C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRC - Z06 trunk lid

Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Default FRC - Z06 trunk lid

Should the trunk lid on the hardtop cars pop up when released? Mine releases but does not come up enough to get my fingers under the edge to lift it up. The lift assist cylinders will hold the lid up no problem after I get my hand under the edge. Are the cylinders supposed to have enough strength to pop the lid or maybe the latch itself should accomplish this??
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Mine pops up perhaps 1/4" and I just raise it from there...Seems as though vendors once sold assist kits, but don't know if they are still available....GL
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Read through this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-on-coupe.html

You can DIY it with a spring and a rubber cap for about $3.00
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bought my Z new. Trunk wouldn't pop up high enough to get a finger under.
Dealer never fixed the problem.

Here is what I did all most 9 yrs ago & still working properly & cost less than a dollar.

Take a spring, like the kind that is on the top of your storm door.(about 4" long. 1/2" dia.) It's a heavy duty spring.

Cut it in half & paint both pieces black
Undo both shocks @ the bottom mounts.

Slide a spring onto ea shock.
Re attach bottom of ea shock & your done.
You'll never have that anoying problem again.

Good luck.

Last edited by bumble-z; 01-13-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys, I think I will try the spring at the bottom of the lifts. I think I would rather have springs there than at the latch. We'll see.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 AM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

My 01Z only pops up about 1/4"Just enough to get a couple of fingers underneath and pull it up.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Cratecruncher
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f6john
Should the trunk lid on the hardtop cars pop up when released? Mine releases but does not come up enough to get my fingers under the edge to lift it up. The lift assist cylinders will hold the lid up no problem after I get my hand under the edge. Are the cylinders supposed to have enough strength to pop the lid or maybe the latch itself should accomplish this??
There is a torsion spring built into the latch that is supposed to pop the lid up 1/2 proud of the deck when you release it. The last loop of the spring extends straight out across the strike area and thats what pushes the lid up when you release the latch. Over time it can get out of adjustment, rust up, bend or even break. I managed to get mine working properly but I had to take the latch off and refit the torsion spring. Mine had wandered about 1/4" to the right of where it was supposed to be. Lid pops up great now with no add-ons but some folks haven't gotten theirs to work no matter what they do.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Dudeiwin86
Advanced

after pushing the trunk button,
close the drivers door (with passenger door also close) and windows up..
the pressure inside the car will pop the trunk the rest of the way up.

not the best fix.. but it works, and ive made it habit if i need to get into the trunk after exiting the car.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher
There is a torsion spring built into the latch that is supposed to pop the lid up 1/2 proud of the deck when you release it. The last loop of the spring extends straight out across the strike area and thats what pushes the lid up when you release the latch. Over time it can get out of adjustment, rust up, bend or even break. I managed to get mine working properly but I had to take the latch off and refit the torsion spring. Mine had wandered about 1/4" to the right of where it was supposed to be. Lid pops up great now with no add-ons but some folks haven't gotten theirs to work no matter what they do.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't someone on the forum sell a kit for this? I thinks it's really cheap. Still cost more than doing it yourself but it save time hunting for the correct spring etc.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudeiwin86
after pushing the trunk button,
close the drivers door (with passenger door also close) and windows up..
the pressure inside the car will pop the trunk the rest of the way up.

not the best fix.. but it works, and ive made it habit if i need to get into the trunk after exiting the car.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I tried lubricating, adjusting and closing the doors for quite a few years. Eventually I gave up and made up a trunk popper. here's how I did it. It's not the prettiest mod but its simple and works.

Trunk Popper for a Vert or Z06

This is an easy mod but for those of you who prefer to buy the ready made item it sells for a very reasonable price of $15.95 from one of the Forum vendors. Unfortunately the vendor doesn’t ship overseas so I needed a DIY version:

http://www.c5trunkpopper.com/

If you want to try yourself, pick up a 7/8” compression spring from Home Depot. They retail at $3.98 for a pack of 4 springs, 2 large and 2 small. You’ll also need an end cap of the same diameter. I used a 7/8” rubber stopper ($1.76). The advantage is that it acts as a soft buffer and can be trimmed to fit.

Cut the large spring to a length of 2”. The springs are quite strong so it takes a bit of elbow grease to cut it. Tighten the radius at the cut end of the spring to give a hole to fasten the screw through.

Undo the T30 torx screw on the right hand side of the closure plate. Insert the torx screw down the barrel of the spring and retighten it in place.

Slot the bung in place. You can trim the bung to get whatever fit you prefer. With it as shown it takes a good push to close the trunk. Trimming the bung will make it easier to close..

It took 10 minutes and all the lubrication and fiddling with the lock are a thing of the past.

Get notified of new replies

To FRC - Z06 trunk lid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRC - Z06 trunk lid