C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"CHARGE SYSTEM FAULT"

Old 02-21-2003, 06:16 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Default "CHARGE SYSTEM FAULT"

I have had this message on and off since I acquired the car. It does not come on everyday, it comes on when it wants.
Have had the altnator replaced. Battery is strong.
The message flashes across the DIC as soon as the car is stated and then it goes away. NO CODES are present.
Two dealer have tried to fix this problem several times. (No Luck)
Has anyone else had this message :U
Old 02-21-2003, 07:21 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default Re: "CHARGE SYSTEM FAULT" (yellowvette837)

Had it happen once or twice right after start up..think perhaps at that very instant the engine "stumbles" and the alternator isn't putting out enough volts so it throws the code. If you shut it down and restart it probably won't occur again. No big deal....just some shizzit that happens. :steering: :seeya
Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 AM
1999 White C5 Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yellowvette837,

I too received repeated "Charge System Fault" messages on the DIC of my 1999 C5 coupe when starting the engine (purchased new - built 8/98). The dealer was stumped and after several visits, telephoned Chevrolet Technical Assistance.

The technican was instructed to check several ground locations on and near the starter (below the battery tray). He found several ground locations with nuts loose on the studs, with corrosion present. He cleaned the studs and ground terminals, and tightened the nuts. That eliminated the messages.

The technican stated that Technical Assistance immediately knew what the problem was and he suspected that it was a "poor assembly" problem since the nuts were loose and Technical Assistance was familiar with the problem.

Just for your information - good luck.

PS - Later, my original Delco battery leaked acid from the positive terminal and caused damage below (also fixed under the new car warranty). When the acid leaked, I did not get the "Charge System Fault" message, but the engine cranked slow. You still may want to check the ground locations.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 PM
Ketch2631
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had that problem with my 99 but it only happened during the summer heat. I had the dealer check it out and he couldn't find anything wrong. It has done it maybe three time in the last year but nothing bad has ever happened. Still have the same battery and alternator. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
curtishicks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tech said i need to add a 10 gage wire from alternator to starter does anyone know what size fusible link i need to add to my 10 gage wire.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by curtishicks
My tech said i need to add a 10 gage wire from alternator to starter does anyone know what size fusible link i need to add to my 10 gage wire.
I believe you already have a 8 gauge wire going from the alternator to the starter, but it does drop to 10 gauge at the fusible link. So if he is telling you that does he believe that wire is bad?

I had a bad starter solenoid that was causing my charging issues. New solenoid fixed the problem.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Way to dig up a 11 year old thread.

The charging wire is metric but similar to a 6 gauge wire, not 10 gauge, so that would be the size you'd use to replace it. You'd use a 10 gauge fusible link.

Get notified of new replies

To "CHARGE SYSTEM FAULT"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "CHARGE SYSTEM FAULT"