C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's owned a C5 and an S2000?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999_TRC
Sorry, any guy that drives a Miata, should have his "man card" revoked......just sayin.
I'll defend that car to the grave. Have you ever actually driven one? If not, then you're obviously ignorant and your opinion doesn't matter. I challenge you to find another car whose transmission, clutch, and shifter works as seamlessly from the factory. And if you can, I suspect it's at least three times the price. Add to that the fact that it has front and rear independent suspension, rear wheel drive, limited slip diff, optional power steering delete, and a good power/weight ratio (only weighs ~2400 lb), and you can't deny that it's a true sports car.

PM me if you need any further info; this thread isn't the proper place for continuing this conversation.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999_TRC
Sorry, any guy that drives a Miata, should have his "man card" revoked......just sayin.

very funny.

i would not own one either and i have driven them.

just 323s in disguise.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
Yeah the Sky is much better
which part was better. The fact that is slower in every way or one of the most ridiculous convertible tops put on a car. Maybe one day youll drive a car instead of riding in it.

As far as s2000 vs vette. Corvettes stand no chance in any corner and an s2000 has no chance on any straight away. That being said im selling my s2000 to buy a 03-04 z06.

not me but a friend of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Y12ig6v2U
Old 01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
I'll defend that car to the grave. Have you ever actually driven one? If not, then you're obviously ignorant and your opinion doesn't matter. I challenge you to find another car whose transmission, clutch, and shifter works as seamlessly from the factory. And if you can, I suspect it's at least three times the price. Add to that the fact that it has front and rear independent suspension, rear wheel drive, limited slip diff, optional power steering delete, and a good power/weight ratio (only weighs ~2400 lb), and you can't deny that it's a true sports car.

PM me if you need any further info; this thread isn't the proper place for continuing this conversation.
A girl I dated had one.....drove it for a day once. After driving the car, I got myself a pedicure, manicure, and rented "Steel Magnolias".
Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a contemporary of it, the Mazda Rx8. I went from a procharged 98 C5 to the rx8(long story). It was fine at first, but after a while I really, REALLY missed the power. I ended up putting a huge turbo on it and made more power than a Z06....but it still felt gutless unless I was running up to the 9500rpm redline. I ended up in another vette. Once you've had the handling balance and torque of a vette.....nothing else will do.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:23 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969
A girl I dated had one.....drove it for a day once. After driving the car, I got myself a pedicure, manicure, and rented "Steel Magnolias".
Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonZ06
i shall agree to disagree. S2K's are driver's cars and true sports cars. Sky's and Miata's are secretaries cars. they admittedly will make better DD's than the S2K's. much more "plush" and forgiving.

saturn
A friend. Of nine has the S2k and. We both agree that my NA Sky is better. Faster handles much better. The redline is even faster. Sorry you are just wrong. Must not have driven a Sky or Sol enough to know. The Sky drives like a slow Vette.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:30 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigdy
which part was better. The fact that is slower in every way or one of the most ridiculous convertible tops put on a car. Maybe one day youll drive a car instead of riding in it.
Seriously the Sky/Solstice is an absolute turd. Gotta love the way the top doesn't actually conform to the body.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SimonZ06
Miata's... make better DD's than the S2K's. much more "plush" and forgiving.
If you're talking about the 1st or 2nd gen Miata then you're insane. Maybe current gen though, haven't driven one yet.

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
[Miatas are] just 323s in disguise.
This makes absolutely no sense. They have a different chassis and one is fwd, the other rwd.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:02 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Seriously the Sky/Solstice is an absolute turd. Gotta love the way the top doesn't actually conform to the body.
Now that is a just a little too harsh. I will give them that the gxp/redline can handle as good if not better then the s2000.

And to the OP your thread is basically screwed. It is now a miata-vs-kappa-vs-s2k thread

If you want a weekend not looking for frills or comfort more hardcore car get a s2k, if you are not a worried about speed and want something cheaper with great handling get a miata. If you want a squishier cruiser get a sky/solstice.

Last edited by AngryTurtle; 01-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
slimsol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
freeman4ever
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owned a 2004 S2K for a number of years.
  1. Yes, there is very little torque, but that is the only real drawback to that car, as I see it;
  2. The original S2K motor, the F20C, won the International Engine of the Year award in the "1.8 to 2 liter" size category for five years from 2000 through 2004;
  3. There are few modifications you can perform to an S2K that actually produce more power AND keep Honda's legendary reliability, if any;
  4. The transmission on these cars is superb, period - it makes the T56 in the Z feel like a turd - while you cannot dispute the strength of the T56, the 6-speed in the S2K is abso-f*cking-lutely phenomenal!;
  5. The handling is incredible, period. Watch the prototype S2K lap the Nurburgring: http://tinyurl.com/4fz3eo2;
  6. For those that mentioned not liking the way the car sounded at high-rpm's:
    Post#6: The sound the engine makes is not particularly appealing and sounds more like your typical run of the mill Civic.
    Wow, just...wow. When you hear that motor reving up at 8-9k, it is an aural orgasm. If that high reving NA motor doesn't tickle your naughty spot, better get checked out. No stock civic, Si or otherwise, sounds like an S at/near redline (Integra Type R, maybe); and
  7. The only reason I sold the S, was my need for more torque, period. Otherwise, I'd still be driving one.
No offense to anyone, just my $.02.

