C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998-2000 ABS/EBCM Failure; Possible Sollution!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:56 AM
ZLTdude
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Super info, thanks.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:53 PM
BATLSTAR
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by n8dogg
I was browsing through a catalog from a company that sells and rebuilds IPC's, EBCM's, Climate Controls and other things. They list an EBCM for Corvettes! They are back ordered, BUT do repair them!

Here is the info:

Called and Confirmed
BBA Remanufacturing Inc
www.BBA-reman.com
1-866-573-2740
300 Myles Standish Blvd.
Taunton, MA 02780
$225 Plus Shipping
1-2 Business Days To Complete Repairs

Part Number: 09360921 (98-00 Corvette EBCM)

This is still valid info as of 8/18/2017. I just called and spoke to them. I am sending my EBCM with Active Handling (ABS-5-TCS/AH) Model # 09360921 and they charge $300 for repair and 6-8 days turn-around time. FYI, my error code is C1243 which so far, no one else said they would fix.

You need to follow theses steps. Write down the error code(s) from your display. Take the ECBM out (a pain in the a$$), write down the ABS code on the unit, write down the Model # and then call them. If you just want to test it, they charge $100. If it's unrepairable due to flooding damages, rusted out etc., there's a $35 fee. Let's keep fingers crossed that we can all find a solution, because apparently, GM has not done anything to fix this issue and let us all out to dry. That is completely unacceptable.

Why doesn't our Congress and Senate force GM to stand by what is clearly a manufacturing defect and absolutely poor design. I know that 4-Star General Powell and ex-VP Biden are avid Corvette lovers. Why don't they use their influence and force gm TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?
The following users liked this post:
TriVetteNut (05-07-2020)
Old 08-18-2017, 03:12 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Not to go all political on this thread but with the long list of problems this country faces, pretty sure Corvette EBCM's don't even crack the top 1000.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by BATLSTAR
This is still valid info as of 8/18/2017. I just called and spoke to them. I am sending my EBCM with Active Handling (ABS-5-TCS/AH) Model # 09360921 and they charge $300 for repair and 6-8 days turn-around time. FYI, my error code is C1243 which so far, no one else said they would fix.

You need to follow theses steps. Write down the error code(s) from your display. Take the ECBM out (a pain in the a$$), write down the ABS code on the unit, write down the Model # and then call them. If you just want to test it, they charge $100. If it's unrepairable due to flooding damages, rusted out etc., there's a $35 fee. Let's keep fingers crossed that we can all find a solution, because apparently, GM has not done anything to fix this issue and let us all out to dry. That is completely unacceptable.

Why doesn't our Congress and Senate force GM to stand by what is clearly a manufacturing defect and absolutely poor design. I know that 4-Star General Powell and ex-VP Biden are avid Corvette lovers. Why don't they use their influence and force gm TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?

So, let us know when they successfully fix yours....
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 PM
Marc@Vettenuts.net
Supporting Vendor

Received 232 Likes on 134 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by BATLSTAR

There web site shows they repair 01-04 but no 97-00. To get these units apart is a major PITA. I will bet you they send it back and say they cant fix it and charge you the $35 fee. I hope i am wrong! The early style versus the later are two different animals. There is a thread where you can fix the relays in them but thats it. Its for one code and i cant recall it, maybe a 1214.

Please keep this thread posted.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 AM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SERIOUSLY ??? GM SCREWS UP AND SHOULDN'T BE EXPECT TO FIX IT ?? You think it' OK to have a major safety component that's poorly designed, and GM shouldn't be expected to AT LEAST provide replacement parts for repair ? A Corvette is not a Yugo. In case you haven't noticed, a Corvette it a rather pricey car and at least in my humble opinion, GM should be making replacement parts available. IF their original design is flawed, find a fix for the problem and make it available, FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. A FAULTY EBCM is a SAFETY issue and SHOULD be fixed under a RECALL. YES, GM NEEDS TO GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ASSES AND FIX THEIR PROBLEM.

I'm not an electronics kinda guy so sucking solder is not my specialty however I was able to replace both relays on the circuit board. The relays are cheap so I figured, what the hell. It was worth a shot. I figured the relays are the only thing with moving parts and hopefully I'd get away with it. No such luck. Time to write to NHTSA and see what they have to say. If enough people write to them it's not outside the realm of reality that they'd have a recall. GM ABSOLUTELY should have to come up with a repair for this issue, PERIOD !

Last edited by psint; 01-19-2019 at 07:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by psint:
ArmchairArchitect (01-21-2019), TriVetteNut (05-07-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Josephu
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 137 Posts

