it, but dont trust myself, I have heard its easier thanI think but still worried about jacking something up
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by evo2ls1
I have thought about it, but dont trust myself, I have heard its easier thanI think but still worried about jacking something up
Just did a cam swap, springs etc. Several CF Members did 90% of the labor for pizza and beer, (for life). In a pinch I think I could do it now that I have seen it done! XSPOWER let us use his lift/tools, he and C6 Batmobile and Leprkon were the main wrenchers!

They let me "help" with some other mods,,,mostly suspension stuff!

Rotors, pads, metal end links, shocks!

When I get ready for heads and intake, I will spend the money for the high flow parts. Just the cam I now have with a VRB2, Dynatech LT headers and Corsa Catback is just amazing. No way am I going to go cheap on heads and intake manifold when the time comes,,,,,no hurry though!

Last edited by Silverbullet00; 01-04-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:46 AM
C.Davis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was having a shop do the work, and considering heads at all, I'd do it all at the same time.
It will be considerably cheaper to do it while doing the cam swap, plus you won't need to get it retuned.

You dont NEED to spend $2500 to get some nice HP.. If your staing N/A, bump up compression about half a point with these 5.3's that flow good...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=40
Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shop prices vary greatly but expect between $800 -$1200 labor.

In addition to the heads, cam and valve springs you also have to factor in the cost of: timing chain & gears, oil pump, front seal & gasket, head gaskets and fluids.

From a value cylinder head perspective a set of CNC 243's run anywhere from $550 (CNC only) to $1075 (CNC, Milled, Serdi Valve Job, and stainless steel valves)
add to that the core cost. Heads like this will flow over 300 CFM (on a 3.900 bore) and easily support 450-475 RWHP.

Good luck

Originally Posted by evo2ls1
I am getting ready to hopefully install a cam in the next month or two, finally! but the car has stock 99 heads, 853's, just curious if I should shop around and find a set of stock 243's or decent heads between now and then, but I need to know what the average labor charge is for a cam vs H/C, I already know about the what the cost will be for the many different heads out there but I am on a budget so cant run out and buy set of worked trickflows for 2500$. Any info or experience with this please let me know, Thanks

Last edited by C_Williams@RPM; 01-05-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
Dont put stock 243's on. You will gain some power, but the time/money it takes to do the swap isnt worth the gains if you ask me. Have you thought of doing the swap yourself? Its really not hard to do.
Depends on your goals. I am a big fan of 243s as if you go to a bigger motor you can sell the 243 for about what you have in them and get a solid gain. I don't agree with spending $1k more on some aftermarket heads that maybe undersized for a stroker build but my plan was always to go big (402+).

I do agree, look into doing the job yourself, swapping the heads is the easy part of a H&C job.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you haven't done any major projects on your car, you might want to leave the cam swap to a shop. You really have to get things right, or you can mess things up big time.
The steering rack is a MAJOR PITA, (at least for me) and if you just happen to pinch the oil pump o-ring (really easy to do) you can starve the engine, and that's not good.
The heads, on the other hand, are a much easier job. I did both mine and my wife's cam, then went back (am about to install heads on my wife's car) for the heads.
I have a buddy in Atlanta that does C5 cam swaps for about $500. Does great job too
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
Shop prices vary greatly but expect between $800 -$1200 labor.

In addition to the heads, cam and valve springs you also have to factor in the cost of: timing chain & gears, oil pump, front seal & gasket, head gaskets and fluids.

From a value cylinder head perspective a set of CNC 243's run anywhere from $550 (CNC only) to $1075 (CNC, Milled, Serdi Valve Job, and stainless steel valves)
add to that the core cost. Heads like this will flow over 300 CFM (on a 3.900 bore) and easily support 450-475 RWHP.

Good luck
Yea I figured in the cost of the other parts, U/D pulley, belts, gaskets, oil pump, fluids ect, I have researched the 243's and found they flow really well. Which is why I am worried my stock 853 heads will starve a cam setup so I dont want to be dissappointed with a cam only if I can throw on a set of decent heads that will flow a little better. So I just wasnt sure the labor only difference in cost between a cam and H/C , looks like roughly 1000 for the decent heads.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
evo2ls1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
If you haven't done any major projects on your car, you might want to leave the cam swap to a shop. You really have to get things right, or you can mess things up big time.
The steering rack is a MAJOR PITA, (at least for me) and if you just happen to pinch the oil pump o-ring (really easy to do) you can starve the engine, and that's not good.
The heads, on the other hand, are a much easier job. I did both mine and my wife's cam, then went back (am about to install heads on my wife's car) for the heads.
I have a buddy in Atlanta that does C5 cam swaps for about $500. Does great job too
Yea that is kind of what I am afraid of, hate to blow a motor
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
firefighter813x
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.Davis
If I was having a shop do the work, and considering heads at all, I'd do it all at the same time.
It will be considerably cheaper to do it while doing the cam swap, plus you won't need to get it retuned.

You dont NEED to spend $2500 to get some nice HP.. If your staing N/A, bump up compression about half a point with these 5.3's that flow good...

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=84&catid=40
I'd stick with the LS6 if you're going for a stock ported casting. You can mill the LS6's for added compression and or add a commetic gasket. There's a reason the Corvette's/GTO's, Silverado's, etc have LS6 heads.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
chevylad
Pro

I didn't think a head cam swap was bad, but it does take a while. I bought mines as a set from TSP so the heads were already prepped with springs. Check their website out. They sell a ported set of 243's or a ported truck head (5.3). Good folks to work with.

If you are on a budget it really pays to be able to do as much as you can. Not much in the way of specialty tools, gear puller and a big socket for the harmonic balancer bolt.

I would do a bit more research on the forum. There is enough here on this site to get through it or links to other sites to get a whole write up.

Two areas I would do searches on are the oil pump/oil pressure and the harmonic balancer. BTW, I would not use a monkey wrench to hold the balancer in place when you install it. I think that's what screwed mines up. I went back and pulled the headers off and mounted the exhaust bracket sideways to the flywheel to hold the engine in place.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
0Chris@HPS
Former Vendor

HPS is only a few hrs from you. Our Cam only Kit consist of the following:

Comp Cam-your choice
Comp Cam Pushrods
New Valve Springs
New Timing cover Gasket
New Front Cover Seal
New GM Crank Bolt
New Timing Chain