Last edited by freeman4ever; 01-24-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Deleting one asterisk...I can't spell f*cking correctly! <-- loser
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

This makes absolutely no sense. They have a different chassis and one is fwd, the other rwd.
The Mazda B-series engine is a small-sized, iron-block, inline four cylinder with belt-driven SOHC and DOHC valvetrain ranging in displacement from 1.1L to 1.8L. It was used from front-wheel drive economy applications to the turbocharged full-time 4WD 323 GTX and rear-wheel drive Miata as well as numerous other models.

like i said, miata is a thinly disguised 323.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
The Mazda B-series engine is a small-sized, iron-block, inline four cylinder with belt-driven SOHC and DOHC valvetrain ranging in displacement from 1.1L to 1.8L. It was used from front-wheel drive economy applications to the turbocharged full-time 4WD 323 GTX and rear-wheel drive Miata as well as numerous other models.

like i said, miata is a thinly disguised 323.
If you're going to use that flimsy logic then there are an awful lot of Corvettes driving around with badges that say Camaro, Cadillac, GTO, etc, not to mention pickup trucks and Porsches with LSx swaps.

Every car manufacturer with a full line of automobiles uses engine blocks for multiple applications. That doesn't necessarily mean the cars have many similarities beyond this.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:01 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

whatever.

you asked for proof and i gave it to you.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman4ever
For those that mentioned not liking the way the car sounded at high-rpm's: Wow, just...wow. When you hear that motor reving up at 8-9k, it is an aural orgasm. If that high reving NA motor doesn't tickle your naughty spot, better get checked out. No stock civic, Si or otherwise, sounds like an S at/near redline (Integra Type R, maybe); and
Seriously? That is the one thing I hated the most about this car was the engine sound at high rpm. Sure, it sounded nice...........if you were driving a crotch rocket motorcycle. But in a car, no thank you. I guess, it's a question of personal taste when it comes to how an engine should sound. I just don't like the high revving shrill sound that these engines make. Sounds too ricer for my taste. I prefer the sound of a high performance american V8 and remember, torque is king. You do agree with me or you would've kept the S2000.......
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM
freeman4ever
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cybermind
...torque is king. You do agree with me or you would've kept the S2000.......
Well, torque is VERY important, but not "king" necessarily (in my book). The S2K is a drivers car, just as the vette is. Its [read S2K] just a different experience, not better, not worse, just different.

When I used to roadrace "crotch-rockets," as you call them, I could do 1:03 around our local track on the GSX-R 750 chassis with 1100 motor bored out to 1116 (or near that - it was a long time ago ). I could do the same lap in :57 with a stock 600cc R6. Yes they are two different bikes, but while the GSX-R had gobs of torque - the R6 was a well-balanced bike that just plain allowed you to go faster (with MUCH less torque).

Bottom line, they are two VERY different cars that offer AWESOME, but unique, driving experiences. If I could own both, I would, but as of this writing, the vette is the best compromise between handling, torque, horsepower, braking (well...sorta), comfort, and fuel-economy (oddly enough) of all the [sports] cars I've owned.

...and, once I fix the broken valve spring, find the source of my P0410 code, find the source of my active-handling/abs issue, and prevent my clutch from sticking to the floor, I'll probably be pretty darn happy with this piece of...American pie.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's owned a C5 and an S2000?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by freeman4ever
[*]For those that mentioned not liking the way the car sounded at high-rpm's: Wow, just...wow. When you hear that motor reving up at 8-9k, it is an aural orgasm. If that high reving NA motor doesn't tickle your naughty spot, better get checked out. :
FYI your on a corvette forum. Most people with v8's are not going to enjoy a small 4cyl at 8-9k rpms. Just one of those opinion things that people are not gonna agree on.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gigdy
FYI your on a corvette forum. Most people with v8's are not going to enjoy a small 4cyl at 8-9k rpms. Just one of those opinion things that people are not gonna agree on.
You speak the truth. One of the reasons I wanted to hear from someone who's owned both.

I guess this could be a project if I decided to get one and the low end torque was an issue.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoganR
It's not a choice between the two...looking to add fun to the garage.

Will google search now though. Thanks
I should have read your original post a little more in depth..

Quick Reply: Who's owned a C5 and an S2000?