C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side window stuck halfway down!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM
topkart43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side window stuck halfway down!

Yesturday my driver side window got stuck halfway down. I took the door panel off and reconnected the window switch and it rolled up and down just fine. The motor did tend to make a weird sound as I was rolling it up. So I put the door panel back on and then today I went to roll my window down and now its stuck in the halfway up position. I took the door panel off again today and nothing. I can hear the click noise when I push the roll down button. I took the speakers off and tried tapping the window motor and nothing all I hear is the click noise. I don't know if I have a bad connection somewhere or if my motor is going out. I was wondering how hard it is to replace the motor or anything else that I might need to replace? The passenger window and door locks all work fine off the driver side switch.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your motor/regulator is more than likely done.

I'd just order a new one or start looking in the F.S. section/ebay
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
topkart43
Instructor

Is there a write up on how to replace the motor?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 PM
topkart43
Instructor

ttt
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Cratecruncher
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you heard the "weird noise" it was the sound of the cable tangling up on the spool inside the motor case. It happens when the white plastic spring guide breaks and allows slack in the cable. The reason it no longer goes up all the way is because the cable is now caught in the spool by another loop. I agree with 00Corvette. You need to replace the entire regulator assembly. Currently, there is no way to rebuild them. The good news is that its not that hard to replace and new units are still easy to locate.

Check the FSM for r&r instructions. It's good.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers side window stuck halfway down!

Quick Reply: Drivers side window stuck halfway down!