GM could care less about you or anyone else. Its all about money, period. Besides, these cars are 20 years old. Now, GM is going to try to ram these electric cars down our throats. There wont be any more "Buying" cars. Too complicated and expensive to fix. "Renting" will be the new standard. Keep the money comming in month after month, year after year. Just wait until they open that can of worms.. Id like to know where all the Cobalt is going to come from for these batteries. Right now it comes from the mines in the Congo. And who do you think mines this stuff??? I will let you guess!! You dont need ABS or Active handling on these C5 Corvettes. And if you want to ply your soldering skills, pull the gauge cluster and get rid of the "Check Engine Lite" and the ABS Lite. You will still have a lot of fun in your early C5 Corvette.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Yea, I would pay a handsome sum for that part and wish somebody made/repaired them but it seems like it is “not possible”.
TriVetteNut (05-07-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Well GM is not going to re-engineer anything or re tool to make these parts. Actually C5 owners lucked out when GM decided to re tool for the TAC module. The issue with the aftermarket fixing this is all the lawyers out there. The first time someone wants to install one themselves and screws it up, it is a lawsuit and it costs a lot of money at the end of the day to defend yourself. You could end up spending a 100k to find out the customer installed it wrong and you when your case, you still spent 100k. So nobody is going to touch it unfortunately. That is why we didn't do it as well. We were going to make an update that would allow the 97-00 cars to use the 01-04 unit.
TriVetteNut (05-07-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 AM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did you decide not to do the update to use the 01-04 unit?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 PM
Zip Corvettes

Because it was not OE. So lets say person A owns a 98 Corvette, he has a bad ABS unit and buys a kit the company B has to update the ABS unit. Now say person A installs it, it works and he is happy. Person A 3 months later is driving recklessly and gets into a bad accident and the individual in another vehicle gets killed. Person claims he couldn't stop, now this could me a bunch of things, but the lawyer for the family of the person deceased will have the vehicle looked over. If they find this "fix" but not OE and not tested by GM and NHSTA then guess who get sued along with person A. Company B, which may or may have had absolutely nothing to do with any of it. Their day in court will come and can prove they were not the cause of the accident, or may not be able to prove it. Either way the min you just spent is 100k easily so there is the reason you will never see an company come out with it. You may think that is far fetched, but may I mention two names, Ford and Firestone and both of the companies were big enough to survive something like that, but most small companies are not. Wait until someone gets in an accident and say the throttle hung open, you wait to see what happens to the "tuners" who are turning off the P0068 code in the PCM. You will see a monster lawsuit there as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:15 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

I completely understand that, given the litigious society we live in. I was more wondering if there was a mechanical/electrical/ computer reason if wouldn't work. I'm talking here about swapping in an 01-04 unit.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Use the SEARCH, there was an article a few years ago about a forum member who did it, as I recall it was 2016. I have a copy of it somewhere on another computer.
10.5Vette (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:59 PM
10.5Vette
Burning Brakes

Found it! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM
Zip Corvettes

Pretty sure it would work with no issues, but because of what I mentioned earlier we stayed away from it. There is a whole bunch of module we would like to do on the C4 as well but this is the problem.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Pretty sure it would work with no issues, but because of what I mentioned earlier we stayed away from it. There is a whole bunch of module we would like to do on the C4 as well but this is the problem.
Anyway your lawyers can find an IRON CLAD DISCLAIMER Statement to deny responsibility?? I realize its a tough situation to be in as a VENDOR of aftermarket parts.

Thanks

Bill
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Zip Corvettes

Bill,
Even if you did, you would still have to represent yourself in court and prove that whatever happened was not associated with your part. It can happen on any part but when you manufacture or modify and OEM piece the scrutiny is much worse. GM spends massive money on testing because of this. Just can't risk it and no matter how many of these you could sell, it would all go backwards with one lawsuit. This is why you are not going to see it done, I have talked to several manufactures that have wanted to do this part but we all have the same reason as to why we have not.

Get notified of new replies

To 1998-2000 ABS/EBCM Failure; Possible Sollution!

Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Bill,
Even if you did, you would still have to represent yourself in court and prove that whatever happened was not associated with your part. It can happen on any part but when you manufacture or modify and OEM piece the scrutiny is much worse. GM spends massive money on testing because of this. Just can't risk it and no matter how many of these you could sell, it would all go backwards with one lawsuit. This is why you are not going to see it done, I have talked to several manufactures that have wanted to do this part but we all have the same reason as to why we have not.
I KIND OF KEW THE RESPONSE!! Just had to ask it to get the response out there to the people who DONT know... Thanks for all that you do!!

Bill
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net
There web site shows they repair 01-04 but no 97-00. To get these units apart is a major PITA. I will bet you they send it back and say they cant fix it and charge you the $35 fee. I hope i am wrong! The early style versus the later are two different animals. There is a thread where you can fix the relays in them but thats it. Its for one code and i cant recall it, maybe a 1214.

Please keep this thread posted.
I have replaced the relay on a 01-04 modul and also on the 97-04 modul myself .

If you have a heated solder sucker and some soldering skills it is not so hard difficult to replace relays on the 97-00 EBCTM modules (in my opinon).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tc-1243-a.html
Old 07-21-2019, 09:24 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02koolC5
well that stinks i take it that abs fixers doesn't do the repair on those early years? can't the early year guys try the relay fix like we later models do, i have an 2002 and i replaced the relay got the relay from digi-key.com the relay is the white square, i know our unit are not the same but maybe similar, and relay could be cross reference at digi-key....just thought i'd offer another view, i may be way off base here
Well I have a 2000 corvette and for the last couple of weeks I have been getting message service active handling and traction control . Yesterday while drive my corvette I got up to forty miles and stomped my brakes and the message popped up I think it said traction and since then I stopped getting the message . I will update if I get the pop up warnings again . I drove several times today and no message .

Last edited by sts57c5; 07-21-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Mis spelled word

Quick Reply: 1998-2000 ABS/EBCM Failure; Possible Sollution!