C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T output shaft seal change

Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
321fire
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/T output shaft seal change

can you change the 4L60E rear output shaft seal by lowering the drivetrain a couple inches and removing the differential vs dropping the entire drive train aft of the engine? C5 with 110K miles.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you can replace the seal w/out removing the trans or frontwards of the trans.

However you will have to drop the driveline alot more than 2", to remove the differential & cradle first.

In lowering these units, please do alot of research before attempting.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM
321fire
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 3-book manuals, but everything i read references dropping the whole banana. Also, mentions to keep from damaging the parts between the engine and firewall. Just leary about damaging something in the driveline. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
simman22
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this is ancient but I came across it and wanted to update it for anyone looking in the future like myself. I did it today and it is absolutely doable, but you are only saving about 15-20 mins worth of work and maybe a little mess. As stated, you have to drop it down further to fully clear the trans output shaft and if the “diff seal retainer plate” is in the diff still, then you will likely bend the seal itself (not a big deal if like me you were replacing both anyways but just a heads up).

Get notified of new replies

To A/T output shaft seal change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/T output shaft seal change